“actually a little below average”

Governor's Inn - Colonial Williamsburg
Ranked #35 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
“actually a little below average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed from 7/4 to 7/6/14 at this motel, It has been 2 years since we have stayed here. it's a nice location but The hotel really needs a renovation. The carpet, curtains,and definitely the bathroom. the light fixtures have switches that don't work. I supervise a cleaning staff for a living,and if one of my staff cleaned the room as it was left for us, I would have made them clean it again because it was not cleaned properly. On our next visit we will be staying elsewhere,probably the Williamsburg woodlands.Also, when we called and said we had all the makings for coffee, but no coffeepot, they said they would bring one, but never did!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frances C
woodlands76, General Manager at Governor's Inn - Colonial Williamsburg, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Please accept my sincere apologies for the housekeeping problems you encountered during your stay. I have followed up on your concerns with our Executive Housekeeper and staff to ensure our guest service standards are consistently enforced and adhered to.

Your valuable feedback allows us to correct the issues that you experienced and we look forward to serving you much better in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Cranford, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The first time I went to Colonial Williamsburg, 3 years ago, my fiance and I stayed here. I was a bit unsure because when we pulled into the parking lot it reminded me of a Motel 6 or something to that affect. As soon as we walked into the common area where the front desk is we were greeted by one of the nicest front desk attendants we have ever met. Her name is Anne. She made our stay very comfortable and you couldn't ask for a better location! I would say it is about a 10 minute walk to Merchants Square. Once you reach Merchants Square you are steps away from the entrance to Colonial Williamsburg itself. Last year we returned to Williamsburg with my cousin and her husband and we stayed here again. You can not beat the value and for someone like me who only needs somewhere to sleep it is the best thing around! No only that but you get discounted tickets for the length of your stay to Colonial Williamsburg and the Revolutionary City! We loved it so much we are going back this October!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank grapess80
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night to get a quick look around Williamsburg on our way to Virginia Beach. We knew it would be evening by the time we arrived and only planned in sleeping in the room. When pulling In it kinda reminded me of low rent apartments or a dorm. The lady at the desk was nice and changed our room assignment once she saw I had asked to be away from train tracks and we needed a fridge for my husband's meds. Once in the room we had a problem with the a/c unit, it would make a horrible noise when turning off and on. They said it would be checked while we went to eat. By the time we got back it was after midnight and young people in their 20 ' s seemed to be running around making noise. Our a/c was not fixed either. We had to live with being woke every time it went off or on. The pillows were hard and the room was not well cleaned. It wasn't filthy but just not great, hair in tub...etc. We did NOT hear the train so that was a plus.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
I am very disappointed that we did not quite meet your expectations during your recent stay at the Governor’s Inn. Please know that we take your concerns very seriously and have followed up on the noisy AC unit and housekeeping issues you had.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback which helps us to improve our guests’ Colonial Williamsburg experience. We look forward to serving you better in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Williamsburg hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

The last time I stayed here was 20yr. ago and I think the only thing that has changed is the linens and curtains. That being said, the room was extremely clean and neat. I felt very comfortable. The short walk to the Merchant Square was great and the staff was very helpful. Breakfast was a bit limited and very crowded but the 2 seating areas helped. I would definitely stay again. You can't beat it for the price.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank disneymomalways
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Governor's Inn for 2 nights in June. The location is near perfect, its a few blocks from Colonial Williamsburg, William & Mary, and Merchants Square. Its a pleasant walk through an upscale neighborhood.
The staff was very helpful and had emergency toiletries in case something was forgotten (in our case, toothpaste).
The breakfast had an array of pastries, toast, English muffins, and bagels as well as fresh fruit, yogurts, and cereals. No complaints with this at all!
The outside of the buildings remind me of college dorms, and could be updated. The only room choice they have are 2 double beds which is small for two tall people. That said, the room was spacious, clean, and the bed was comfortable with great pillows!
I have already booked another stay with the children when we come down to Busch Gardens!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andra B
Deltona, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

This hotel is absolutely horrible strictly based on the lack of customer service. We called on Friday to ask if we could check in early as we were driving up from Florida during the night. We spoke to a woman named Joyce who informed us that check in is at 4pm but she would place a note on our account to have our room clean and readied for us as soon as possible. We arrived at 11am on Saturday and checked to see if we could get in the room. We were told the rooms were not ready which we were fine with and left our number so they could contact us when it was finished. Two hours later, after we hadn't heard from them, we checked again, and they said the room was still not ready. Now we are starting to get annoyed.

First, there is a note in the account that the Saturday front desk staff acknowledged was, in fact, in there. Second, even if the previous occupants checked out at 11 does it truly take two whole hours to clean the room? It does if you don't advise your cleaning staff that that particular room needs to be cleaned. See how simple a solution that is? You get on your walkie talkie or if you are too ghetto an establishment to have even cheesy walkie talkies to communicate across your property you waddle yourself from behind the front desk and WALK your lazy behind to wherever the cleaning staff is and inform them that you have a squeaky wheel customer who was given information THE DAY BEFORE by another of your OWN STAFF and the room needs to be cleaned straight away. Did that happen? No. Why? Our guess is there is zero interest in proper customer service training as there is ZERO interest in providing the customer with any kind of decent service. Plus, it would take common sense and a functioning brain to think of such a simple solution.

So, again, we wait. Two hours AFTER THAT I go and speak to the front desk and they say that we have to wait for ALL of the rooms to be cleaned before they allow us to enter the room. Now, why would all of the rooms on the property need to be clean before they could begin check in for ONE customer? At this point, running on ZERO sleep, having a wedding we had to attend at 5:30pm we called the call center to see about a refund of the money we already paid for the room. After a ton of time spent on hold they advised us that there was nothing the call center could do, that it was up to the discretion of the front desk whether or not to refund our money in full but that they had spoken to the front desk. They also informed us that the front desk said they never told us we would have to wait for all rooms to be cleaned in effect calling us liars. I had ZERO faith that the front desk would give me anything but problems regarding a full refund because they had themselves been NOTHING BUT A PROBLEM.

It seems that our venturing to a different source (the call center) spurred them in to some kind of action so FOUR HOURS later they called to say the room was ready. I understand that the stated check out time is 4pm. However, if I had been informed by Joyce that there was no way possible for us to get into our room any earlier I would have figured out a different way to get some sleep while waiting for the room. Because I had been informed by Joyce that she was placing a note on the account and THEN because the front desk acknowledged the note I wasted FOUR HOURS waiting for them to all do what they said they were going to.

This hotel is horrible, the staff is awful and I have finally learned that you do get what you pay for. Their price is the lowest for a reason and it's not a good one.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kasey B
Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Easy walk to center of the city. Rooms dated and not well cleaned. Forgot to leave tip first morning & air was off that afternoon & waste basket not emptied w/no new soaps. Left tip next day & room cleaned as well as apparently usual, air on & new cups & soap. Look in corners/move chairs & note when the last time that part of the room was vacuumed.

Room Tip: No preference. Was near pool & heard no noise.