“For the price... not bad!”

Travelodge Inn and Suites-Historic Area
Ranked #68 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I stayed here last week with my famiily during our visit to Williamsburg. I have to say I was a little nervous because of a lack of reviews, but the place was so cheap (we got the suite) that it was right in my price range. But once we pulled up, the hotel looked nice enough and it was in the perfect location. Right on the main street with loads of restaurants, across the street from mini golf, etc. etc. etc.

The hotel itself was nice enough from the outside. Most of the hotels on this part of the ride seemed pretty nice from the outside though. Like I said earlier we got the suite and it was so nice when it came to size. It was like having 2 rooms... but it only cost us $40 more for 2 nights. We had a mini fridge and a microwave (unfortunately we didnt end up using them, but I'd imagine that would be a nice advantage).

We had 2 bathrooms, which came in handy seeing as there were 3 women in the room. But one of the bathrooms was a little dirty, leaking water from the tub and just looked a little worn down... But the other one was fine.

The biggest complaint from my family were the beds, it was like sleeping on cardboard. There was only 2 pillows on each bed.. they gave me some trouble about requesting more than 1 towel per person... so I didn't bother asking for the pillows so I'm not sure if they would have brought us more pillows or not.

But for the price we paid, I didn't feel ripped off. There are no thrills, know that, but if you're looking for a good value and don't plan on spending too much time in your room than this is a great value for you.

Oh Also, I was there last week during the wild fire that was near by. The room did smell like fire (after we opened the door), but that was not their fault at all. The entire area smelled like a campfire... thank goodness it started raining.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
GMTravelodgeHistoric, General Manager at Travelodge Inn and Suites-Historic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2011

Allow my to first express my gratitude for your patronage here at our hotel. We certainly appreciate your review of our property, and will do our level best to ensure that your next stay here builds upon the positivity you have expressed. We understand that guest comfort and relaxation ability is paramount in the hospitality industry, and invite you to contact the hotel at any point night or day to discuss your stay with us. Enjoy the rest of your summer, and we look forward to accomodating you again in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2011

We booked a pre-paid room at this hotel after reading reviews that it was a simple hotel but clean. When we arrived to our room it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks. We called to the front desk and they moved us, but the new room was only slightly better. Black rings in the toilet, dried up soap from the last guest on the wall of the shower, the floor was gross. The sheets wouldn't stay on the bed and it was the least comfortable bed we've ever slept on. It will take days for my neck and my husband's back to get back to normal. Do yourself a favor and pay the extra $20 a night to go someplace nicer.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TUMaggieMay
GMTravelodgeHistoric, General Manager at Travelodge Inn and Suites-Historic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2011

I would first like to thank you for your patronage at our establishment. We try very hard to maintain the highest standards of cleanliness, upkeep, and sanitation at our establishment. I invite you to contact the hotel at any time to discuss the problems you may have encountered with your stay. It is our sole intention to provide the highest in postive guest experiences and we will strive to ensure that any problem that may have occurred is promptly resolved. Thank you for your input, and enjoy the rest of your summer.

Reviewed 13 August 2011

As soon as we walked in the room it smelled like mildew. The room was on the third floor & they didn't bother to tell us the elevator didn't work. Thank goodness we didn't have anyone with a disability or elderly with us. There were ants all over the sink. The beds were horrible. In the middle o the night it smelled like something was on fire. A train runs frequently right next to the hotel. The only good part was the kids seemed to enjoy the pool. Even the continental breakfast sucked. Like I said never again even if it were free. As a matter of fact I will never stay at any Travelodge because I am afraid it will be this horrible!

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank brite_eyes55
GMTravelodgeHistoric, General Manager at Travelodge Inn and Suites-Historic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2011

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you encountered during your stay at the Travelodge Inn & Suites Williamsburg Historic Area. Unfortunately during your stay the entire Williamsburg Area was encountering a backdraft of smoke from a wildfire in a neighboring region to the south. It dissapoints me to see such a review, especially since we pride ourselves in our facilities maintenance and cleanliness. We welcome the opportunity for you to speak with us directly here at the hotel. Feel free to contact us at any time regarding your stay, and we will be more than willing to address any of your concerns. Thank you again for your business, and enjoy the rest of your summer.

Reviewed 13 July 2011

We booked 12 rooms as a group for a local event. Staff was helpful in securing an awesome rate. Rooms were adequate and comfortable. Good value, nice area, helpful staff. Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Stayed in a King Suite. Bath w/ shower in each room. Basically getting adjoining rooms w/ french doors. Nice size mini-fridge. Fold-out couch mattress a little thin. The no refund, no cancellation,advance reservation booking rate was very affordable. Coffee, O.J. danish, waffles, cereal , toast on the breakfast menu that day. Nice pool, wi-fi in room. Chicago Uno across the street, Cracker Barrell next door, DQ close by. We would stay again.

Room Tip: save w/ no cancellation advance booking if sure of your arrival.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
CEG_Management, Manager at Travelodge Inn and Suites-Historic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we're happy that you took advantage of our advanced purchase rate, which offers additional savings to our guests. Our prime location near Colonial Williamsburg and William and Mary, as well as Cracker Barrel and Uno Chicago Grill, are what keep our guests coming back year after year. We have passed your comments regarding the service on to our staff and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 22 May 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel from May 9th to the 16th for a grand total of $389. For a week in Williamsburg, I thought it was a great deal. We had a two room suite which was very spacious. It includes two queen size beds in one room and a full size sleeper sofa in the other room. The mattress on the sofa bed is a little thin but alright for younger children. Each room has its own TV and full bathroom with shower,tub, toilet and separate sink area. This is one reason why I picked this hotel, with the wife and a preteen daughter having two bathrooms was a big selling point for them to be able to get ready in the morning to head out to the area attractions. Hotel staff is very friendly also and were right up to help me when my safe was locked and unable to get it opened. The location is great to colonial williamsburg 5 min away, Busch gardens 10 min, Yorktown 20 min away. Only problem that I had is that it is hard sometimes to get out of the parking lot due to no stop light but only a minor setback for the price of the hotel. I would gladly stay at this place again!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank shanena1978
HotelManagement_CEG, Manager at Travelodge Inn and Suites-Historic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2011

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel, we are pleased that you enjoyed our spacious two room suite. We are located in the heart of Williamsburg and only minutes away from Busch Gardens, Water Country USA, Colonial Williamsburg, and College of William & Mary. We have passed your comments regarding the service on to all of our staff. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 2 May 2011

We enjoyed our weekend stay at this hotel. The rates were very reasonable for what we received. The 2-room suites were spacious and provided plenty of room. The location of the hotel is great with restaurants and activities all around within a short distance. Cosmetic touch-ups are needed along hallways and stair areas, but all in all...this hotel is one we would absolutely return to.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank bgt1510

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel, We are pleased that you enjoyed our spacious suite during your stay. We strive to provide a clean and comfortable hotel and we have addressed the issues you raised regarding the condition of our hallways and stairs. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again.