“Nice Hotel in Williamsburg”

Residence Inn Williamsburg
Ranked #41 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We chose this hotel for our stop on the way to the Outer Banks because it was pet friendly. It was tucked off the main street. Convenient to everything, Colonial Williamsburg ( a very short drive) and lots of restaurants. It was clean and updated. My only complaint is the people using the pool area used the deck as their garbage cans. This is not the hotels fault...wishing people would be more respectful. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. From check in to restaurant advice. A+ staff. Breakfast included a wide variety of choices. Belgium waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, cereal, toast, bagels, pastries, juices, French toast one morning and sausage gravy and biscuits the next. All good.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed at this property while visiting Colonial Williamsburg and Water Country USA. We were surprised to be put on the 1st floor, as with my husband's status with Marriott we are typically on a higher floor. The room was spacious enough, but upon entering it was obvious someone had been smoking in the room previously. Doesn't matter what the "policy" is, we are 4 non-smokers and there was no doubt someone had been smoking. Additionally, the room never dried out. It was cool enough, but the humidity level was terrible, making the sheets on the bed feel damp all the time. This is also not the first time we've gone to a Residence Inn as a party of 4 only to find 3 bath towels and have to request more. It's beyond me why the room is set up, bed-wise, for 4 (at least, 5 if you count the sofa bed) yet they only stock 3 towels.
I was concerned about noise because usually guests with dogs fill the first floor. I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet they were. Wish I could say the same for some of the children who were allowed to run up and down the hallways late at night and early in the morning. Apparently pet owners are more conscientious about noise than some parents.
Last complaint was the temperature in the breakfast room. One morning the thermostat read 85 degrees! With waffle irons going and packed full of people it made for a very unpleasant experience. I would not return to this particular Residence Inn.

1  Thank smithjnf_5
HHMLP-Mgt W, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Williamsburg, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear smithjnf_5,
Thank you for taking a moment to let us know your concerns with your recent stay. This was not our usual standard and I'd like to apologize. Please feel free to contact us to discuss further.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was clean, halls smelled good (nothing smelled musty) and the breakfast bar covered a large variety for any persons taste - ranging from bagels and cereal to eggs, hash browns, sausage and bacon. This hotel is close to everything and has plenty of parking. Will stay again.

1  Thank Beverly R
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We had a 1BR suite which delivered as expected. IT was quite roomy and had all that our party of 3 needed. The first room we were assigned had a faulty air conditioning system and our room never went below 79. This was quickly discovered after checking in and fortunately, they were able to get us moved. The breakfast was nice each morning and they even serve dinner on Tues, Wed, Thurs each week. We did pass on the dinner though as it did not look very appetizing and the lobby area.. We did not have a pet with us. We were placed on the 4th floor and were never disturbed by any noises or barking. It is very centrally located and many shopping, food options nearby. Only thing that can and should be improved are: The hallways and elevators are very warm and don't seem to be adequately air conditioned.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank KIKISM53
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We first checked in to Marriott's vacation cub at Ford's Colony where the room was tiny, overpriced and our teenage boys had to sleep on a pull out sofa. Maybe it's an okay place if you have a time share but platinum elite members are treated with disdain so it was a huge relief to move over to the Residence Inn where the front desk staff was welcoming and had the can-do attitude we are used to. The rooms are large, clean and comfortable. The furniture (cupboards, desks) is old but functional. The facilities are typical of a Residence Inn so you get what you expect and the price is reasonable for families.

1  Thank AdventurersX04
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I made my reservation on May 4, 2014, for a two night stay for July 4th to July 6th. On July 4th at about 8pm I called the hotel to let them know I will be checking in late. The person who answered said to me the hotel overbooked and they no longer have a room for us!!!! and they would try to accommodate me in another Marriott hotel. He said I would have to go to the Residence Inn first so they can tell me what hotel I could go to??? I immediately told him I would not be going to the Residence Inn first, I needed to know now what hotel would have a room equivalent to the Residence Inn, consisting of two queen beds, living room and full kitchen. He then apologized and said they would not be able to accommodate such room since the Fairfield or the Springhill didn't have such room, but if I agreed to go to another hotel I would not have to pay.

I showed up at the Fairfield, I was offered one room with one King size bed for one night. I was furious by this time, the room would not accommodate my family and I initially had reserved 2 nights!! I immediately contacted the Residence Inn again, I was transferred to the cell phone of the general manager Anthony Hunt whom I had a long conversation with. I tried to explain to him that the room would not be large enough to accommodate 2 adults and 2 children. He was rude and said he could move me to the Springhill but he would only pay for one night, and if I wanted a second free night I would have to move to the Residence Inn for a second night stay. I told him I have already been inconvenienced when they overbooked and disregarded my reservation, I was not willing to move to another hotel. It really seemed that he didn't care to provide the best service and I honestly don't feel he truly represents the Marriott. I argued on the phone with him, he continuously interrupted while I tried to explain to him that our family had things to do and it would be too much of an inconvenience to move for a second time after a one night stay at the Springhill. He said to me his hotel is the Residence Inn, not the Springhill therefore he was only willing to pay the one night at the Springhill and I would have to pay the second night if I moved in the Residence Inn. I then asked for the name of his manager, he refused to give me the name, he proceeded to give me 800-marriott phone number said I can call them to see if they can help me. I told him I am not asking for the customer service line, I wanted his managers name. He said his manager is Mr. Marriott, I knew then he was lying to me and really didn't care for the situation he has put us through.

