“A GREAT experience at Patriots Place”

Wyndham Patriots Place
Ranked #37 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We just returned from a week in Williamsburg. We checked in on Sunday afternoon, staff was courteous and accommodated our request for a 2nd floor unit. We had to go to the sales desk to get our "parking pass" (code for time-share sales) but there was absolutely no pressure to take tours or buy anything. We were given the parking pass and many useful area coupons. The property is lush and well-maintained. We did notice the construction in the very back of the property, but only from afar as we drove to our unit. It was not a factor AT ALL. We were in building 27 with a double lock-off unit. The rooms were CLEAN. Very very very clean. No stray gross hairs, no mold, no dirt anywhere. I wiped the entire place down with Clorox wipes before I let my family touch anything (door knobs, remotes, handles, toilets, counters, light switches.. everything). For the first time at any hotel I've stayed at, I thought doing my usual pre-cleaning was unnecessary. It was really that clean. The kitchen was super well-equipped. Toaster, blender, coffee maker (cone filters supplied), dishwasher (with soap), sponge and dish soap. Every kind of kitchen utensil one might need along with kitchenware (bowls, colander, pans, pots, cutting boards, knife block), coffee mugs, wine glasses, a water pitcher with lemonade mix. I didn't need to bring half the stuff I brought from home. I put all the silverware and glassware we would use immediately in the dishwasher and ran it several times during our stay.
The bathrooms were also well-equipped, lighted makeup mirror, several towels, soaps and detergent for the washer/dryer combo. The large tub in the adjacent bath area is not a jet tub, but a large soaking tub. It was awesome when used as a large, roomy shower. Our wifi worked perfectly the entire time, on all our devices at once. We never heard a sound from neighbors except other people out on the balcony when WE were out on the balcony - OUTSIDE. The beds were clean and comfortable. The pool closes at 10pm, kind of early if you're at Busch Gardens till it closes - no late night pool time. The location is excellent. Nothing in Williamsburg is walking-distance, don't expect that. But within minutes - left or right of the hotel - is everything and anything you could want. We would absolutely stay at Patriots Place again and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Second floor units are very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank lk23ny
Janet C, Manager at Wyndham Patriots Place, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Hello lk23ny!

Thanks so much for your kind words. We will share these with our staff. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Again, thank you for reaching out and we look forward to your next visit.

In The Spirit of Hospitality!

Janet Crooms 757-220-5300

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to take a long weekend trip to Williamsburg as it is only an hour away from home. We had never stayed here before till this past weekend. We checked in late Thursday evening, it was not busy. Here's an overview of our experience:

Pros:
• Good location.
• Close to Colonial Williamsburg, Water Country and Busch Gardens.
• Lots of restaurants close by .
• Outlets are down the road .

Cons:
• Staff was rude and unpleasant.
• Walls are paper thin, can hear neighbor’s conversation as if they’re in your room. (I think my house is more sound proof then this place!)
• Carpet was dirty when we arrived. (I had to vacuum before bringing our things into the room.)
• The bed frame was broken. (Boyfriend had to fix it, as maintenance did not.)
• Refrigerator was not working. (Waited up till 2:30am for a new one when call was made at 12am about the issue.)
• Shower did not drain properly; you were standing in a bathtub filled with water while trying to shower.
• Maintenance barged into the room at 8am Saturday morning as they assumed we had checked out of our room as everyone else in our building had checked out. Yet, we we’re still asleep in bed and our check out date was not till Monday.
• Maintenance left dirty air filters, cleaning supplies and lint roller in hallway for two days. (Was still there when we checked out.)
• No amenities other than an outdoor pool, basketball court and volleyball.

With all the cons, we decided to leave a day early because we couldn't handle it anymore. When we told (Andie) we we're checking out early there were no question's asked about our stay or if there was a reason behind us leaving early. By far the worst experience I have ever! DO NOT stay at this old, rundown place! You’re better off staying at one of the hotels across the street. Or try to stay at Wyndham Governer's Green, where staff is friendly and has lots of amenities onsite.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the newer buildings.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Madison H
Janet C, Manager at Wyndham Patriots Place, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2014

We would like to thank you for taking the time to respond about your experience at Patriots’’ Place. We listen carefully to what our guest has to say.

Again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

The experience in this place was awful, ensure that the place is clean and dusted before you take your luggage to the room, the internet wifi was not working, the view of the room was apt he view of a construction zone, horrible

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Christian L
Janet C, Manager at Wyndham Patriots Place, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Hello Christian L,

We are sorry to hear that your internet needs were not met. As you know we have many properties which house a large amount of guests and their wireless devices. We are sorry you had to spend even a minute of your vacation dealing with the view of the pile of rubble which in-case you did not know does not belong to Wyndham Patriots’ Place. There used to be a hotel that recently was demolished. We apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

Thank you for making us aware.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The grounds of the property were what we have come to expect at a Wyndham, lovely and beautiful. We did have a 2nd floor unit and the steps, while in fine condition, were short and steep - so tough to navigate. The couch was not the most comfortable, but was sufficient. The kitchen was stocked with everything we needed, which was great since we planned multiple meals in. The pool area was nice and well stocked with fresh towels. The front desk and concierge were nice and friendly, our first set of rooms keys did not work - so we did have to go back and get new ones.

