“Guns of August”

Ranked #64 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Hampton,Va
“Guns of August”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I was there for a convention and the staff was very helpful and courteous. It was a fantastic jump off point for all the attractions, shopping and food in the area. The main rooms were very well spaced out for any of the types of buisness meetings and such that would need to take place. During the time i stayed there, the people that were helping me run the convention were very pleased with how the amount of space allowed us plenty of room to set up all of our many different games. As was I. This said space also made it very easy for our convention goers to play these games comfortably. I look forward to hosting another convention at this hotel and commend anyone who decides to follow suite.

Room Tip: I had room 204 beds ,AC and maid service was GREAT !!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Moving on from a great family reunion at the Patriot. We all had a wonderful and memorable time. From the easy and cheerful checkin with Anna, we felt like at home.
Our rooms were very clean and fresh. Every room had a microwave and refrigerator, HD TV with real HD channels..so we were all set for our kids, and husbands..
We were assigned a family gathering room just for us.
The breakfasts were very tasty (and included in our group rate), and we were served by another two cheerful young ladies and Diana. Beautiful dinning room. Then, all our kids and husbands headed to Busch Gardens and we the ladies to the Outlets. Good choice. we spent all day there. In short..great hotel choice and wonderful time in Williamsburg. Thank you all.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the higher floor. Peace and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Washington DC
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed at this holiday inn for 2 nights during the week for business and experienced a number of things wrong. In my personal hotel room, the A/C unit ran very loudly and continuously. It would not turn off. I had to slam the door closed and kick it open with my foot in order for the latch to take. Otherwise, you could open the door without the keycard. My room was relatively clean though my bathtub had poor drainage. Some of the other folks I was with complained about broken appliances, stopped up toilet, and when they called the front desk, the maintenance staff showed up well past 11PM to fix the problem. The staff working at the front desk seemed either new or uninformed. The first morning, I asked the gentleman if there was a breakfast buffet. He said that there was not, but that I could order from the menu. Later that morning when I spoke with my coworkers, they all confirmed that there was a breakfast buffet, but that everything was undercooked. The next morning, I went to the buffet, but found it enjoyable. There seemed to be some confusion however, over whether we were supposed to pay for our breakfast upfront or if we could charge it to our rooms. When I got my bill, my breakfast was not included (although I asked for it to be charge to my room). The young girl working at the front desk, added it to my bill and then seemed confused when I asked her for a new receipt. The whole hotel is very rundown and in desperate need of renovating. Depending on the time of year, I would recommend staying somewhere else. If this is your only option, it will be fine, but just be aware of the problems you may encounter.

1 Thank Rinnegirl143
FOM3032, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Dear Rinnegirl143,

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. While we do try our very best to make sure everything is in place and in working order for every guest, there are things that may arise during your stay that are out of our control and if we are made aware of any situation, we are prompt to take control of the situation and remedy whatever the problem may be. I'm not sure when a maintenance person would have gone to "multiple" rooms past 11PM since that is when they usually are completed for the night, and they usually try to have everything completed before they leave, but if something is not reported till late they will stay to make sure the guest is satisfied. I do appologize for the confusion as far as breakfast, as well as you may have encountered a new employee, we do not have a buffet set up every day, but if you were with a large group that may have been why there was one set up for that day. If you are ever in the area again I would very much like the opportunity to try again to provide you with your lodging needs to show you we can provide you with the quality stay you expect.

Travellers are raving about these Williamsburg hotels

Reviewed 18 August 2012

Definately not Holiday Inn standards. Would never recommend this hotel.

