“Great stay here for a week”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #53 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 1 June 2011

I was in the Williamsburg area for work, walked in to this hotel with no reservations. Got a great rate for a weeks stay. Had everything I needed and more here. Just needed a room to sleep and get my work done. No problems with my stay, it was quiet every night so I had no problems getting my work done. I even used the indoor pool and hot tub a couple times while I was here.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Needsomtimoff

Reviewed 27 May 2011

This is the most poorly managed hotel I have ever been to. Reading other reviews, it seems like if it is not too busy, you get good service; but if they are booked up, you don't stand a chance. We made a reservation for several rooms and confirmed with a credit card. When we checked in they said they didn't have rooms for all of us. Their reason? "It's a busy time of year". In addition, we had reserved rooms with two doubles and they gave us rooms with only one bed (a big problem) plus no available roll-outs and upon check out charged us $20 more a night that the confirmed rate--didn't realize it until too late. It seems like other reviewers have had similar problems--wish I had read the reviews more carefully before booking!

It was disheartening; we booked this place because we had stayed here 2 years ago and had a nice stay. It seems in 2 years the place has gone down hill. Had problems with staff that didn't know information about meals we booked, etc. (and very unhelpful) with key cards not working multiple times, broken doors (poor security), poor food service, uncleanliness (roach in one of the rooms).

There are a lot of hotels to choose from in Williamsburg that are about the same price. We will definitely stay somewhere else next time--some place more reliable and nicer.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank califdreamingirl
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Stayed here through a golf package with some friends. The room was clean when I got there and throughout the stay. The bed was very comfortable. The people that work there were very nice and knowledgable about the area. It was in a great location for what I needed it for. Having a bar in the hotel was also very nice as well.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Drivingthegreens
Reviewed 12 May 2011

Breakfast terrible (stale, cold,), nice staff in dining area, no houskeeping staff after ~4:00, rundown building

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank TimHagedorn
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I was unfortunate enough to spend one night in this hotel while I was in Williamsburg on business. I was booked in for a week but checked out after one night and moved to another hotel.

Fistly, in my reservation I asked for a room on a high floor - they put me on the ground floor, opposite the door for the gym. They said that they don't upgrade platinum Priority Club members during peak periods (even though I paid full rate for the room).

Secondly, the room was awful. Rusty and decrepit fittings in the bathroom, a cockroach in the sink, motheaten curtains and the noisiest air conditioner known to man (which barely cooled the room down).

Lastly - the noise. The hotel had a large number of schoolchildreen (I guess aged between 16 and 20) who spent most of the night screaming in the corridor outside my room. I was woken up four times. On top of this, the noise from the car park was easily heard despite the window being closed.

How this hotel got through the recent rebranding excercise is beyond me - especially when perfectly acceptable hotels like Pisa and Trieste (admittedly not in the US - maybe the requirements were different) were moved out.

I'll definitely not be returning.

Room Tip: Stay at the Holiday Inn Express instead.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Doug_1970
Reviewed 8 May 2011

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel very much during my time in Williamsburg. The staff was very helpful with any questions I had about anything(restaurants, shopping, colonial Williamsburg). The location was great for what I was looking to do in the area. I will hopefully be returning to the area in a few months and will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 30 April 2011

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Patriot in Williamsburg for my kids April Vacation. Let me assure you that we had a perfect stay here. I was able to check in early, the room was great, the staff was very helpful with any questions I had. I had one problem, my remote didn't work, big whoop I called down to the front desk and the repair man was there within a couple minutes to take care of it. I would stay at this hotel again for sure.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family