Our family stayed at this hotel this past Thursday-Saturday (August 7-9). We had a Travelzoo deal that we used. The hotel was okay not sure why they are considered a 3 star. When we first arrived the outside of the hotel looked okay and the lobby was decent. When we got to our rooms it was very hot and stuffy. I noticed it was dark red stains on the carpet by the beds so I overlooked it. The beds had a big drop in the middle once you sat down on it. After getting situated we tried to turn on the air condition but it never turned on, so I contacted the hotel front desk and they sent someone right way. It was an older gentleman who was very nice. He found out that it was a broken fan motor so he notified the front desk and they immediately moved us next door.
The new room had a smell to it like an old musky smell and it had the same dark red stain on the carpet. The curtains were very dirty. The TVs were old bulky TVs not sure why they haven't updated their televisions as you can get a regular 32inch TV for a steal right now. The clean-up crew doesn't do too well of a job. While my son was playing with his toy my daughter went to retrieve his toy that fell under the bed and found food under the bed. How disgusting...... My son is only 18 months so just imagine if he found it he would have tried to eat it smh. Most hotels have two or more people thoroughly clean the rooms but this hotel I notice only has one. My daughter wanted to sit on the balcony but it had cigarette butts all over so we made her come back inside The beds were a lot more comfortable in the new room. The buffet breakfast was okay. The bacon was really good but overall it was okay. I think you can get better at the nearest pancake house or diner. I didn't have a problem with customer service as everyone was polite from the hotel front desk, the serviceman and the waitress staff. The indoor and outdoor pool was a very nice area and seems well kept. Seems as though they host a lot of events; which they are probably known for in that area. While we were there they hosted a family reunion and a pageant (which my 5 year old thought was neat).
Overall, like a previous reviewer stated you get what you pay for; the next time we return to Williamsburg I am just going to stick to what I know and book either with Marriott, Holiday Inn Express or Hilton. I don't mind paying extra for quality. With a good renovation of the hotel, this hotel would definitely have 3 star potential.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fort Magruder Hotel and Conference Center is beautifully set in a wooded area and landscaped around the site of an original redoubt from the Battle of Williamsburg of 1862. The Hotel is conveniently located only minutes away from Historic downtown Colonial Williamsburg, the College of William and Mary, 2 miles away from beautiful Busch Gardens and 3 miles away from Water Country USA. The four-story hotel comprises of 303 guest rooms and Suites and 26,000 square feet of meeting/exhibit space. The hotel offer an array of features and amenities including a heated indoor pool with hot tub, Fitness Center, Complimentary Business Center, Complimentary High-Speed Wireless Internet Service and Pet Friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, getaroom.com, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fort Magruder Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Williamsburg Crowne Plaza
- Crowne Plaza Williamsburg