“Daughter's 16th Birthday Weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cascades Motel

Cascades Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Williamsburg
Cascades Motel
Ranked #39 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
mechanicsville,VA
“Daughter's 16th Birthday Weekend”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Took my daughter and 5 of her friends for an overnight and Williamsburg tour. Great value and setting! Awesome customer service! Great breakfast that's included at the Woodlands. Would definitely go again!

Room Tip: Regular rooms are nice, but corner rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank goldngirl66

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We have stayed here several times with our dog. I think as long as you know what to expect it's a great place to stay. The rooms are certainly dated but the facilities are very clean. It's easy to walk to the downtown historic area from this hotel, which makes it perfect for travelling with our beagle, there is also a nice wooded area around the hotel that is good for walking around. Breakfast is free at the woodlands.

Honestly, if we didn't bring the dog we would stay somewhere else, but of the dog friendly options in Williamsburg this one works best for us. The other dog friendly option is the Williamsburg Inn, which is much more luxurious, but also considerably more expensive and requires a pet deposit.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, they are larger with more windows.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank jemmabeans
Reisterstown, Maryland
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We (Regina, Nancy & Marianne) had to find a pet friendly hotel and they opened the hotel for us. We liked the room. The outside space is wonderful for the dogs and for us it was great being apart of the Woodlands. Also being in walking distance to Colonial Williamsburg. Great to know where to stay in the future!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Regina W
FAYETTEVILLE
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The Cascades Motel is NOT listed as a Colonial Williamsburg lodging area but it is there right next to the Woodlands Hotel. You have to ask for it, I am not sure why but it is the BEST deal. The Corner rooms are nice and roomy. Plenty of space for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. The rooms have 2 double beds and a sofa bed. With your room comes breakfast at the Woodlands. What a deal!! I would recommend the Cascades to ANYONE who wants to stay on the Colonial Williamsburg site.

Room Tip: Ask for the Corner Rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Arkansawyer3T
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed staying at the Cascade Motel. We loved that we were able to bring our dog for FREE! Our room was very clean and comfortable. We both slept well in the beds but because they were doubles we slept separately for more room. The wooded area was beautiful around the motel. Our dog loved going for walks here. I would bring bug/tick spray if you plan to walk near the woods or use the amenities in the wooded areas. I found a small tick on myself. You get all the benefits of the resert for a more affordable price! I will say the hotel is dated and the TV is old but it's not terrible! Think of it like spending the night at your grandmas. Also you have to call the resort to get information and reserve this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
9 Thank JBHatfield
Virginia
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I am hesitant to say anything negative about a property that allows dogs since they are so few and far between. We brought our golden retriever with us and this motel does not charge extra for pets!

As other reviewers have stated, this is an old property. From the outside my husband (retired military) said it reminded him of billeting. However it is surrounded by woods which is nice and plenty of places to walk your dog. Our room was plain but fine. We asked for and got a corner room which is bigger. Nice floor to ceiling windows let in lots of light. We also had a sofa and small table and chairs in our 2 queen room. So with our larger dog and 2 small kids we were not cramped. It was quiet and the AC worked great.

Our only issue was we had asked in our reservation for early check in. We arrived 2 hours before check in time and room wasn't ready. OK that is fine. So I asked front desk if he could find out approx. how long it would be. He just said 4PM and that housekeeping was working as fast as possible. No attempt to contact housekeeping on the radio to even find out for me. Kids and husband changed and went to the Woodlands pool next to the Cascades. I had to wait in the car with the dog with the AC on. After an hour plus, I saw a housekeeper and asked if she knew about how much longer for the room to be ready. She said it was the first room she had done that day! So much back and forth on my cell with VERY unhelpful front desk staff member who kept insisting room wasn't cleaned and not inspected yet and that no he wouldn't be finding out for me from the inspector person when it would be." You have to wait until 4...nothing is promised until 4. " Finally we got the OK to move in from housekeeping. Head back to front desk over at Woodlands to get keys only to be told room was STILL not ready according to their computer system. At this time it is past the golden and sacred hour of 4PM! UGH! So hot and frustrating and now have dripping wet and whining kids to shuttle back and forth between properties trying to get the keys. After all of this, first thing I see in the bathroom is a dirty used cotton ball in the middle of the floor. So much for the housekeeping inspection! Other than that, the room seemed clean enough. There was obviously some sort of disconnect between the front desk and the housekeeping staff and the updating of the computers as to what rooms are ready.