Finally, I passed the phone to my husband, so he can further speak to Anthony Hunt. By this time, I had been on the phone with him for at least an hour. He was refusing to provide his direct managers information. After my husband spoke to Anthony Hunt, Mr. Hunt finally agreed to have us stay at the Springhill for the two nights.

Just when I thought the nightmare was over, we reloaded our luggage from the Fairfield to go for our two night stay at the Springhill. As I was checking in, the receptionist stated to me she just got off the phone with her General Manager Anthony Hunt and she has been instructed by him to provide us with a room for two nights......Now, Mr. Anthony Hunt had previously said to me he had no control over the Fairfield and the Springhill because they were not his hotels....well he lied because he is the general manager for both the Springhill and the Residence Inn, both are about 1000 feet from each other.

After this terrible experience I am completely disappointed with the Marriott and the general manager Anthony Hunt. A wonderful well planned weekend became a true nightmare. I will further refrain from staying at a Marriott though I was been a devoted rewards member for years. I will never want to experience this again, I had planned on spending a nice time with my family in a spacious room. The food I had brought with me went bad, we didn't have an outdoor pool as planned and the room we were accommodated with was much smaller. The treatment I received by the general manger was rude and unacceptable. No customer should be treated that way, and all reservations should be honored. If a reservation can't be honored then what's the point of make a reservation????

5  Thank Pasiando
HHMLP-Mgt W, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Williamsburg, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Pasiando,
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you encountered last weekend and know that we take this very seriously. Again, my sincerest apologies.

Kandi, Area Director

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We selected this hotel due to having 3 kids and 2 adults, as it is tough to find comfortable accommodations most places with 5 people. We booked through Marriott.com with no issues and I selected that we had 5 guests. I was hoping this might get passed along to the hotel but it seems maybe they overlooked it. (see below)

We arrived around 1 pm, knowing that this was early, i was hoping for an early check-in. I was told they didn't have anything available yet but the clerk took my name and a preference on near or far from the pool, and said she would have me down as 'arrived' but to come back after 4. I thought check-in was at 3 but apparently it was 4.

We went to Jamestown Settlement (about 10-15 minutes nearby) and came back at 4:30. The same clerk was there and said she still didn't have any rooms available. She got on her walkie-talkie and called someone, and sounded a bit unprofessional as she had a conversation with the other person about how there were people in the lobby trying to check in but she didn't see any suites available. I looked at her as if to say, 'I waited until you told me to come back and you still don't have anything???' She said we could proceed to our room and that they were currently out of towels but someone would bring them as soon as they were available.

We finally got settled in room 404. We had two queens in a bedroom and a sofa-bed in the living room.

We walked to nearby Applebee's and came back after 6:30, still no towels. I called downstairs to request them and they said they would bring them right up. 7:30, still no towels. I called again.

I tried to make the sofa-bed but there were no sheets. I called the front desk and they said there were sheets in the closet. I told them I already looked there and there was just a blanket. They told me there are supposed to be sheets in there too. I said, 'hence my call to you to bring me some.' They brought some at around 8:00, however, still no towels. It appeared to be the manager who brought me the sheets and I reiterated to him that I had called over an hour ago for towels, yet to receive though. He apologized and said he would be right back. He came back shortly and apologized again.

The next day, we went to Busch Gardens, about 15 minutes away. We came back and only had 3 towels. I called for more and about 20 minutes later had some. Rinse and repeat. We stayed a total of 4 nights and I had to call each afternoon to request more towels, as they only stocked 3 for a known-occupancy of 5.

The room was always clean. There were dishes, however, a very limited supply. 4 cups, 4 bowels, 4 plates. We had a microwave and had brought our own popcorn, but had nothing to put it in. We used the mixing bowls.

I used the coffeemaker the first night of our 4 night stay but the cream and sugar were never restocked.

The wi-fi was temper-mental. It connected but then seemed to either drop or i needed to delete the wi-fi profile and start from scratch. It was speedy when connected tho, as my wife streamed Netflix to a Kindle with no issues.

The pool was great. Kids used it all 4 days. The towel situation was a little confusing the first day, as there were none outside and no place to put wet towels. The entrance/exit area to the hotel from the pool was always wet and my 6 year old slipped on the drenched floor (she wasn't hurt). Maybe an anti-slip mat would help.

The breakfast quality was so-so. The eggs were water based poor-and-mix (dreadful), there was only 1 waffle maker, and about a 10 minute wait the 2 mornings we ate there. Hint to management: I have seen many smaller hotels with 2 waffle makers to accommodate a lot of guests. There was not a lot of room for food service at the times we tried to get breakfast. We ended up stopping at McDonald's (a block away) for breakfast supplemental. I would give the breakfast a 2 out of 5.

Overall, I might stay somewhere else next time, provided i can find a suite or somewhere that holds 5 people comfortably. I use the Residence Inn brand several times a year for personal trips and travel several times a year for business.

Room Tip: Pool stays loud during summer.