“This one I enjoyed” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #61 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Albany, New York
“This one I enjoyed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

This hotel is just outside of the historic district. You can walk to everything, the area is nice, has a steakhouse attached to the hotel, indoor pool and spa, a few higher-end hotels in the vicinity All clean and quiet for my taste. A lot of value for the low price point charged. Would repeat (not that i ever plan to return to Williamsburg torrid summer days, but if i did then i would).

Oh - and no breakfast offered (which i never take anyway). So - there.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

Feels safe but for the price being low you end up with all the riffraff, blue collar types hooting and hollering in the halls and slamming doors all night. The hotel needs a top down cleaning, its dirty and sticky. The hallways are never vacuumed
I could not wait to check out.

• Stayed June 2012
7 Thank Trekster37
Kingman, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed here for a few days and it was a nice hotel. Walking distance to Colonial Williamsburg. The only problem we encountered was keys had to be reswiped twice. Also the front desk couldn't give much help on busses and getting around the town. But very close to Bush Gardens, Yorktown and Jamestown. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Penny E
Nottingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012 via mobile

First of all I have to confess that neither my wife or I are pet lovers and it was our mistake that we did not advise our travel agent of this fact.However this does not excuse the fact that our room was dirty damp and smelly. If you are not travelling with pets I suggest you avoid the lower floor accommodations at all costs which is where the pets appear to reside. we were not amused either by the fact that dogs barked at various times in the night and very early morning.Big mistake and a huge lesson learned.We are very experienced travellers and should have known better.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank DiscerningTourist
Branchburg, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

We visited the Clarion Hotel Historic District during Easter break with two children and a dog. The fact that we could bring our dog was a huge upside. Although when we checked in we were told that we could only stay in a certain rooms of the hotel. (Make sure you call ahead and tell them that you are bringing Fido, so you have a room!) By the end of the week, we referred to our hallway as "the kennel" as most owners would leave their barking dogs during the day. The good news is that at night, when the owners were home, it was quiet.

The best part of the hotel was the proximity to Colonial Williamsburg. After crossing the street, It was a pleasant 10 minute walk to the town, and it is a great town to walk the dog. Also, the restaurant was perfectly suited for traveling families. We were able to get up every morning to a good, healthy breakfast buffet that was always ready and very affordable. The wait staff was very pleasant.

We were able to experience several great days at Colonial Williamsburg and other local attractions. At the end of each day, the hotel pool/ hot-tub was a nice place for the kids to blow of some extra energy. We never had any issues with parking, checking in or out, or housekeeping.

The main downside from my perspective is that both the WiFi and cell phone coverage were spotty. I needed to take work meetings during the trip, and this posed a bit of a challenge.

Room Tip: Call ahead to tell them if you have a dog.
2 Thank Michael S
newark, de
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

The front desk staff seemed very preoccupied with their phone while we were checking in, and we were the only ones doing so at that moment. It was almost like we were interrupting her texts. Our room was in the hallway where the side entrance to the hotel was, and while it was nice to be able to park so close to the room, it was a horrible experience. The designated smoking section for the staff and anyone else was literally 3 inches away from the side door entrance, so the entire hallway was full of cigarette smoke. Since there was about an inch of space at the bottom of our door, a lot of cigarette smoke got under there, filling our room with cigarette smoke. I woke up at 2am and had to bury my head under the covers because of all the smoke. I won't even mention the dozens of cigarette butts all over the ground by the side door.
My husband had gotten toothpaste all over one of the towels, and I had cut myself shaving, and didn't find out until I started drying off with a different towel than his. I put both towels in the tub when we left, so the housekeeping staff could take them and give us new ones. When we got back to the room that night, I grabbed a towel that I thought had been newly replaced by the housekeeping staff, and noticed that there was toothpaste all over it. Sparking my curiosity, I checked the other towel, also thought to be newly replaced by the housekeeping staff. There was the blood I had gotten on it that morning. The housekeeping staff took our used wet and dirty towels and just refolded them and put them back.

4 Thank lorraine t
Kannapolis, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Our most recent stay at the Clarion Historic Districr was excellent as always.Totally forgeot about spring break and oh boy were they busy.Alice did her usual good job housekeeping though and Judy was her usual unflapable self in registration.

Unfortunately I must pass along a warning to future guests--do not leave open baggage with clothing in your room when you go out as we have always done but will not do again.I don't want anyone else to have the same very unpleasant surprise I did and find that the Dockers pants I had planned to wear were gone---and nowwhere to be seen.While they can be replaced I'm not sure I'll ever have the same feelings---almost like family--that I had for the staff we see every trip.
Did not want to say anything bad but future guests need to know.

4 Thank snookiesmom