Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn
The Historic Powhatan Resort(Williamsburg)
US$104
US$89
  • Pool
Comfort Inn Williamsburg Gateway(Williamsburg)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$72
ComfortInn
Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg(Williamsburg)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$99
DoubleTree by Hilton Williamsburg(Williamsburg)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$109
US$245
Official Website
US$62
US$60
Marriott's Manor Club at Ford's Colony(Williamsburg)(Great Value!)
US$125
Williamsburg Inn(Williamsburg)
US$556
Official Website
1,070 results
All reviewscolonial williamsburgroom was cleanbusch gardensfree breakfasthistoric areaindoor poolcracker barrelbreakfast areagolden corralhot breakfastyogurtstaff was very friendly and helpfulbreakfast staffwould stay againhot tubnice stayshort drive
Reviewed 8 August 2011

one of the most noticeable thing in this hotel is their elevator; it is not ventilated. hopefully, nobody gets stuck in their elevator as it would guarantee a heatstroke if it happens in the middle of summer. their rooms are large, beds are comfortable. the location is within walking distance from restaurants and within minutes of a car ride to colonial williamsburg and jamestown .you get what you pay for in this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
bwha47138, General Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

I would like to thank you for informing us about your concerns. We will definitely look into that thank you so much. And we do hop you give us the opportunity to serve you and your family again.

amaldonado@carltonhospitality.com

Reviewed 7 August 2011

I have been reviewing this hotel since April 28, 2011, when I cancelled our reservation at a competing chain and booked a room here, based on the positive reviews and the encouraging responses from the Manager to any negative comments. I understood that breakfast was "horrible" and I was prepared to accept a minimal room--it was a great price. However, what we received was purely unacceptable. This is my first tripadvisor.com review because I was so repulsed by my stay I will avoid all Best Westerns in future (except the BW in Fargo--an exceptionally clean facility).

We arrived to our room on the 4th Floor to open the door to the most dirty, run down rug I have ever had to place my feet on in a hotel (in fact, I refused to go barefoot at all and kept putting on and removing my socks when I needed to move about the room), there was a thick layer of dust coating the lighting fixture in the bathroom (literally a black mass of dust covering about a square foot of the lighting grid--please see picture). The room looks like it hasn't had a thorough cleaning or renovation in many, many years. The door knob to the bathroom was disgusting (needs replacing), the nightstand stood approximately four inches from the wall and when I peeked behind it there were Kleenexes and a thick coat of dust. I immediately checked the bed for bedbugs, as that is my standard practice. None, thankfully, were found.

Throughout our stay, I tried to persuade my husband to change rooms, however, he was worried we would be moved to a worse room. We didn't want to pay more to go to another hotel, as rates would be at a premium with such short notice. So we were stuck.

Saturday, the first day of our stay, we went down to breakfast as early as possible (after hearing of the congestion)--not to worry, there was no edible food to be found as the bread order hadn't come in. I believe I went with the oatmeal that day, along with some watered down coffee. Sunday, I avoided it completely, but my husband brought me up some dry toast. Monday I went down, but they were out of coffee, and I got stuck with the one-sided toaster. As the breakfast attendant was making more coffee, people kept demanding he get them some from the back, so he'd take their cup and fill it--no wonder the coffee was mostly water!! On this same day, there was no where to sit, so we took our food (my half toasted toast) to our room. The cereal containers are filthy--so filthy my husband just wanted to grab them and take them to our filthy room to clean them. The two men working there (one young, one older) seem to stand around waiting for people to approach them--they are not proactive and THEY DO NOT CLEAN. The place is a pigsty with flies EVERYWHERE. On Tuesday a woman dropped a hard-boiled egg onto the food- and crumb-smeared counter and looked at me asking if she should put it back into the egg bin--What?? Throw the thing away! I could go on and on about breakfast, but if you take your chances, you'll see what I mean.

Finally, 48 hours after checking in our cards were deactivated. No one at the front desk could explain why and they did reactivate them quickly, however, we received the drill about things that will demagnitize them. We had them in the same place every day--we did nothing to demagnitize the cards, so we don't need the lecture. Also, the back door was completely broken off one day (let alone left open), the laundry room is a complete fire hazard with lint EVERYWHERE--piled up behind the machines to look like pillows have been stuffed back there. And, the panel to the one elevator was not locked. One could actually pull open the panel and view all the wiring. Perhaps not the safest elevator in Williamsburg.

The only positive comments I can make about this hotel is that the air conditioner worked, the bed was comfortable, and we had a working fridge and microwave. Also, the morning person at the front counter (not sure of her name) was always pleasant.

There, I've had my say...Please heed my warnings and stay far away from this hotel. And Alanna, I am sure you will feel badly about my inconveniences and my dissatisfaction, but these problems are not superficial--they run deep and they need to be addressed, with soap, hot water and massive amounts of staff training, not given apologies and lip-service in a public forum.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MSmith1968
bwha47138, General Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2011

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. As I can see your concerns, If I would of recieved this information before the day you checked out I may have been able to find out what happened with that room and been able to accomodate you. As this information was given at the day of check out. There was really nothing I was able to do to make your stay a little better on the day you checked out .

Wish you and your family the best of luck on your future vacations.

amaldonado@carltonhospitlaitiy.com

Reviewed 7 August 2011

This is our second visit this year and it is just a pleasurable now as it was then. We were here in the winter and the place was pretty much empty. It is filled to the rom now. The continental breakfast area was a little overwhelming at times but other than that we enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed: August 2011
bwha47138, General Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2011

We are so glad you came back to see us. It has been a pleasure serving you and your family. We are looking forward to having you back.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

everything, and everyone was great! Very friendly staff, great pool area and awsome breakfast!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Puchi12364
bwha47138, General Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2011

On behalf of the staff of Best Western Plus HIstoric Area we would like to Thank you for staying with us. And we look foward to seeing you and your family again soon.

Best Western Plus HIstoric Area
amaldonado@carltonhospitality.com

Reviewed 30 July 2011

My wife and I had made reservations that included tickets to Colonial Williamsburg. When we arrived, the hotel did not have our tickets ready, and so we had to wait until the next morning to receive them. Conversations with the hotel staff were frustrating at some points. The room was also too warm; I was glad that I brought a fan with me. The elevators were like ovens. Breakfast was no more than adequate; the bread for toast was still frozen, and the two waffle makers were in constant use so I never got to try them. Overall, a decent value, but I would have spent a little more for a nice place if I had known what to expect.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
bwha47138, General Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced during you stay.
At Best Western Plus Historic Area, we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectation. We do hope you give us the opportunity to serve you and your family again. Please accept our sincere apologies.
We deeply value your relationship with Best Western Plus Historic Area and are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our customers deserve the very best. If you have any further questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to discuss it with us.
We Hope that you give us the opportunity to serve you and your family again.

Yours in service,