“June/July 2014 vacation”

Residence Inn Williamsburg
Ranked #41 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We selected this hotel due to having 3 kids and 2 adults, as it is tough to find comfortable accommodations most places with 5 people. We booked through Marriott.com with no issues and I selected that we had 5 guests. I was hoping this might get passed along to the hotel but it seems maybe they overlooked it. (see below)

We arrived around 1 pm, knowing that this was early, i was hoping for an early check-in. I was told they didn't have anything available yet but the clerk took my name and a preference on near or far from the pool, and said she would have me down as 'arrived' but to come back after 4. I thought check-in was at 3 but apparently it was 4.

We went to Jamestown Settlement (about 10-15 minutes nearby) and came back at 4:30. The same clerk was there and said she still didn't have any rooms available. She got on her walkie-talkie and called someone, and sounded a bit unprofessional as she had a conversation with the other person about how there were people in the lobby trying to check in but she didn't see any suites available. I looked at her as if to say, 'I waited until you told me to come back and you still don't have anything???' She said we could proceed to our room and that they were currently out of towels but someone would bring them as soon as they were available.

We finally got settled in room 404. We had two queens in a bedroom and a sofa-bed in the living room.

We walked to nearby Applebee's and came back after 6:30, still no towels. I called downstairs to request them and they said they would bring them right up. 7:30, still no towels. I called again.

I tried to make the sofa-bed but there were no sheets. I called the front desk and they said there were sheets in the closet. I told them I already looked there and there was just a blanket. They told me there are supposed to be sheets in there too. I said, 'hence my call to you to bring me some.' They brought some at around 8:00, however, still no towels. It appeared to be the manager who brought me the sheets and I reiterated to him that I had called over an hour ago for towels, yet to receive though. He apologized and said he would be right back. He came back shortly and apologized again.

The next day, we went to Busch Gardens, about 15 minutes away. We came back and only had 3 towels. I called for more and about 20 minutes later had some. Rinse and repeat. We stayed a total of 4 nights and I had to call each afternoon to request more towels, as they only stocked 3 for a known-occupancy of 5.

The room was always clean. There were dishes, however, a very limited supply. 4 cups, 4 bowels, 4 plates. We had a microwave and had brought our own popcorn, but had nothing to put it in. We used the mixing bowls.

I used the coffeemaker the first night of our 4 night stay but the cream and sugar were never restocked.

The wi-fi was temper-mental. It connected but then seemed to either drop or i needed to delete the wi-fi profile and start from scratch. It was speedy when connected tho, as my wife streamed Netflix to a Kindle with no issues.

The pool was great. Kids used it all 4 days. The towel situation was a little confusing the first day, as there were none outside and no place to put wet towels. The entrance/exit area to the hotel from the pool was always wet and my 6 year old slipped on the drenched floor (she wasn't hurt). Maybe an anti-slip mat would help.

The breakfast quality was so-so. The eggs were water based poor-and-mix (dreadful), there was only 1 waffle maker, and about a 10 minute wait the 2 mornings we ate there. Hint to management: I have seen many smaller hotels with 2 waffle makers to accommodate a lot of guests. There was not a lot of room for food service at the times we tried to get breakfast. We ended up stopping at McDonald's (a block away) for breakfast supplemental. I would give the breakfast a 2 out of 5.

Overall, I might stay somewhere else next time, provided i can find a suite or somewhere that holds 5 people comfortably. I use the Residence Inn brand several times a year for personal trips and travel several times a year for business.

Room Tip: Pool stays loud during summer.
1  Thank Brian S

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Extremely disappointed with the experience I had with the Marriott Residence Inn! As a hotel, the staff should be aware of what is going on from morning shift to night shift. With this said:

On June 17th I made a reservation for a two bedroom suite, for 6 guests, at the Marriott Residence Inn located in Williamsburg, VA. On June 25th I was charged for the room and called the Residence Inn asking about early check in for the 28th. I was told to call back the night before and ask then.

On June 27th, the night before, I called and was told that there was no way to be able to tell if I could check in early because the entire hotel was full that night, and to call back in the morning.

June 28th, the day of, the six of us left MD/DC around 7 AM to head to Williamsburg for a Birthday outing at Busch Gardens. Around 11:00 (an hour before arriving) I called the hotel to ask again about early check in. Once again, I received the same answer; "That there was no way to tell. They hadn't heard of any rooms turning over, and that the maids don't come in until 9, so it might be awhile." An hour later I arrived at the Residence Inn. I went in to ask one more time about early check in, and received the same answer. I told them I had a reservation but that we were going to be at the park the entire day so we wouldn't be there until late. The woman told me that she would "block us in" so that it wouldn't be an issue later. After asking what that meant, she said it would show that we have come and to keep the room on hold for us. Thinking there would be no problem, we left our bags in one of our cars, and left for the park the entire day.

By 11 PM we arrived back at the hotel. When I presented my reservation again, I explained that we came in earlier today and the woman said she blocked us in. The woman working the front desk that night looked into the computer and confirmed we no longer had a room. We were told that there was one room unavailable, because of AC issues, and that it doesn't show our reservation as being blocked in. She explained because of this, our room was given away because we were not there. After spending an entire day in a park and being exhausted, this is the LAST thing the six of us wanted to deal with. The woman called the manager on duty to come over so they both could try to find hotels with available rooms for us. Every hotel in Williamsburg & Newport News were full, due to a jazz festival, a lacrosse tournament, and regular vacations. Finally, around 1:30 AM they found rooms located in Richmond Virginia, an hour away, for us to stay in.

I have never been so totally disappointed in the hotel staff's ability to handle our reservation appropriately. Especially after making so much effort to check in early. This was definitely a very frustrating ending to what had been a pleasurable day. This led to a one hour drive at 1:30 AM to Richmond, causing unnecessary tension within our very tired group. This hotel extremely let us down!

I would not recommend going to this hotel, unless you want your room to be given away.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank FrolickingThruLife
HHMLP-Mgt W, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Williamsburg, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear a_decapua,
I'd like to publicly apologize for your experience last weekend and thank you for our dialoge back and forth. If I can be of any further serive, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I live in the Baltimore/DC area and go to Williamsburg, VA about 2-3 times per year. I have dogs so I need to find a dog friendly hotel. I used to stay at Patrick Henry Inn (when it was Best Western), and that went down hill. Then I stayed at La Quinta and that has gone down hill too. I am glad I finally found a hotel that is nice, in a perfect location and takes dogs. The only thing I have to say is if you don't like dogs, don't stay there. I had some lady give me horrible looks for my dogs (Yorkies and Maltese). Seriously, I do my research to find a dog friendly hotel, if you don't like them then do your research and don't stay at one that takes them! Here are the Pros and Cons:

Pros:
-location: within walking distance to Chillis and Applebees and other restaurants. Very close to outlet malls and short drive to Colonial Williamsburg.
-dog friendly: they take dogs and even allowed me to bring my 3 small dogs.
-price: its not cheap nor super expensive
-free breakfast: breakfast was pretty good. They had cereal, bagels, english muffins, blueberry muffins, waffles, pancakes, coffee, juice, yogurt, oatmeal. Area to eat is nice.
-spacious rooms: rooms are large and have great amenities. Great if you have kids and for our dogs so we can prepare their food.
-staff: the staff is super friendly and very welcoming. The guy at the front desk always called me by my name when he saw me.

Cons:
-fee for dogs: they charge a non-refundable $75 dog fee
-furniture-the furniture was kind of older and beat up. The room was not dirty but could've been cleaned better. I doubt that $75 fee for dogs actually goes to cleaning the room.
-price: not cheap but could've been more expensive.
-not Marriott standards-I am a Silver Marriott Rewards member and this is not exactly up to Marriott standards.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Beth H
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed Sunday - Friday in June for a trip to Colonial Williamburg, Jamestown, and Busch Gardens. We had a great rate, loved the free breakfast and evening food as well. It was a great deal for a family trip. The room was clean and we had great service. Everyday our room was clean and tidy. The kitchen was a great addition so we could keep picnic foods and snacks in the fridge. We also liked our one bedroom because it had a separate sitting area and door that separated the bedroom - we could stay up and watch tv, etc. while our kids got to sleep. The kids loved the pool - it's not big but they had fun. The breakfast was good but very busy in the mornings. They had eggs, potatoes, meat, yogurt, fruits, cereals, oatmeal, waffles, breads and juices. In the evening during the week there was also food enough for dinner! Nacho night, BBQ night, etc. It's super close to everything and the restaurant Food for Thought across the street was delicious. We even walked to the General Store for ice cream one night and enjoyed the fife and drum!

Room Tip: We had a first floor room facing the back lot - very quiet.
1  Thank betsyh2os
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed at this property for three nights in late June. I loved the room that we had -- it was very spacious, comfortable, nicely furnished, and had everything we needed. They served a hot breakfast in the morning. The staff was very helpful and friendly, including Kim at the front desk and the lady who was working at breakfast whose name I did not get. There were restaurants very close by, and the hotel was convenient to shopping areas. I had not been to Williamsburg much in recent years, and enjoyed the stay very much.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have stayed at numerous Marriott hotels over the course of 25 years, for both business and personal travel. I have to say that this was probably the worst Marriott property I've ever stayed at. The carpeting in one of the elevators and on the stairs we used was stained badly and full of crumbs, leaves, etc; When we came down to breakfast in the morning (8:45 a.m.), the main hallway had a couple of french fries and other dirt left there from the night before; The staff tending to the breakfast buffet did not follow safe food practices - a young lady was wiping around the container of grated cheese with a wet rag, without removing the container first and the cheese she was wiping up was falling back into the container; The television in the bedroom did not work in our suite - it wouldn't turn on at all - either with the remote or manually; The room was shabby - the thermostat had been replaced with one of a different size/shape and wall behind it was not repaired so the dry wall was exposed - the seam separating the carpeting in the closet from the bedroom was ripped, exposing the concrete floor beneath - the tub had a dark ring around it; and finally, 2 dirty/stained bath towels hanging in the bathroom at check-in. I had requested extra towels and pillows ahead of time (via the Marriott reservation site) and they weren't supplied. I am writing to Marriott about it, too.

2  Thank cwisdo
HHMLP-Mgt W, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Williamsburg, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear cwisdp,
Please let me sincerely apologize that you experienced issues during your recent stay with us. As upi mentioned, concerns of that nature are not standard for Marriott Hotels. We would like an opportunity to speak with you further, should you permit.

Kandi

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with our six children. The staff was really awesome- very accomadating to our needs. The hotel itself needs a bit of attention- out shower was broke, keys/lock didn't work, iron broke, hot tub was broke the entire stay.. All which staff quickly attended to other than the hot tub. Breakfast was very good, and they offered a light dinner Tue-Thur- it was an excellent value. The location is superb with lots of restaurant and shopping locations close and convenient. We did not experience any noise issues and thought it was an excellent value for a family of 8.

• Stayed: June 2014