“Not the best hotel - believe me.”

Governor's Inn - Colonial Williamsburg
Ranked #34 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
New York City, New York
“Not the best hotel - believe me.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently and it was the most awful stay I've ever experienced. First off, don't let the pictures fool you. Although the room was somewhat adequate, the halls on all floors were dirty, leaves and cobwebs everywhere, as well as cracks in the ceiling. My son noticed a dead bug on our floor (3rd) when we arrived, the bug was still there when we left 4 days later. A bird's nest was noticed near the light fixtures, all 3 vending machines on each floor was not working. My two boys refused to visit the pool - which is completely unheard off, since they are both like fish. The elevator smelled moldy and damp. The only good thing about this hotel was the breakfast, and the front desk lady, Amber. She was beautiful, courteous and always smiling. She made our stay a little comforting. The shuttle to the parks was also a plus. Also, there's a train track at the side of the hotel, which makes the rooms shake whenever it goes by at yes, 2 am. If you're thinking about staying here, don't. My boys told me over and over that they are not coming back here. Thanks but no thanks.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the train tracks are probably better and quieter.
3 Thank Lez R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Loved this place because only three blocks from Merchant's Square. We walked everywhere to Colonial Williamsburg but can also get free shuttle to other tourist attractions like amusement parks. On site swimming pool. Room adequate size with table and chairs, but probably considered small if you got kids running around. Free breakfast included of bagels, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cereal, juice and coffee. Limited but not horrible if trying to limit budget. However, $60 a night very reasonable for location to main attraction and what it offered. Only negative is I'd like to have small fridge. But there is ice machine. Will stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

The Governor's Inn is the only budget accommodations on the Colonial Williamsburg property. It cost under $75/night including taxes, breakfast, etc. That was the best part about the accommodations. It is close to the attractions, being about a mile or so walk to Colonial Williamsburg, but I don't think there are sidewalks the entire way. You conceivably wouldn't have to drive and deal with parking. It was raining hard during our visit, so we didn't try out walking.

The hotel also includes a pretty decent breakfast with waffles, yogurt, toast/bagels, cereal, fruit, juice and coffee. The breakfast area is tight and can get crowded. We were there in August (summer), which was probably the height of the crowds.

The room is a standard hotel room with two queen sized beds, tv, bathroom with shower/tub and toilet. There is a mini-fridge. It was not luxurious, but was clean and was good for our purposes. I wouldn't want to spend time in the room, but fine to sleep and shower there.

The pool looked nice, but it wasn't hot enough during our visit to use it.

1 Thank adqp
Camden, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Good size clean room for family of 4. Pool was large. shuttle service to park was a plus.Room was updated w flat screen tv.Continental breakfast was good.Staff was pleasant. Did not hear any noise outside room,

Morehead City, Nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

My husband and I had a very pleasant three night stay at this motel. It isn't a fancy motel, but very nice. It was the quietest motel we have ever stayed in. We heard no noise from the rooms around us or from outdoors. Upon arrival, we saw a train track to one side of the motel, but we never saw or heard a train. The room was clean. The towels were nice and fluffy. We had more towels than we needed. The pillows were also very nice. The staff at the front desk was very nice and housekeeping was GREAT. When we checked in, we were given a map of the area and information on the available free shuttle to area attractions which we gladly used for our Busch Gardens visit. That was a $15 savings on parking. We also were given a voucher for a free event at Williamsburg. When I called before arrival to ask, if our room would have a small refrigerator, I was told it would not, but they could put one in, if we needed it. I told them that wouldn't be necessary, but it certainly was nice of them to offer to provide one.
Breakfast was sufficient for our needs and an attendant was always near by. She kept the area very well stocked. There were boiled eggs, bagels, donuts, breads, instant grits and oatmeal, pastries, fruit, coffee, juices and milk. Some reviewer said the breakfast area was always crowded, but we never had a problem. Outside the window to the breakfast area were some flowering shrubs, which were full of beautiful butterflies every morning. Some people watched the news on the TV overhead, but I loved watching the butterflies! :) This motel doesn't have discount rates, but the $60 per night rate was great. I would recommend calling them directly. I made our original reservations through Expedia without realizing what I had done until I needed to cancel, because of sickness. I called the motel direct to cancel, but they couldn't do it. Expedia wouldn't let theml, I had to call Expedia and was on the phone 30 minutes while they contacted the motel, etc.. I would recommend this motel to anyone who would like a clean, quiet place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 69clammer
Cheshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

We are a family of four & stayed four nights here to visit colonial Williamsburg, Busch gardens & Water Country U.S.A, the plus points of a stay here are – it is a official Colonial Williamsburg property so some perks in C/W, the pool is a decent size, free parking, very close to C/W, free shuttle to Busch gardens & W C/U.S.A, reasonable price, our room was clean & well serviced by housekeeping during our stay, front desk staff were friendly efficient ,helpful, very nice people. The only downsides we found were – it’s the least expensive C/W property because in reality it’s a motel in all but name , typical motel layout, not a bad thing as you can park outside your room, but after staying in several hotels on this trip ,it was by far the smallest room, like I say average motel room, if you have ever stayed at Disney’s Pop Century their rooms are an identical layout & size, also free breakfast is always a plus but limited choice as it’s a continental style breakfast, the breakfast area is small although there was a sign that said extra seating upstairs, it was pretty chaotic the 1st 2 days & crazy busy on the 3rd, by the 4th morning we just ate out as we just wanted to relax & enjoy breakfast, but apart from breakfast if you want to stay close to C/W on a budget this could be a good choice.

1 Thank cheshirelad01
Manteo, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed one night to spend a couple of days at Water Country USA. Arrived in the morning to check in before going to the park. Amber greeted us with a smile and was very helpful getting us in our room early so we could head out for the day. Added bonus was the shuttle that was offered to the water park. Saved on gas and parking fees. We received a voucher for all of us to attend an evening program at Colonial Williamsburg. By the time it was all said and done, I felt like we had made money! I plan to stay there again when we tour Colonial Williamsburg.

1 Thank TravelingMomFromOBX