“Horrible hotel, breakfast & DISGUSTING SERVICE”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #64 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
“Horrible hotel, breakfast & DISGUSTING SERVICE”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

First and foremost, I work in a hotel myself at guest services and know the protocols when a guest is unhappy. We arrived there as part of a family reunion. The first room I was placed in had a bed that seemed it would cave in if it was slept on for one more night, we switched and the next rooms phone didn't work ( which was NEVER fixed) we then proceeded with my father in law taking over the room and we checked out but informed the hotel we are still in the room. The housekeeper noticed I was in the room considering I was going in and out as she cleaned the room. We later discovered our bottle of wine was no longer in the fridge. We went down stairs to inform the staff and all they said was "we are sorry and have a nice day" (the staffs names that dealt with us the entire weekend were Chelsea (she was very rude to my family members), Gina and Jessica) as if we were just violated having something of ours stolen from their staff. Also, my parent in laws rooms air conditioner wasn't working then they were into a rooms that had a bathroom infested with ants. Let's not forget the disgusting food they thought was appropriate to serve in a dining room that had mouse traps set up. This hotel should not being running at this rate and Holiday Inn should not be affiliated with it because of it's horrible service and presentation of their brand. I have stayed at many hotels and even motels but this was by far the worst experience I have had with a hotel and with this specific brand.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Ambrewster84
Jessica E, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Ambrewster84,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am sorry if you felt violated by something of yours going missing during your stay, HOWEVER, I am glad that your property was returned to you before checking out and was simply misplaced due to some miscommunications during your room move.
I am sorry that we fell short in meeting your expectations in other areas of service during your stay. We do have some plans for changes in the future and hope to see you back to check it out and regain your loyalty to Holiday Inn.

Holiday Inn Patriot- Williamsburg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Pikesville, Maryland
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Just spent my family reunion at the hotel and it was really nice. Clean look like it had just been updated nice TV and clean bedding. Nice distance from all the local restaurants. Close to Bush Gardens and state Nd local parks. The front was very friendly. The pool was cute, the hot tub was not hot. Breakfast was also good so if u have that option I would take it.

If you like to shop it's very close to the shopping outlets

Dear Keishakirkland4u,

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We are so happy that you enjoyed the time spent here with your family as we enjoyed having you all stay with us. I will make sure someone looks at the hot tub as we were unaware of the improper temperature.

Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you again next year!

Holiday Inn Patriot- Williamsburg
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

It is a very nice hotel and it is the best in town and I suggest it for every one, it has a very nice bed rooms and a beautiful view and I am very sure you will like it. So dont think just go and see it :)

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Jessica E, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Mosab,

Thank you for you positive review of our hotel! We value your opinion and hope that you will be back to stay with us again in the very near future. Thank you for choosing our brand.

Holiday Inn Patriot-Williamsburg
North Carolina
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I were on a mini week long road trip vacation and we stayed here for only one evening. We had just stayed the previous night at the Holiday Inn in Cary, NC, and had a very short but very pleasurable stay. So my hope was that this Holiday Inn – Patriot Williamsburg would replicate our previous night’s experience. This hotel did fine, but my experience was not as great. In all fairness, the previous hotel was a hard act to follow. Here, we were welcomed by Gina at the front desk who also thanked me for being a Platinum IHG member. Gina was pleasant and courteous, but seemed reserved. I mentioned my previous nights free upgrade to a suite due to my IHG status, but was told no upgrades were available, as this hotel seemed literally empty. There were maybe a total of 7-8 cars in the entire parking lot and it was already after dinner time and getting dark. No upgrade is fine by me, but I had asked as I enjoyed having the mini fridge in the suite. The hotel only had this one side to park and limted parking in the front. The parking area was well lit and had a fence separating it from the economy hotel next door, which, by the way, was packed with cars and family mini vans. That night, as I prepared to go to bed, I looked out my window to check my car, and noticed my vehicle was one of only 4 or 5 cars in the entire parking lot.

This hotel “seemed” clean, but I did not get that spotless feeling. For example, the AC unit in the hallway at the side entrance had considerable dirt/dust grease balls built up on the top, and looked as if it had not been cleaned in a long while. That of course set my mind on what else is not cleaned? Our room did seem pretty clean as did the bathroom. That said, everything else about the room and facility was acceptable, albeit a bit worn. Thankfully I brought the extension cord I always pack, or we would have had a challenge charging our phones and laptop, as electrical outlets were scarce in the room. I did not use any other amenities available at this hotel.

The location of the hotel was perfect. Many great restaurants and shops nearby, and a large outlet mall right up the road a few miles. Any money I saved on the hotel was lost at the mall when my wife went shopping there. When we got up the next day after a quiet and restful sleep, we went to a local pancake house for breakfast. When we returned I saw only three cars in the entire parking lot. I was very surprised as I thought even the employees would have had needed more than 3 cars. We went back to the room and relaxed and then finishing packing and went to check out just 10 minutes before check out time of 11 AM. The front desk check out clerk was fast and polite but I felt almost like I was disturbing whatever she was doing. This was quite a different experience than the previous Holiday Inn where the reps were engaging, outgoing and bubbly with personality.

My perceptions may have been a part the reason for not having had a great stay. I guess the saying that first impressions can set the stage for ones entire stay is true. I have stayed in many hotels that were not as good. The room was clean, acceptable and quiet and the employees seemed friendly…. (I think). These are all things that are very important to me. But somehow I just did not get that “we are glad you are here” warm and fuzzy feeling, nor did I feel the “cleanliness is next to godliness” feeling. I think I would still stay here again should I need to, but I may also see what other options may be available in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jessica E, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Hello Bob,

I would first like to thank you for your thorough review of our hotel, we appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience, however, I do apologize for being unable to meet all of your expectations during your stay. All of our rooms come standard with a mini fridge and microwave so I hope the room was satisfying despite the availability for an upgrade. We take pride in the cleanliness of our hotel so I will make sure we address your concerns and remain alert to those trouble areas.

We appreciate your business and feedback; we hope that you will join us again in the future!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We are in Williamsburg for a 2 night stay...we checked out of this hotel after the first night.
Musty rooms, dirty floors, elevator what a sham and we thought we were going to get stuck. Paper thin walls, and loud air conditioner...beds very uncomfortable and forget actually laying under the sheets....ugh! ...Your door does not feel secure and people run amuck with no regard for other guest. We could not wait to check out! The positive: the people at the front desk were very nice... They should go work for another hotel.

Room Tip: There are none... and there is a train that runs right by the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Hope558,

Regards,

Karen C
Yale, Va
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I'll start off with the things I thought was good. The bed was pretty comfortable and the shower felt good. Now off to the not so good things....the wallpaper was really outdated. The mini refrigerator was very very mini which was sitting directly on the floor with the microwave on top of it! The air condition unit broke down but that was fixed. I can't say that I will not stay here again but if there's nothing else available I will.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Terry W,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the layout of the room prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I attend two conventions each year in Williamsburg. They are held at Holiday Inn Patriot. Each trip finds another malfunction in the hotel. In February the Back elevator was broken, my room was of course in the very back! The WiFi worked for seconds at a time. The staff is always apologetic ans says the problem is being looked into. Last August visit saw a almost functioning WiFi, which amounts to an uncorrected and well documented problem. The rooms are always clean and the beds semi comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor room. The third and fourth floor rooms have a constant irritating noise fro...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear Richard S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate issues with the WiFi prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J