Also in my phone reservation I had asked for a fridge in the room. When I checked in I asked again about the fridge and was assured it would be in the room. We got to the room and of course, no fridge. However it was quickly brought over when I called to ask.

Someone credited us $30 for the mix ups at check in (we didn't ask) so that was a nice surprise. They also allowed us to check out 2 hours late so kids could enjoy the pool in the morning which we also appreciated.

We did bring our regular Target hair dryer with normal power/wattage and it blew out the bathroom circuit in the morning. (a motel hairdryer is supplied in the large armoire) It didn't take long to get the power back on after we called the front desk though.

You do get a free breakfast which is shared space with the Woodlands hotel guests. I did not go but my husband says it was jam packed with people. There is a playground and putt putt golf as well as the Woodlands pool to enjoy. It is within walking distance to the big Visitors Center and to the buses going to the colonial area as well as Busch Gardens.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room. Larger size and nice windows
Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank plm2010
Bluffton, SC
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Quaint and Quiet

First of all, if you are looking for "Hilton" amenities keep looking. If you are looking for peace and quiet look no further.
The Cascades is an annex of the Woodlands which is located on the Grounds of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation "compound". It's a small motor-court style motel that was built in the 1950's that is usually used for overflow when the Woodlands is full. It's located in a quiet wooded area on the back of the property.
Most of the rooms are "smaller" but not dinky. If you ask for a corner room you will get a larger room with a sitting area. Usually they assign the corner rooms first. And if you still need more room just book two rooms because most of them join together, and they are so wonderfully priced that getting two rooms won't be a stretch.
What the Cascades doesn't have: WiFi (a five minute walk to the nicely appointed lobby will solve this), refrigerators (if you ask for one they will bring one to your room), microwaves, coffee makers (again....five min walk to the lobby), Wall mounted hair dryers (Some folks apparently can't live without this).
Otherwise the rooms are super clean and decorated nicely. The customer service is fabulous and they are quick to remedy any problem you have. The only problem we had was that the washing machine ate our quarters but they refunded our $2.00 promptly.
Another awesome amenity was the FREE HOT breakfast!
Usually its not even worth milling around to wait in line for a free breakfast, but here the breakfast is in the conference center (five min walk) so it's large enough for hundreds of guests. They have several buffet lines and at least 6 employees refilling and sprucing up after guests so you never have to wait around for more coffee or more scrambled eggs. Another thing that impressed me.... FOUR WAFFLE IRONS! Not only were there four waffle irons.... There was FRESH whipped cream, blueberries, strawberries and chocolate syrup to put on your waffle.... Did I mention the FRESH WHIPPED CREAM?
Overall our $68 (w/AAA discount. $80 without) a night at the Cascades was the find of a century! We were getting ready to plunk down $120 a night at the Holiday Inn. The only way we knew about the Cascades was because we saw it on the way out after a stop at the Williamsburg Visitors Center. We decided to go in to the Woodlands to see if they had any rooms available here and we were glad we did because I had checked online for prices at the "official" Colonial Williamsburg hotels but the prices were much higher. So my suggestion, if you want to stay in any of the Williamsburg Foundation hotels, is to call (on the telephone) to reserve them. Because the prices online are 100% higher than if you call or physically go in.
One last thing... The little shampoos and soaps they have in the rooms are THE BEST! They are from "The Spa" at colonial Williamsburg and will rival any found at the Hilton or Four Seasons! Especially the soap, it was a lovely oatmeal "French milled" type of fancy soap.... Totally awesome!

• Stayed July 2013