“Nasty”

Ranked #51 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Charleston, West Virginia, United States
“Nasty”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I couldn't believe the state of this hotel when we pulled up. When I booked the hotel, I only wanted a place to stay around the halfway point of my trip. This hotel was horrible. Upon pulling into the parking lot, I could tell the hotel staff did not do much "up-keep" of the hotel. The place looked dirty on the outside. People were standing outside of their rooms talking/yelling and children were running around in the parking lot in bathing suits barefoot. I went in to get the room key even though I was reluctant because I saw on priceline it was a 3 star hotel. I PROMISE THIS IS NOT A 3 STAR HOTEL. This hotel was more like a 1 star hotel. As I walked to my room, I passed two other hotel rooms with their doors open. Both of these rooms had to have had more then 10 people staying in each room. I walked into my room and the first thing I noticed was a LARGE 6ft crack in the wall of the room. The black oily spots on the carpet then attracted my attention and was followed by the musty smell that was so horrible it could knock you down. My boyfriend then walked into the bathroom, after holding it for over 6 hours, and there wasn't enough space in the bathroom to use the toilet unless you squeezed past the door and shut it. Not that it would have made me stay but the complimentary shampoo/soap that most hotels usually give visitors were not there. I quickly exited the room without looking back. My daughter was walking the dog outside and after talking to her we found several ticks on my dog that were not there before. My dog had only been walking around the place for 10 minutes at the most. Needless to say, I did NOT stay the night at this hotel. We all got back into the car and traveled to Newport News, VA. to stay the night. This is the WORST hotel I have ever seen and I would NEVER go back or tell anyone to stay there. This hotel looked like it was going to be a good value; however, I just lost out on my 60 dollars because it was so awful! The hotel was dirty and was unsafe. I wouldn't have let my dog stay in the room.

Room Tip: There isn't a good room at this hotel. Though this hotel looks like a good value, I wouldn't...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

1 Thank LiLiTichenor
Bharat P, Manager at Super 8 Williamsburg/Historic Area, responded to this review, 18 May 2016
thank you come again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 29 May 2012

1st room they put us in had stains on the carpet, stains on the chairs, and mold in the bathroom. Floor so dirty my feet turned black. 2nd room, although bigger, not much better. STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Williamsburg hotels

Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed 4 May 2012

My ex and I stayed in this place after a hurricane decided to come visit.. surprisingly, we DID not lose power and it was entertaining to sit outside, watch the sparks from the windblown trees. The room was clean and comfortable, plus the management was pretty good too.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Super 8 Williamsburg/Historic Area, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Thanks for posting your comments! We hope to see you again when visiting the area without the hurricane
DC
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel with friends after a day at Busch Gardens. It is centrally located with restaurants nearby and Busch Gardens is about 4 miles away. Check in was easy and we got in our rooms. The rooms were clean, that's all that mattered. All we wanted was a clean, cheap, and easy place to stay for just a night. The rooms did have a mildew smell to it and the a/c thing was very noisy. The bathroom was clean, however the hot water went pretty quick in the shower. The beds were comfortable and the sheets and pillows were clean. Basically no major complaints with the rooms. The breakfast however was disappointing. All they had was toast, bananas, raisin bran, and drinks. The orange juice was gross and the toast didn't taste too great. It's a continental breakfast (not a full buffet), but there was no variety. I suggest getting to the breakfast early (if the hotel looks full) so you can get first dibs, because when we got down at about 9, there was nothing left.

Overall this place was great just for a night, and I recommend staying here for short stays only. Pleased with the rate as well, only $45 per night per room, and we got what we payed for.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank robertoluvsaz
Thanks for posting your comments! We have just added new items to our breakfast offerings. Hope to see you again on your next visit!
Catonsville
Reviewed 13 December 2011

When I booked this room for just over $30 I wondered what was wrong with it. We were pleasantly surprised to find very little wrong with it. Like most motels the carpet had some stains. The cold water in the sink ran constantly but I was able to turn off the valve underneath the sink. The breakfast had good variety and even included fresh fruit. I'm giving this five stars for value given the price.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
thanks come again soon
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We have stayed at this Super 8 several times, most recently for the "Grand Illumination" in the historic area. The cost for two nights was less than one night at many of the other hotels in the area. The room had a microwave and refrigerator and was very clean. We were on the first floor and we could hear the neighbors above us but other than that we had no complaints.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
thanks
Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Super 8 on 2nd Street in Williamsburg, VA was a disappointment. I truly think that some people have written reviews about a different Super 8 (there are several in Williamsburg) because there are few redeeming qualities about the one on 2nd Street. My husband and I stayed there for one night in October 2011. I would have checked out as soon as I got there, but it was already 11pm at night and we were exhausted from a day at Busch Gardens.

First the bad points:
1. I asked for a top floor king room, but ended up with a bottom floor king room. I didn't want stomping over my head, so I had to take a double bed room upstairs because the hotel did not honor my request. No biggie - but the double beds were really small.
2. The room smelled of mold and mildew.
3. There was mold around the small refrigerator's seal. Gross!!!
4. The drapes were not on their "track" - so they were impossible to close all the way.
5. Carpet was nasty! I refused to walk on it and wore shoes the entire time.
6. The bathroom could really use some updates - the tiles were gross.
7. The drain in the shower/tub was pulled up and laying on the floor of the tub.
8. The sink faucet was covered in some kind of white crud.
9. There was a lone tissue box in the corner of the room. I mean, how did it get there?
10. Lightbulbs were burned out in most of the lamps. I guess this could be a positive so you don't actually have to look at the poor condition of the room.
11. Pillows were flat.
12. Weak WiFi - basically non-existent.
13. Don't use the coffee maker - the inside was disgusting.
14. There was a dead insect floating in the toilet - I'm pretty sure it committed suicide.

Now for the positives:
1. Sheets were clean, but the top bedspread should be burned.
2. Bed was surprisingly comfy. I know - strange eh?
3. It was very quiet all night (until about 8am).
4. Check-in was very fast and the front desk lady was polite.
5. Close to Busch Gardens.
6. No bed bugs.
7. TV remote control actually worked (after Clorox wiping it)!!

So - there you go! If you stay here, just don't say you weren't given fair warning! We will not return.

Room Tip: I have no idea if this place even has a good room to be honest.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sunflower35
thank you come again soon.