“Getting old and needs work but still a good value”

Super 8 Williamsburg/Historic Area
Ranked #49 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
New Hampshire
“Getting old and needs work but still a good value”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I stayed here in September while visiting the Busch Gardens and the Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown historic area. This hotel is perfectly located with quick and easy access to highways to go to these areas as well as easy access to restaurants. You are never more than a couple miles away from the major tourist attractions in this area or a good place to grab a bite to eat. I have stayed here a few times in the past with the last stay being September 2007.

I have always been pleased with the facility. This most recent stay went ok but it has me a bit on the fence about returning again if I am 100% honest. The facility is getting old and it really needs a remodel/facelift. I had no problems while staying here but I just feel the whole building needs some work. I can't help wonder what it would be like if I returned in another 2-3+ years without some major work being done? They have installed some new key card based locks on the doors, the AC/Heat units appear to be new(er) ones with digital controls that worked very well, it looks like they tried to paint the rooms( kind of sloppy ), and the carpet in our room looked like maybe it had been replaced in the not too distant past as well so I credit them for that. The place is just getting tired overall though.

Now with that said I feel I owe the staff some kudos. The staff went out of their way to accommodate my special requests and needs associated with my 88 year old Dad accompanying me on the trip. They also worked with me without any hassle when I changed the reservation dates no less than 3X's between the date I 1st made them in May and 2 weeks before we left to go down in late August. I had some personal issues that caused me to change dates and then concerns with the weather for our Busch Gardens visit caused another change. It was never a problem changing the dates nor was it a problem when I added a day on short notice. They were great about helping us with that.

One of the staff members( Bahrat - sp? )is a bit abrupt in how he deals with people but I don't think it is intentional. It didn't bother me as I have dealt with him before but I can see where some folks would take it badly. He was very nice to me though and he did what he could to make my stay go well. The other gentleman and woman who worked the night shift were very pleasant to us.

The rooms, despite being a bit run down, were very clean and smelled nice too. I read reviews of recent stays where people said the rooms were dirty and that they smelled bad( some said like a cat box? ). I can't say I experienced this at all. If you read my other reviews you will see I seldom stay at the high end hotels. I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars just to sleep and shower. However, the ONE thing I demand is a clean room. I will not stay if the room is dirty. Not even if it were free. I think some folks are equating the building getting old and needing some work with being "dirty" and that is not the same thing. The room was very clean and smelled nice just as it has been on my other stays here.

Overall the stay was fine. At $45( Thurs ) and $49( Fri/Sat )a night the value was there. Every other place wanted at least $70-$100 for the same nights. I would have to consider spending the extra money and stay elsewhere if this hotel is let go any further but right now it is still a good place to stay if you want to save your money for the trip and not spend it on a place to sleep and shower. It is clean and it isn't a dump. Just getting old as I said and with it's ideal location for tourists it is still a good choice to stay at.

I didn't partake of the free breakfast nor did I use the pool so I can't comment on those.

The last thing I wish to comment on is an oddity that I haven't experienced at a hotel before. I don't even remember it happening here before? I had to pay for my room BEFORE checking in? That seems strange to me and frankly turned me off a bit. I have always paid at check out not check in. It was really strange.

I would have given the stay an Excellent if not for the building's condition and having to prepay for the room. Those 2 things forced me to drop it down to Very Good. I do recommend this hotel still at this point.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Bharat P, Manager at Super 8 Williamsburg/Historic Area, responded to this review, 17 May 2016
thanks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
Howard
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Was an inexpensive place to stay while we toured the sites of Colonial Williamsburg. The room as well as the bathroom were clean. Nice pool & it was well maintained. The staff were "OK" as well. Breakfast bar was kept stocked, although the variety got a little boring as it was the same for all four days we were there. A couple of times we arrived back late in the afternoon & our room still had not been cleaned yet. Kinda inconvenient to have to go back out & find something to do while they finished. Nice that it had a laundry facility. Wifi was TERRIBLE, as a matter of fact nonexistent the whole first night of our stay. TV reception was "poor" at best. You had to get password for Wifi at check in desk. Property as a whole was kept neat & clean. Quiet for sleeping. Close to many nice restaurants and tourist sites. Good for what it was, a clean,quiet place to sleep, close to amenities.

Room Tip: We were in the back of the facility & faced the pool. Wished we would have been placed on a lowe...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 10 September 2013

When we checked in the front desk lady was super rude...Then went to our room on 1st floor and when we opened the door smoke smell hit us in the face...this was supposed to be a non smoking room. The lock latch above handle was broke, bed was super squeaky. On a positive note, The bath tub was clean...Its ok for 1 night definately not a vacation stay hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
thank you for letting us no we have made changes so we hope you come back again soon. Again thank you
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend trip to Colonial Williamsburg. First time staying here and might be my last. This hotel is OKAY at best. You get what you pay for. Rooms are small and outdated. Although the bathrooms seemed to updated. Rooms and bathroom were very clean. People at the front desk were unprofessional. Breakfast was just decent. The hotel has free wifi but the password for it is no where to be found in the room. Not the best hotel I have stayed at and for sure not the worst hotel I have stayed at.

• Stayed August 2013