“Good place to sleep!”

Ranked #35 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Finchampstead
“Good place to sleep!”
Reviewed 1 May 2008

Good place to stay. Big comfortable clean room, large shower (no tub) with separate basin. Fridge, iron, decent coffee,and a Microwave which unfortunately wasn't working (but I didn't mention to front desk so they had no opportunity to rectify).

One very important plus point about this property - the parking lot out front (which is nicely landscaped) is vast, and sets the property back at least 100 yards from the main road, so it is really quiet - good if like me you are a light sleeper. It's very close to Historic Williamsburg - no more than 1 minute drive away.

I didn't try the indoor pool but it looked in good order. Breakfast was well presented - the usual mix, including cereal, toast, muffins, juice and waffles.

Overall,a good experience, and at $72 incl tax, a bargain.

• Liked — Spacious, clean, set back from road
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
4 Thank Aztec_Tripper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 3 April 2008

We had a great stay at the Sleep Inn. The hotel was clean (we didn't see any mold), the staff was friendly, the kids loved the indoor pool, and the hotel is located just a few minutes from the visitors' center. The rooms were an average size and had a microwave and refrigerator (both clean). The hotel served free cookies, coffee and tea every night. The price was great and we would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Terri5
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 19 November 2007

I have stayed at this hotel a few times, the main reason I stay here is that it is always fairly cheap. Its not the nicest place I have ever stayed, but it is far from a hole in the wall. If you're lookin for a cheap place to crash between days of sightseeing this is as good a place as any. But if money is not an issue or if you are picky about your hotel than I would look elsewhere.

Some of the things I liked:
-nice small indoor pool
-make your own waffles at breakfast
-fast free internet
-located right in the main tourist hub
-nice staff

disliked:
-bathrooms were small with only a stand up shower
-some furnishings seemed a little worn

• Liked — cheap
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank TouristMD
Clemmons, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 July 2007

Just returned from 2 nights at the Sleep Inn. The rooms were small and were also plain but for the money the place was fairly clean, (the shower needed a little work) and the employees friendly. They had a free breakfast that included waffles, cereal and baked goods. This place was not spectacular but if you want a place to sleep and shower after a day at Busch Gardens or Water Country this will work.

• Liked — location to amusement park
  • Disliked — noisy
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed 16 July 2007

We needed a hotel room in Williamsburg for 2 nights on fairly short notice and were astonished at how high the prices were. I chose the Sleep Inn because it had good reviews and was under $100 a night. We arrived late on Friday night and were immediately unimpressed by the lobby area - very small and not inviting at all. We dragged our two sleepy children to the room and I immediately went to turn on the air conditioner since it was so hot and musty in the room. The air conditioning unit was COVERED with mold spores as were the bathroom walls. We were given another room that was right next to the noisy elevator, so asked for a 3rd room. Upon entering that room, my 5 year old son began to explore and opened the microwave. It was filled with foul smelling food remnants which immediately filled the musty room with a disgusting odor. Believe it or not we decided that was the best of the 3 rooms we had tried and we got our 2 exhausted children into bed. As we pulled the covers back the box springs were totally exposed (no dust ruffle, etc.) and they were completely stained with God only knows what. The hand towels were stained as were the chairs and the carpeting.
The breakfast was lame - cold cereal and apples and a crowded waffle station. As my husband and daughter ate, the TV was so loud that my husband asked the desk worker, Archie, if he could turn the TV down. Archie looked at him and replied, "Well, in a few minutes this place will be so crowded you won't even be able to hear the TV." I later asked Archie if there was a penalty for checking out early. He asked me what room I was in. I told him 318 and he said, "No, you're not. That's impossible". I have no idea why he said that but I ended up arguing with him that yes, we were indeed in room 318! When we finally did check out the two people on duty were very nice and apologetic about our stay.
We moved a block down the road to the Quality Inn on Bypass Road and had a wonderful night there for the same price. Don't stay at the Sleep Inn. You can do better.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness, staff
1 Thank wilmingtonsinger
Ohio
Reviewed 3 July 2007

This was a decent hotel although I probably wouldn't pay the same amount to stay there again. The rooms were average-sized. There is a vanity area and the bathroom has the toilet and a large walk-in shower. Really liked the shower but the lighting in the bathroom is very dim (there is a separate light in the shower, which was okay). There is also a heavy sliding door which was kind of hard to maneuver sometimes. I ended up using my own hairdryer since the one there was tiny and inadequate. Room was clean and smelled fine. The inside pool was what you'd expect, there are towels there which was nice.

Breakfast was the usual, liked the apple and orange juice options. Also had make-your-own waffles, although everyone kept burning them. The free USA Today in the breakfast room was a bonus.

Negative - the most unfriendly desk clerk I've EVER encountered, a man who never once looked up and spoke like he had a recording and was being forced to work there under duress. Maybe he was a resentful weekend worked or something, but he is obviously very unhappy with his job. It was so bad with each person that everyone in line started secretly looking at each other with incredulous looks. One man finally tried to make a light joke about something to lighten the depressing welcome and the man ignored him. It was very weird and made us initially nervous about our stay. While we were waiting, an elderly lady came up to the desk and, very nicely, indicated that her bathroom light was out. His response was something along the line of "what do you want me to do about it?". The lady didn't know what to do. The lighting is already bad and the bathroom would be pitch black. My husband found a maintenance person for her who didn't speak English but got the message across and he helped the lady.

The carpet in the halls and rooms is very ugly and frayed, and our hallway on the third floor smelled like smoke (the room was fine though). It would be ncie if they would update that - the overall look is starting to appear a little worn.

• Liked — Location, beds were comfortable
  • Disliked — Unfriendly and depressed check-in clerk (others later were nice)
MD
Reviewed 18 May 2007

We stayed in this hotel two years in a row while visiting Williamsburg. The first time we booked online and the second time we used one of those travel coupons., so we got a really good deal. It is centrally located close to all Williamsburg attractions and restaurants and close to Jamestown and Yorktown too. The location is also very quiet. It looks likes the rooms have been newly remodeled and were very clean. There is a stand up shower only, no bathtub. They have a nice lobby and a roomy breakfast area. There was the standard continental breakfast food. I especially liked the fresh fruit. They also had a inside pool and fitness center that both looked nice, although we didn't use them. I would definitely reccommend this hotel to anyone!

• Liked — how quiet it was
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple