“Decent”

Ranked #64 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Eastern Shore, MD
“Decent”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Average hotel. Pool definitely needs to be updated. Stayed one night after a long day at Busch Gardens. Shower was felt fantastic! The front desk employees were very pleasant and engaging-very accommodating! Would stay with them again. Enjoy!

Stayed June 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear abr74,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments. I am very delighted to hear that we were able to meet your expectations when it comes to our hotel staff and bathroom amenities. Your feedback regarding our pool is highly appreciated and will be used to consider upgrades.

Once again, thank you for staying and we look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards,

Faith R
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Rarely does reading other reviews make me angry, but when I see a 5-star review for this motel I can't help thinking that there is something wrong going on. Folks, there is NOTHING 5-star about this hotel that could be rationally perceived. Nothing. It is a below-average Holiday Inn. Indeed, if I owned the property, I'd be hoping that Holiday Inn didn't drop me because it is clearly a below-average-for-the-chain hotel. Management is trying, and the staff is certainly pleasant, but they have an older property where some things (like the water pressure in the showers) just don't work right. Even something as simple as looking for a plug to recharge your phone is difficult because the hotel was apparently built before anyone travelled with electronics! Perhaps management could have installed a few plugs, perhaps next to the desk? Heck, I didn't even get a chair for my desk! At least the beds were fine -- Holiday Inn quality (mid-level in the hotel world).

Much of the hotel's business seems to be from lower-budget conferences and, frankly, the motel works fine for that. There's nothing objectionable about staying here, and they have the room. You're certainly not going to impress anyone with the venue, but it works. I just hope the organizers got a good rate. What troubles me is that this hotel thinks nothing of charging far in excess of $100/night for rooms when, in reality, most of its guests would be more comfortable staying in hotels that charge half their rates. Bottomline, this hotel offers the comfort of a budget hotel, and you should only stay here if you get a budget rate.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dave's_reviews
KenFOM, Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Dave;

Thank you for your comments.
I am glad to hear that you have experienced a good service from our staff and liked our beds. However, I am deeply sorry that we have not met your expectations. We strive to meet and exceed our guests expectations, and I am sorry that we fell short during your visit. Hope you will return to see us in the near future, as renovations are getting underway this fall.
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Drove to Williamsburg for our anniversary dinner as the wife loves Capt. George's for the crab legs. Booked this hotel because of its convenience to Capt. George's and the outlets. Had a great dinner and did some shopping and come back to a room with no ventilation. Wife's a smoker so we had a smoking room so I get it smells like cigarettes but with no ventilation really. Next we try to connect to the Internet with absolutely no success so we call the front desk and we're told because the hotel is so busy that we would have trouble getting a signal. I stay at hotels all across this country and am a platinum member with Holiday Inn and IHG never could I not connect to the Internet because the hotel was too busy. In a previous review a reviewer said that they had trouble with the Internet and  the answer from management was that the Internet was fixed. Don't believe that. So the next morning we get up to take showers for our three hour trip home and my wife turns on the sink faucet and the tub backs up. Now we've had enough so down to the front desk we go. I ask for a manager who I'm told is not there so I leave my phone number and we travel home with the assurance that the manager would call me and I would possibly get  points back. So at 2 o'clock today I called back and ask for the manager and I'm told that he is not there yet that he would probably be in as tonight would be a busy night that he would call me. 30 minutes later the girl from the  front desk calls me back and offers me 1000 points of the 20,000 points it cost me for the room returned. So essentially the manager didn't even have the guts to call me back he made one of the girls at the front desk do it. Really sure management will respond to this by saying that they appreciate the feedback and whatever other canned answer they come up with. I seek out Holiday Inns when I go on my business trips, maybe at this point I should start giving all my business to the Hilton franchises.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
KenFOM, Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Darmjr;

I am sorry that I missed your visit to our hotel, and truly apologize for your poor experience with us. I will reach out to you shortly to discuss your stay with us, and regain your confidence in our hotel.
Gloucester, Virginia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Had a wonderful stay at the Holiday Inn Patriot! Rooms were comfy and Clean. Wonderful Front desk staff. Smooth Check-in and very helpful! Great place for family's to stay. The kids and i had a great day at the pool. Love that they have an indoor pool and outdoor. Too much sun? Just go inside!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kylersmom0904
Rebecca W, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2015
Dear kylersmom0904,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on behalf of your experience at our property! We appreciate your patronage and look forward to hosting your future stays in Williamsburg!

Regards,

Rebecca Waller
Holiday Inn Patriot
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed for a weekend and loved the convenient location. Friendly, very helpful staff. Clean, comfortable and a wonderful location, walking distance to everything. The room was wonderful and the service was amazing. A great place to stay!! Recommend it to everyone!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Arrival and check-in was a breeze. Pleasant desk staff. Given the rooms I requested (always a plus). Went to dinner and returned late to find the hallways and lobby full of teenagers. No problem...it isn't curfew yet so I don't complain. Surely my family of 2 adults and 2 pre-teens could have been placed on a different floor, but we tough it out. The room is nice, furniture is a bit outdated and there aren't nearly enough outlets for the year 2014. Bed was plush, and pillows are really soft. Microwave and fridge are a welcome amenity. Surprisingly, we didn't hear any noise after 11pm. Cool. Until...we wake up to the elevator being broken. We are on the third floor, so we struggle down 3 flights with luggage. I still don't complain. We get to breakfast, and the dining room has been taken over my teenagers. Breakfast was hearty...eggs, French toast, bacon, sausage, grits, oatmeal. The wait was horrendous (as if they didn't know 50 kids would be eating there), and the staff can't keep up with stocking the buffet. Indoor/outdoor pool was cold, probably because there is no separation of the two. They are like one pool of water divided by a wall. Hot tub was cold as well. We'll definitely return, but will inquire about large groups prior, or choose to eat breakfast somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear butta1898,

Thank you for choosing us and for taking the time to review our hotel. It is pleasing to know that our front desk was able to provide you with a smooth check in and with the room you needed.

Though I would have preferred you had a better stay, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the elevator, restaurant services and pool facilities. Rest assured that each point raised on your review will be used to consider improvements where necessary for us to give you the best hotel experience in the future.

Once again, thank you for staying and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Faith R
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel had ants everywhere in the breakfast buffet that was set up for our group.There was no food on the buffet and they had an attitude about cooking some more. Ants were crawling everywhere. The hotel hallways smelled like my great grannies clothes closet. The tour company chose this hotel for my group and if I come again it want be here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear saltlady1,

Thank you for posting your feedback regarding your stay. I am saddened that we fell below your expectations and that your experience over the breakfast buffet was a let down. As for the incident regarding the ants, our management is also looking in to the situation in order to prevent this from happening again.

Please accept our apologies for not being able to deliver 100% satisfaction. We will certainly work on the points that you have raised to ensure we provide the best customer experience.

Tracy V.