1. Bottom of gate at pool area rusted at the bottom and dangerously sharp. Tetanus shot waiting to happen.

2. Toilet seat didn't cover bowl. Disgusting.

3. Plugs hanging off wall.

4. Walls scuffed and dirty. Floors stained.

5. Broken hair dryer.

6. No towels at pool. Pool smelled.

7. Smelled of mildew

8. No free breakfast.

9. One room missing bath tub stopper

10. One room sink didn't drain.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Cgriffin28
Dear CGriffin28,

It is our goal to provide every guest that stays in our hotel with a quality stay, and it seems that we failed on multiple levels during your stay and I appologize for that. I would certainly like to speak with you if possible regarding your stay to clarify which gate is rusted, to my knowledge there is no gate at the pool, it is surrounded by a wooden fence. And then the matter of the room or rooms that you were in that had this multitude of complications. I can be reached at 7575652600 EXT 169 or JoshD@hipatriot.com, my name is Josh. I look forward to hearing from you.
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I stayed here while on business as it was the recommended hotel and a group rate. Hotel is run down and old. If there had been another hotel with availability at govt rate available I would have moved. Tiles cracked, wall paper peeling, paint peeling. Elevators are old and slow. On the second day one broke leaving only one slow elevator to handle the entire hotel. Bedding was clean but the bed was worn out and in need of replacement (like everything else in hotel). There is a new holiday inn and suites down the road which is what I would recommend.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
Dear Brian M,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I'm truly sorry you found your stay here so dissapointing. We do take pride in the fact that we do have an older property, many people compliment the fact that it is not like many new properties that are thrown up quickly with no regard for quality work. We do our best to make sure every room is of the best quality for each and every guest that comes to our property, however it sounds as if we missed some things during your stay and I again appologize for that. Our property is only four floors, so I'm not sure exactly how fast an elevator can go up or down four floors, but they are serviced and maintained regurlarly, and on the off chance that we do have an issue with one of the elevators, we do shut it down for the safety of the guests until the elevator company comes to service it, usually within the same day. I'd be glad to speak about specifics for the room you stayed in so I can make sure they have been addressed, my name is Josh and I can be reached at 7575652600 EXT 169.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The first thing I noticed was the mildew smell throughout the hotel. My eyes and nose have been burning since the first day. Myself and three coworkers had breakfast this morning in the hotel restaurant. The food was ok but the restaurant smelled like mildew as well. The server was very nice but it looked like her day was starting off bad. When we asked for the bill she had to give us a hand written one on a posted note because she was locked out of the cashiers closet. She apoligized and said she would have to wait for maintence to let her in. It's good thing we had cash because there was no way to pay by credit card. All of the staff has been very friendly but based on what I have experienced I will be checking out and staying at another establishment for the remainder of my visit. I'm sorry but I can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
FOM3032, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear Craig H,

I'm not sure what you may have been smelling throughout the hotel, but I can assure you it was not mildew. Depending on how you were entering and leaving the building, you may have caught the smell of the indoor pool, that would be my only thought. I'm sorry for the error by the server for not providing you with the correct billing reciept for breakfast, I'm sure it was only a short time until the maintenance worker arrived to allow the server access to what she needed.
maryland
Reviewed 31 July 2012

My family decided to use Holiday Inn Patriot for our Family Reunion this year (July 27-29). We received the worst treatment ever. Williamsburg's temperature outside was 80 to 100 degrees. When we had our first function, the air conditioner was not turned on until maybe ten minutes before we got there. The room finally cooled down after 2 hours maybe. Then on the Saturday, the air conditioner was not turned on again until we got there. This time the temperature never left 79 degrees. It was unbearably hot. They gave fans to the other conference rooms but we never received one. In the room we were in, there was a divider but you could hear everything that went on in the next room. As we had our program, they had one family to walk through our room to get to theirs. They did not have another way for this family to attend their reunion withouth interrupting ours. The FOOD THAT THEY PROVIDED WAS AWFUL!!. We ordered the three meat dinner. Our baked ham was thin sliced deli ham. The roast beef was also deli. We were suppose to have baked whiting. The fish was filled with bones and no flavor. We were suppose to have an assortment of desserts. There was a pan of cobbler at the end of the table. The cobbler was not done. When you raked it with the spoon, the dough was still stretchy (it was not done). For the amount of money that we paid, my family had to go buy something else to eat. I feel as though we were cheated and treated really unprofessional. The heat and the food really put a damper on a great occasion. I would tell anyone to use them at your own risk)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear D4RealWoman,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I'm truly sorry there were issues that affected your family reunion. We did have an extremely busy weekend that week, with multiple family reunions and banquets going on at the same time. We did our best to accomodate everyone, and it seems we came up a little short with your group, and for that I appologize. As I said we did have other banquets that were taking place at that same time, and according to the group organizers for those groups their dinners went fine and there were no problems with the food, so I'm not sure what happened that might have made your food any different than theirs, but I will certainly check with chef to see. I hope if you're ever planning another trip to Williamsburg you come see us again, so as we can provide you with the quality you expect and deserve.