The resort was located close to the historic section of Williamsburg and not too far off from Busch Gardens. But our biggest issue was that the sign out on the main road was not lit up! It was difficult to find our driveway entrance many times.

Room Tip: I would ask for a lower unit.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Meghan F
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I try not to write negative reviews but I feel obligated to pass along my experience with this Wyndham Resort. We booked the room online and paid in full a few weeks before our arrival. When we arrived we were told they did not have our reservation. Even after showing the lady at the desk our confirmation, she refused to help us other than to tell us to call the third party that booked our reservation. She even told us she didn't have any rooms. Luckily, we were able to reach the book agents and she gave us a room. Our reservation was made for a room that could sleep up to six. We have two adults, two teens and one "tween" in our family. The room we were given had only one queen and one fold out bed. I called the front desk to inquire further and got no help. We ended up squeezing into two beds with one on the floor after we insisted they give us an extra blanket and pillows. We couldn't get our money back so we we had to go out to Kmart to get two air beds and sheets for our second night in the room. On top of this hassle, the room was damp and smelled terrible. The walls were paper thin (might as well have invited our neighbors into our room because we could hear every word they said). Altogether a very upsetting experience!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Sdqricci
Janet C, Manager at Wyndham Patriots Place, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Hi Sdqricci,

We apologize for your delay at check-in. We know after a long day of traveling the last thing you want to do is wait to get into your room. With your feedback we can continue to enhance the guest experience. If you feel the need to speak me further my contact information is below.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The staff was pleasant, courteous, and helpful. The rooms were nice, properly tended and in good repair. Everything we needed was provided. There was a demolished building in an otherwise vacant lot just outside one of our windows that somewhat spoiled the illusion of vacation, but otherwise the premises were acceptable.

The router was located in my bedroom and emitted a high pitched noise that was very bothersome. I took care of this myself by unplugging it each night. A minor nuisance, nothing more.

There is a swimming pool, a basketball court and a volleyball area. Other than these things you are on your own. There is no gym, which bothered me a great deal. No tennis court and no real place to run. The town offers plenty of things to consume one's time though, and I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first. Our view was horrible due to some demolition. Not ongoing, but a big pile...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Charles S
Janet C, Manager at Wyndham Patriots Place, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Hi Charles S.,

Thank you for the compliment about our staff, I will be sure to share with them. We have meeting with the staff twice a day where we share guest feedback. I am so sorry to hear that the router was a minor nuisance. We look forward to your next visit to the area.
Good Day!
Assistant Resort Manger

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The location of Patriot's place is great. You're barely 10 minutes from everything except Jamestown. Busch Garden's is very close as is Williamsburg, restaurants, grocery stores and an outlet mall.
We arrived around 2:00 and were told the room was not yet ready but guaranteed by 4:00. I left my cell number and was supposed to be called when it was ready. We ran to Walmart and stocked up food and water and just tried to kill time. Never got a phone call. We went back to the resort about 4:15 and the same lady said the room was not ready. Another clerk saw i was getting annoyed and found the key with my name on it and showed us where to go.
As is typical with time share resorts I had to get my parking pass from another desk so they could try to schedule the family for the free breakfast and sell you a time share. The lady at that desk was very friendly and let go on my way with out a lot of pressure.
The unit we stayed in was very roomy and had a small outdoor deck. You definitely want to stay on the second floor if you can. The units are set up like townhouses and are old. The floors in our unit were very creaky. I felt bad for the family below us every time we walked across the floor. The units are also well stocked with dishes and towels.
The sofa in the living room needed to be replaced. It had a big sag right in the middle of it.

Most of this is not a real big deal for us. We like time shares and condos because of the size and value and understand we're not staying at a 5 star hotel.. The service issues are the things that annoy us. My wife left her battery charger for her camera plugged in an outlet next to the bed. We checked out and forgot about it. We went back to the room 10 minutes later and it was in one of the housekeeping lady's purse.
All of our windows face one way. The view was big pile of rubble. Again, not a big deal because we mainly use the room to eat and sleep. And for the price, we would have had to stay at Comfort Inn for the same money.
One nice thing is that the resort is so close to Busch Gardens we were able to do the tourist thing most of the day and go to the theme park late in the afternoon when the crowds died down a bit. I'd stay here again only if I had no other options. Governor's Green is where we wanted to stay but they were booked.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Janet C, Manager at Wyndham Patriots Place, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Hello Darrikel,

First let me apologize for your delay at check-in. I know after a long day of traveling the last thing you want to do is wait to get into your room. With your feedback we can continue to enhance the guest experience. Thank you for guiding us on what needs improving.

Thanks so much for your feedback!
Assistant Resort Manger