“positive experience”

Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn
Ranked #17 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We had a positive stay at this BW property. Staff were helpful and courteous throughout our visit. It is in a great location near all the major attractions, restaurants and shopping with easy highway access. We felt safe at all times.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Alexis W, Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you so much for your review, We are very lucky to have such a great location. Being a short drive to all of the Historic Triangles attractions works great. We hope to see you again soon, thank you so much.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Checked in late on a Friday night. My wife, four-year-old son and I were given an absolutely disgusting room. Old, stale smelling, dusty walls, mildew in the bathroom. When we pointed this out, we were given a choice of recently upgraded rooms. The new one was acceptable, but the toilet overflowed and by the time we got the mess cleaned up, it was after 2:00 am. Despite a do not disturb sign on the door, we were awakened by a maintenance man knocking in the morning. We left for the day and chatted with the housekeeping staff on the way out. When we returned in the afternoon, the room had not been cleaned and no new towels delivered. When I spoke to Dakota, at the front desk, he was dismissive, belligerent and generally disagreeable. He told me the housekeeping staff had left for the day and there was nothing they could do. When I asked to speak to his manager, he told me the manager was off for the weekend. When I told him I needed to speak to someone who could solve the problem, he told me he would leave a message for the manager, but I probably would not hear from him until the next morning. He also blamed the problem on the housekeeping staff, a team of "Chinese exchange students who don't speak English," he said. The assistant general manager, Bill Saccardi refused to call me back. Dakota at the front desk didn't know the general manager's last name - turns out it is a Lisa Hodges, but he wasn't even able to get in touch with her. Alex, who also works at the front desk was extremely helpful and insisted on cleaning the room himself. When I told Dakota this, he told me Alex was supposed to be stationed at the front desk and "shouldn't be cleaning rooms." At no point, did anyone in a position of authority ever apologize or try to rectify the problem. Additional issues, in the new room, tv reception was terrible and there was still mildew all over the bathroom and A/C is sub par. Best advice, you have choices, stay somewhere else.

5  Thank Lyle S

Thank you for sharing your review. We apologize for the difficulties you experienced during your stay and the mix up with your room. We will use your comments to improve in the future. Once again we apologize and appreciate your review.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Everything was above average, price, staff and the room. Breakfast could be a little better, but not enough to complain. The only drawback was no outside pool. Inside pool was very nice however. Had a great time,

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for sharing your experience, sounds like you enjoyed your stay. We work hard everyday to make breakfast an enjoyable part of the hotel, sounds like we may have let you down a little bit but we listen to our reviews. Thanks again for taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We booked this hotel while touring Williamsburg for two days. My first impression was that this hotel was slightly dated but was staffed with courteous and efficient staff. We were checked in very promptly and arrived in our room on the second floor. The room was of average size, nicely decorated, had almost brand new carpet, a fridge and microwave, and a goodie bag with 2 bottles of water and some snacks. We were pleased with that we were presented. The beds were comfortable, the room was quiet and the air conditioning worked well. One thing I was not happy about was the water pressure. I have never in my life seen such little water pressure in a shower. There was such little water pressure that it took literally 15-20 seconds for the water to come out of the shower head once you lifted the lever. You could hear the water trying to draft up and finally you got a very weak stream of water that barely shot 12-16 inches out of the shower head. It wasn't a huge deal, but when I pay for a hotel room I have certain expectations and a good, hot shower is certainly one of them. I had seen on several reviews that the breakfast buffet was "horrible" and that there wasn't enough room to eat. Well, both mornings we went down and were able to get a table after only a 2-3 minute wait. The buffet wasn't bad either, despite people's reviews. The staff there working the breakfast buffet worked their tails off trying to keep things stocked and cleaned. I can't say anything bad about the breakfast, except that the dining area is a bit small, but hey, its summer vacation time, people seem to make it work. The pool at this hotel was a hit for sure, it was crammed both nights. The water was on the cold side and I have to say that it was one of the dirtier hotels I've seen in a while. The pool seemed cloudy and I saw some dead bugs, hair, and a dirty band aid floating around. The pool area overall seemed very old and worn. It was very dark, dreary, and over all depressing. Several windows were condensated so badly that you couldn't see out them at all and there was a lot of rusted metal from the cholorine. None of these issues are earth shattering, but I didn't enjoy this pool area as much as I have in many other places. I would probably stay here again, I just don't know if I would use the pool area again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Alexis W, Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

We cannot thank you enough for the review you posted. We try very hard daily to please everyone in all areas but especially breakfast. We have made some changes when it comes to breakfast so it is very good to hear positive feedback. As for the pool area, thank you for letting us know of the issues, we are currently underway to resolve the window issue.
Thanks again

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We had stayed at this Best Western in December of last year with a group, so we knew we were getting a great room for a great value. In booking, we accidentally made the reservation for a day earlier than we arrived. While checking in with Eve, she found our mistake, checked with someone in the back, and let us have a room for the night at no additional cost. What can you say more? Great service, clean room, good selection at breakfast bar, nice pool, and comfortable bed for the night after a long day at Busch Gardens. Thank you Best Western for saving us in a "senior moment."

1  Thank fromVa79

Thank you for your review, I remember when you checked in and I'm glad we were able to get everything solved. We hope to see you again soon and thank you so much for the review, it is appreciated!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This was my 3rd yr. wilth my family to stay at this hotel. It has wonderful staff, good breakfast and close to all attractions. I tell all my friends this is the place to stay if you are going to Williamsburg.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We are always so happy to see reviews such as yours. We believe that we are lucky with our current staff and the customer service they provide. We appreciate the kinds words and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Spent 1 night here very easy check in room nice clean and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was weak and very crowded. They ran out of food twice and seemed like pre-frozen products used not very good but it was included. Overall if you need to stop over for a day or so it was good and a good value.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We apologize for how busy breakfast was while you were here. Unfortunately we are limited when it comes to seating which is why we added our patio recently. It does help but we it is still a challenge, we will keep trying to improve on this. Thanks again for the review.
Bill