“Great Deal! Nice Staff! No Problems!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Governor's Inn - Colonial Williamsburg

Governor's Inn - Colonial Williamsburg
Ranked #36 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Austin, Texas
“Great Deal! Nice Staff! No Problems!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed here 3 night in July and had a wonderful time. I was skeptical due to the reviews but figured you cant beat the price right? Well it all went fine. It is a motel as described. Room was clean but to me smelled musty. We sprayed some febreeze around and chalked it up to high humidity and went on with the vacation. The whole time we were there the staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good and the area was clean. We walked to Colonial Williamsburg without any problems. We use the pool one evening and it was clean and the water felt great. We got discounts on our tickets to Colonial Williamsburg one free night event the Swords Play you just show your Hotel Card to get in and Discounts on a ghost walk. All in all it was a great time at a great price.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Michelle A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

On the outside I said "Oh My" aloud, but because it is part of the Colonial Williamsburg property, you get all the great perks as a higher class hotel. Our room was not the cleanest, the tub was NOT even cleaned nor was the room vacuumed, however you can't beat 3 blocks away from everything!! My only complaint about breakfast is that all four toasters (2 downstairs and 2 upstairs) are broken, I think they were new when I was born (forever ago!). If they updated their toasters then the lines would go much much faster in the morning, but because they no longer toast you have to keep pushing it down.

The only thing that made me upset was that a requested a woods view far from the pool, and we were right smack dad next to the pool, no woods.

Other then the cleanliness, the toasters, and the lack of reservation requests, I would stay here again :)

Room Tip: Further in the back due to the train. And away from the pool (it gets noisy).
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TBerg854
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

This hotel was fine for the price. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast offered plenty of choices and the person who was maintaining the breakfast area kept refilling items and worked to keep the area clean. The pool looked inviting although we didn't have the opportunity to use it. The room was fine - although I question how well the floor was cleaned as we found a cell-phone case from a previous guest laying beside the bed. The only other issue was that there was no elevator. Maybe I should have asked - but I assumed that all hotels have elevators as my husband has a hard time with steps and our room was on the second floor. (Makes it a challenge to drag luggage to your room!) However, the location is great - very close to Colonial Williamsburg. For a quick stay - this hotel worked well for my family and me.

Room Tip: Ask for first floor if you can't walk (or drag luggage) up the stairs.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sue_loves2travel4fun
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

This place doesn't look like much, but because it's a Colonial Williamsburg property, you get first-class service and all the perks of the pricier places. Plus, it's clean, the pool is great and the price can't be beat. It became our "go to" place when we would come for an impromptu stay. When we had a problem with the alarm clock going off in the wee hours in the empty room next to ours, they were right on it. That night when we returned to the room there was a gift bag of CW's house label soda and peanuts along with a note apologizing for our inconvenience! Plus you're walking distance to the Revolutionary City, Merchants' Square, William and Mary, and a short drive to restaurants, movies, and more. We've suggested it to several friends and they've also enjoyed their stays.

Room Tip: Ask for one toward the back. There are railroad tracks nearby and rooms in the front are probably no...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank vikismom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed from 7/4 to 7/6/14 at this motel, It has been 2 years since we have stayed here. it's a nice location but The hotel really needs a renovation. The carpet, curtains,and definitely the bathroom. the light fixtures have switches that don't work. I supervise a cleaning staff for a living,and if one of my staff cleaned the room as it was left for us, I would have made them clean it again because it was not cleaned properly. On our next visit we will be staying elsewhere,probably the Williamsburg woodlands.Also, when we called and said we had all the makings for coffee, but no coffeepot, they said they would bring one, but never did!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Frances C
woodlands76, General Manager at Governor's Inn - Colonial Williamsburg, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Please accept my sincere apologies for the housekeeping problems you encountered during your stay. I have followed up on your concerns with our Executive Housekeeper and staff to ensure our guest service standards are consistently enforced and adhered to.

Your valuable feedback allows us to correct the issues that you experienced and we look forward to serving you much better in the future.
Cranford, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The first time I went to Colonial Williamsburg, 3 years ago, my fiance and I stayed here. I was a bit unsure because when we pulled into the parking lot it reminded me of a Motel 6 or something to that affect. As soon as we walked into the common area where the front desk is we were greeted by one of the nicest front desk attendants we have ever met. Her name is Anne. She made our stay very comfortable and you couldn't ask for a better location! I would say it is about a 10 minute walk to Merchants Square. Once you reach Merchants Square you are steps away from the entrance to Colonial Williamsburg itself. Last year we returned to Williamsburg with my cousin and her husband and we stayed here again. You can not beat the value and for someone like me who only needs somewhere to sleep it is the best thing around! No only that but you get discounted tickets for the length of your stay to Colonial Williamsburg and the Revolutionary City! We loved it so much we are going back this October!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
6 Thank grapess80
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night to get a quick look around Williamsburg on our way to Virginia Beach. We knew it would be evening by the time we arrived and only planned in sleeping in the room. When pulling In it kinda reminded me of low rent apartments or a dorm. The lady at the desk was nice and changed our room assignment once she saw I had asked to be away from train tracks and we needed a fridge for my husband's meds. Once in the room we had a problem with the a/c unit, it would make a horrible noise when turning off and on. They said it would be checked while we went to eat. By the time we got back it was after midnight and young people in their 20 ' s seemed to be running around making noise. Our a/c was not fixed either. We had to live with being woke every time it went off or on. The pillows were hard and the room was not well cleaned. It wasn't filthy but just not great, hair in tub...etc. We did NOT hear the train so that was a plus.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
I am very disappointed that we did not quite meet your expectations during your recent stay at the Governor’s Inn. Please know that we take your concerns very seriously and have followed up on the noisy AC unit and housekeeping issues you had.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback which helps us to improve our guests’ Colonial Williamsburg experience. We look forward to serving you better in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Williamsburg hotels