“Just Average, Not "Plus"”

Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn
Ranked #17 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 13 October 2011

After two nights at the Best Western Plus Historic Area hotel in Wiliiamsburg, Virginia, I would definitley say it is not a "Plus" hotel. Best Western has recently started categorizing their hotels into 3 categories: Best Western, Best Western Plus, and Best Western Premier. This summer we stayed at 2 Best Western Plus hotels in California that definitely deserved their "Plus" rating with large rooms furnished with upgraded amenities such as sitting areas with sofas, flat panel televisions, and large work desks. This hotel in Williamsburg had none of these upgraded features. It was small and sparsely furnished with a tiny bathroom and only two not very comfortable chairs at a small table. Lighting was poor in most of the room and the television looked like a refugee from the 1980s. On our second day, the room service staff also did not replace the hand towels or washcloths and I needed to go request them from the front desk. Average yes, but most definitely not a "Plus" facility.

On the "plus" side, it was clean and the staff were friendly The expanded continental breakfast included a waffle maker (long lines though) and hard boiled eggs, but the coffee was mediocre and there was not enough seating for the number of guests.

We had earned a free one night stay which we used for our first night, so I wonder if that resulted in us being given the worst room in the hotel. I should have complained but had a very full schedule so just didn't want to deal with changing rooms. Besides, shouldn't the most loyal customers that earn a free night be rewarded with the best, or at least one of the better, rooms rather than the worst? I would think that is just good customer service.

The price of over $100 with taxes was for a "Plus" hotel, but what we got was definitely an "average" hotel. Go elsewhere as there are dozens of hotels in Williamsburg that are just as nice or better for much less.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere. Overpriced for what you get.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
bwha47138, General Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2011

On behalf of the staff and myself I would like to apologize for the issues that occurred during your stay. I understand your concerns and I will take that into consideration for the New Year. We do our very best to ensure that our have an enjoyable stay. I do hope in the future you would give us the opportunity to serve you and your family again.
amaldonado@carltonhospitlaity.com

Reviewed 13 October 2011

This hotel is incredibly noisy. I cannot understand how somebody can stay in a room near the vending and ice machines (no door there). Every night there is also noise which seems to come from outside.

When me and my wife arrived, we received a room which soon we discovered having a lot of noise. The source? The fluorescent lamp at the entry. Our room was changed but we lost half an hour.

Besides this point, the room was not clean: not the floor and not the closet (where there is the TV) with a thick layer of dust (I am quite high so, I could observe it in all its splendour).

The breakfast was dull and the indoor pull can not be used because of the huge amount of chlor used.

In the second day, during our absence, the towels were changed but nobody arranged the bed.

Sufficient bad points with no justification to entitle the hotel a 'Best Western.Plus"

Room Tip: Don't take this hotel if you have noise problems.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. I have informed maintenance about the florescent light. And we will have that taken care of as soon as possible. I also would like to apologize about the dust in your room. I have also informed the executive housekeeping so that she can make sure that does not happen again. I can understand your concerns with the breakfast but it is just a contintel breakfast. If there are items you would like to see please let me know I would be more than happy to pass it along to the powers that be. And the pool I would like to assure you that the pool is checked every day by our maintenance supervisor who is pool certified. We will make sure all the information that you have giving us will be completed. As it is our goal here at Best Western Plus Historic Area that all of our guests have an enjoyable stay. We hope that you give us the opportunity to serve you and your family again.

Yours in Service

Reviewed 6 October 2011

I had just a quick overnight at the Best Western. It was a very nice hotel and everybody there is super friendly. I had a very nice room that was very spacious.The location was perfect, plenty of things that you can walk to food, entertainment, stores, etc. I am going to recommend this hotel to my friends an co workers.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
bwha47138, General Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2011

On behalf of the staff and myself ……We want to thank you for staying with us here at Best Western Historic Area. We are sorry you did not get to spend as much time as you would have like. But that just means you get to come and visit us again.
We wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.
Best Western Historic Area

Reviewed 4 October 2011

It's been a minute since my last visit to the burg. Came for a William and Mary visit. Stayed at another location across town the last time I was here. This hotel was in the center of town, good location, and price was very reasonable. It was just basic, nothing spectacular but it had everything we needed. The room was clean and the people were nice. I'd stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank lovinlife613

I would like to thank you for your recent visit to Best Western Historic Area. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.
I am glad that the accommodations and service was to your liking, as complete satisfaction is our goal here at Best western Historic Area.
We would love to have the pleasure of seeing you as a regular guest when you are in the Williamsburg area.
We are looking forward to your next visit and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Reviewed 26 September 2011

Can't complain. We wanted a nice hotel to stay at for a few nights while we went to Bush Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg, without having to spend a lot and this was perfect. It was very close to Colonial Williamsburg. Yorktown, Jamestown, and Bush Gardens were not a far drive either. The hotel was clean, free wifi, plenty free parking, indoor pool and hot tub. I did not get a chance to use the pool, also complementary breakfast which was okay. Remember this is only a 2 star hotel I believe so It exceeded my expectations and was great for the price.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
bwha47138, General Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2011

On behalf of the Best Western Plus Historic Area Staff I would like to say thank you. We are so gald you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 19 September 2011

