“Great place for seafood”

Sandpiper Restaurant
Price range: US$14 - US$39
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Established in 1982, the Sandpiper Restaurant's success is born of loyal customers, dedicated staff, and the finest quality of steaks and seafood with our own homemade flair. We strive to serve fine spirits and wholesome meals within a pleasant, comfortable atmosphere.
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This place has a great bar and some of the best food around. Fresh fish, done with interesting sauces, fried oysters - awesome! Try the baked potato - fully loaded and so yummy. Service - I love Anne! but seriously, even having dinner at the bar you get great service.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My family and I went for dinner last Saturday night. As recommended, we arrived just after opening and were glad we did. We knew when we decided to go that the food was pricey but after reading the TA reviews, we decided to try it anyway. We found that the food was good but not good enough considering the prices. We each had the corn and crab chowder, and it was the best part of the meal! My husband had the shrimp and crab cake combo for his dinner and I had the Ahi tuna special. I did like the fact that they do "small" plates from the adult menu for children - our daughter does not like ordering off the kids' menu and was able to order a small-size fried oysters for dinner. So, it was nice but we probably won't go back because of the prices.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Whether a local or a visitor, the Sandpiper is a must. Fantastic specials showcase outstanding good preparation, great home town service, and my favorite - seafood. Salmon and grouper were superb, pork chop was perfectly done, crab cakes are best around, and a nice touch with homemade salad dressings. Also a good choice of locally brewed beers. Get there early.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

This past weekend was my first visit to the Sandpiper. A local took me and had been raving about it for years. My initial impression was positive. We were seated promptly and greeted with a friendly "hello". At some point in the meal, the owner, Kelly, came to our table and introduced herself. She was very friendly.

My friend and I said after our meal that if the owner would make some slight adjustments the place would probably be packed all the time. 1) Have white linen tablecloths. The tan plastic was definitely not suitable for that type of restaurant; 2) Change the décor inside. The lighting perhaps with candles on the table and some music being played; 3) Change the bread that is served. The bread was definitely nothing to write home about. Reminded me of a small plain loaf of cheap Italian bread you could buy at your local Food Lion.

The seafood was priced about $5 to $7 higher per entree than the some of the best seafood restaurants I have been to. For that kind of price you would expect waiters in tuxedos, white tablecloths, music, and to die for seafood entrees that no one around could match. The Sandpiper unfortunately doesn't have those things so Kelly needs to drop the prices if she wants her restaurant to be full all the time like another local establishment. Sorry - not trying to be mean - just stating the truth in these times when people are watching every precious dollar.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We enjoyed our recent dinner at the Sandpiper. We were visiting family from out of town and they took us for dinner. We tried first on a Wednesday night and there was a 45 minute wait, so we came back to try the next night. Although the waiting for a table area was very busy, the bartender did a great job keeping up and completing drink orders from the restaurant, all with a smile on her face which was great. First thing you see when you walk in. Decor is a little dated and it's particularly loud in the restaurant. I understand everyone wants the "porch" area which has windows but just looks out into the parking lot, so we just ate in the dining room. Our waitress for some reason seemed to take a special interest in making sassy comments to me, which was really not appreciated. She did continue to check on our orders and kept checking on us even though she was very busy. Waitress was knowledgeable about the menu, including the specials. Their selection of wines and microbeers, were impressive but not stuffy or overwhelming. The liver was done very well, and I don't particularly like liver. There was a lamb special that night and it was such a mild tasting lamb, you might not know it was lamb if you tried it - very tender and prepared very nicely. Steak was also good. I ordered the mussels and pasta which was a special that night. Mussels done perfectly, but I didn't care for the sauce - advertised as a white wine and garlic sauce, there was simply something in it that I didn't care for, and it wasn't the wine or garlic. Pasta was also cooked a little too long. As we were leaving, I thanked our waitress for the wonderful food and great service and said "we had a lovely time". She picked up the empty wine bottle we had had with our dinner and smiled and said, "I'm sure YOU did have a good time". Hmmm.... I simple thank you come again would have been okay too. That's the only comment she made that I remember, but we'd be back for the food. I believe they take reservations and as busy as they were on a Wednesday and there was a wait when we went back Thursday, so definitely call ahead if you can.

1  Thank Katherine H