We selected this hotel due to having 3 kids and 2 adults, as it is tough to find comfortable accommodations most places with 5 people. We booked through Marriott.com with no issues and I selected that we had 5 guests. I was hoping this might get passed along to the hotel but it seems maybe they overlooked it. (see below)
We arrived around 1 pm, knowing that this was early, i was hoping for an early check-in. I was told they didn't have anything available yet but the clerk took my name and a preference on near or far from the pool, and said she would have me down as 'arrived' but to come back after 4. I thought check-in was at 3 but apparently it was 4.
We went to Jamestown Settlement (about 10-15 minutes nearby) and came back at 4:30. The same clerk was there and said she still didn't have any rooms available. She got on her walkie-talkie and called someone, and sounded a bit unprofessional as she had a conversation with the other person about how there were people in the lobby trying to check in but she didn't see any suites available. I looked at her as if to say, 'I waited until you told me to come back and you still don't have anything???' She said we could proceed to our room and that they were currently out of towels but someone would bring them as soon as they were available.
We finally got settled in room 404. We had two queens in a bedroom and a sofa-bed in the living room.
We walked to nearby Applebee's and came back after 6:30, still no towels. I called downstairs to request them and they said they would bring them right up. 7:30, still no towels. I called again.
I tried to make the sofa-bed but there were no sheets. I called the front desk and they said there were sheets in the closet. I told them I already looked there and there was just a blanket. They told me there are supposed to be sheets in there too. I said, 'hence my call to you to bring me some.' They brought some at around 8:00, however, still no towels. It appeared to be the manager who brought me the sheets and I reiterated to him that I had called over an hour ago for towels, yet to receive though. He apologized and said he would be right back. He came back shortly and apologized again.
The next day, we went to Busch Gardens, about 15 minutes away. We came back and only had 3 towels. I called for more and about 20 minutes later had some. Rinse and repeat. We stayed a total of 4 nights and I had to call each afternoon to request more towels, as they only stocked 3 for a known-occupancy of 5.
The room was always clean. There were dishes, however, a very limited supply. 4 cups, 4 bowels, 4 plates. We had a microwave and had brought our own popcorn, but had nothing to put it in. We used the mixing bowls.
I used the coffeemaker the first night of our 4 night stay but the cream and sugar were never restocked.
The wi-fi was temper-mental. It connected but then seemed to either drop or i needed to delete the wi-fi profile and start from scratch. It was speedy when connected tho, as my wife streamed Netflix to a Kindle with no issues.
The pool was great. Kids used it all 4 days. The towel situation was a little confusing the first day, as there were none outside and no place to put wet towels. The entrance/exit area to the hotel from the pool was always wet and my 6 year old slipped on the drenched floor (she wasn't hurt). Maybe an anti-slip mat would help.
The breakfast quality was so-so. The eggs were water based poor-and-mix (dreadful), there was only 1 waffle maker, and about a 10 minute wait the 2 mornings we ate there. Hint to management: I have seen many smaller hotels with 2 waffle makers to accommodate a lot of guests. There was not a lot of room for food service at the times we tried to get breakfast. We ended up stopping at McDonald's (a block away) for breakfast supplemental. I would give the breakfast a 2 out of 5.
Overall, I might stay somewhere else next time, provided i can find a suite or somewhere that holds 5 people comfortably. I use the Residence Inn brand several times a year for personal trips and travel several times a year for business.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Inn Williamsburg is the premier long-term, pet-friendly hotel in Williamsburg. Located in the heart of Williamsburg on acres of green space, we are adjacent to a local recreation center, park and community walking trail allowing our guest to enjoy the normal pace of life while on business or pleasure. Also within walking distance are numerous restaurants, shopping and local attractions. Our breakfast buffet is offered 7 days a week and includes all the favorites from home made waffles to eggs and bacon. We also have a wonderful social hour Tuesday through Thursday that offers the guest a light dinner or dessert to finish off their day. Our modern accommodations include in-room stainless steel appliances (refrigerators, microwaves, cook tops, ovens and dishwashers), granite countertops in kitchen and bath updated living room furniture, large work station and new bedding. The Residence Inn Williamsburg provides all the comforts of home with the luxury of up-scale accommodations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Residence Inn Williamsburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Williamsburg Hotel Williamsburg
- Williamsburg Residence Inn