I would like to start off by saying that I am a repeat customer at this particular Best Western. I have chose this hotel for my stay the past 3 years each and every time I visit Williamsburg which happens to be 2-4 times a year. The front desk staff is always very friendly. I love the fact that it has recently become a Smoke Free Hotel as for I am a Non-smoker and do not like going into rooms that have previously been smoked in and smell the old stinch! The rooms are usually clean and the staff is very helpful the few times that towels have been missing or the room was not clean. About 6 months ago when I stayed there I was double charged for the room after paying cash at the time of check-in but the staff was on top of the issue right away and made sure I had a refund as quickly as possible.
However, I stayed again this past weekend and after checking my account I see that I was charged $100 the day after check-out. I thought for sure it was error again and I was double charged for the room again. I was almost certain that I was going to get another pleasant staff memeber on the phone that could help me... Instead I got Alana Maldonado on the phone who was in fact very rude from the answer of the phone and very condesending when I explained my concern to her. She stated that her "executive housekeeper" (which only means she cleans faster than all the rest, fabricated title) went into the room after I checked out and claims that the housekeeper smelled smoke so therefore she is not going to give me $100 back. I calmly explained to Alana that I am a non-smoker and I did not smoke in the room. I asked that she professionally reconsider my concern and credit my account back for the wrongfully charged $100. She denied my request! I then asked for the corporate number. Alana stated "I will give you the number and just as soon as they send me the dispute, I am going to deny it since you smoked in our room!" I am not sure how someone so rude and unwilling to listen can be in charge of a large hotel that is supposed to be DUE DILIGENT in keeping customers and making sure that they are happy returning customers.

I spoke with the corporate office and explained to them that this is a smoke free hotel and they have several cigarette bins outside of the hotel for the smokers to utilize. So you are telling me that when someone goes outside to smoke and then comes back inside, they do not have a stinch of smoke on them? All of them are going to be charged $100 to their credit card?? There is no possible way that when you walk by them that you can smell smoke lingering on them? So, if you possibly have someone that smokes a "Black & Mild cigar" which is usually smoked not all at once and then they put out the cigar, put it back in the package and return to the building, you are not going to smell the smoke lingering and you automatically have set that you will charge them $100 for LINGERING SMOKE? Does that mean they smoked in the room? NO it does not! Does that give you the right to charge someone $100 without further due respect of investigation and no evidence to back the reason why you are charging someone $100? NO, it does not give you the right to do so. So even if my fiance went outside to smoke a cigar and came back in that morning with the other half of the cigar in his pocket long enough to grab our bags, would that be suffient evidence or reason to charge a customer $100?? No, I do not feel that is good nor fair customer service.

I repeated myself in explaining to Alana that I am a NON SMOKER and DID NOT smoke in the room at all for any reason. She is going against me 100% and that is not a way to keep customers happy and keep customers coming back to your Hotel regardless of how nice the rooms are. Someone will forget how clean or not clean a room is, how comfortable a bed is or is not, how good the food is or not BUT someone will not ever forget how you made them feel wheather that was a Good or Bad impression you left them with... Excellent Customer Service is very imperative and the Customer is Always right, especially in this situation. They obviously do not care to keep customers or even look into the situation before further going on or word of mouth...

If Alana does not feel that I should get my wrongfully charged $100 back then I will be contacting the BBB and my attorney. I will visit every site possible for hotel stays and letting the world know what kind of service they will receive if having to deal with ALANA MALDONADO!!

2  Thank blueydjulia
bwha47138, General Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2011

I am so sorry you feel that way. But as Best Western Plus Historic Area being a 100% non-smoking hotel. We take these types of situations very seriously. We were notified by the housekeeper cleaning that floor that the room smelled of smoke. So as procedure we had the Executive Housekeeper check the room. The smell in the room was over whelming to the point that we had to put the room out of order.
I am sorry that you have taking this situation personal but if it was any guest who stayed here and smoked in the room they would be charge the $100 fee that is stated on your registration that you sign at check in.
Every guest that stays here should be able to get what they pay for and that is a smoke free hotel.

Reviewed 6 September 2011

My husband and I decided to spend the Labor Day weekend this year in Williamsburg; we booked at the Best western Historic Area, when we arrived at 7:30PM on Saturday night the male front desk staff handed a letter to us by the Best western management stating that we were transferred to a different hotel without our knowledge or approval, they even did not contact us to inform us about the transfer or give us the choice to cancel! Though I called them the same morning around 7:15AM and they confirmed everything is ok and my room is guaranteed since we paid in advance. I asked him if we get the same deal we paid for “king bed, breakfast” he answered well you can sleep there and come to have breakfast back at our hotel! What is this moving between two hotels and spending fuel in this economy? I asked to see the front desk manager then waited for 20 minutes until she arrived then she said “look this is what I have, you either take it or … I cannot do anything else” very bad customer service, orientation and operations.
I would defiantly not recommend this hotel at all to anyone at any time.
R&W from Maryland

2  Thank R W
bwha47138, General Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2011

I would like to apologize for the issues with your check in. Due to Hurricane Irene and the unforeseen damages that she caused us here in Williamsburg. Some of our rooms had to be placed out of order. However we do hope that you and your family enjoy the accommodations we were able to set up for you during your time here in Williamsburg VA. As our rooms are back in service and the cleanup from Hurricane Irene is complete. We do hope that you and your family give us the opportunity to serve you again.
If there is anything we can do in helping you with your next vacation. Please don’t hesitate to call us.

Yours in Service,