“Not the best choice”

DoubleTree by Hilton Williamsburg
Ranked #20 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 20 July 2013

This hotel seemed to be pretty old. The walls were very thin. You can easily hear the person in the room next door. I heard the person next door snoring. The hallways were not air conditioned and were very humid/uncomfortable. The hallway carpeting seemed very worn. On the positive side, the room seemed clean and had been updated with more modern furnishings. However, I would not stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Alan B
Tom C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Williamsburg, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Dear Mr. Alan B.

I want to Thank You for choosing to stay with The DoubleTree Williamsburg on your recent trip to Williamsburg. I am disappointed to hear you did not have a pleasant experience at our hotel and would like to apologize for any issues encountered. I would like for an opportunity to discuss your visit further as there is nothing more important to us than our guest’s satisfaction. Please feel free to contact me at 757.220.2500

Tom Custo

Write a ReviewReviews (1,568)

Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in July 2013 and found both the hotel and staff to be excellent. Rooms are clean, beds are super comfortable, and staff was friendly and helpful. The location is minutes from both parks. Starbucks, McDonalds, and Wendy's nearby. Will stay here again next year.

Room Tip: We opted for the two queen bed with sofa room for a little extra room to spread out.
Reviewed 17 July 2013

It was a nice stay. The hotel is decorated in 80s style in the lobby. The room were nice a little more modern. Ran into a little trouble with the water going from gold to hot. The front desk staff was very nice and accommodating.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

My friends and I were here for a weekend because the hotel was near Busch Gardens. It was extremely close by and I definitely worth staying here. The hotel was a little hard to locate because there were not clear signs of where the front entrance was. We came in at 2am and it took us a while as we drove around the property finding the entrance. The staffs were very nice and gave us endless amount of chocolate chip cookies during our stay.

Rooms- It was very clean and the rooms were spacious as well (we had two queen beds). The only negative was that our room was located at the back of the hotel. We had to walk through 5 long hallways and two ramps each time we walked in and out of the hotel.

Restaurant options- Most of the restaurants were 15-20mins away from the hotel, it wasn't too bad at all.

Room Tip: I would request any rooms that are close to the elevators
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The hotel is still going through some renovation, but I believe it is confined to one area and it did not disturb us whatsoever. Our room was clean and nicely updated. Great bed linens and pillows. We chose the hotel for its proximity to Busch Gardens and we were not disappointed. It was a $6 cab ride to the park.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Love this layout of this hotel and the balconies off of the rooms. The hotel was under renovations and the HVAC was not very efficient. Some of the meeting rooms smelled of mold and mildew. Location is great, but be aware that you WILL hear fireworks from Busch Gardens each evening.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I was very disappointed and insulted by the treatment I received from Alana at the Double Tree by Hilton Williamsburg. My family and I had reservations for two nights booked through hotels.com, but due to a family emergency we missed the first night of the reservation. I am not inexperienced; I understand that booking through one of these sites is often nonrefundable, so that was not the issue. When we arrived for the second night’s stay Alana said that the hotel had canceled my reservation because I was a no show, but I was charged for the first night anyway because I was a no show. I told her that the charge was nonrefundable and since I was charged for both nights already, I was now here to use the second night, to which she replied that the hotel had the right to cancel me because I was a no show and it was booked through a third party so although I already paid hotels.com I had not booked directly and I was a NO SHOW! Since I could see this was going nowhere and my family was in the car I asked if there were any rooms available to which Alana replied she would see if she could accommodate me, implying that she was doing me a favor. She did come up with a room which I could book for $179 using my AAA and AFT discounts. Having already paid $129 per night nonrefundable for two nights and now being charged an additional $179, I asked for a manager and was told she was the floor supervisor.
I then asked what I should have done to continue to reserve the room I had already paid for when I could not come on the first night and was told I should have contacted the hotel. I showed Alana the phone number on my “reservation” receipt and told her I had tried repeatedly to call earlier in the week to see if they had discount tickets to local attractions and no one answered. At this point I handed over my credit card to be charged yet again and Alana said she would talk to someone else and see what she could do for me. She went in a back room and I stood at the desk for another five minutes. I used this time to call the hotel phone number and although there were two other people behind the counter no one answered. When Alana came out she said that they would re-open the hotels.com reservation and I would not be charged again. I showed Alana that I was currently calling the hotel and no one was answering. She smiled in my face and picked up the phone answering with the hotel greeting. And at that choice moment she asked if I would like a cookie.
Were my experiences calling and receiving no answer unique? Apparently not. Later in the evening at around 9:30, I was at the bar in the hotel restaurant and a waiter answered the phone. He told the caller that he could not answer his question and he needed to call the hotel front desk. The caller must have said no one was answering because the waiter replied, “This happens all the time. You call them again and I’ll walk over and tell them to answer the phone.” !?! I couldn’t believe what I was hearing and I watched as he walked over to the front desk.
To sum it up, I spent 25 minutes groveling at the check-in desk to acquire a room I had already paid for. I have been traveling for 30 years and I must say this is the worst service and treatment I have ever received. If asked about hospitality and guest services at Double Tree Hilton Williamsburg, I would smirk and say they need more training and then give them all some cookies!

8  Thank GraceM8595