“Very nice resort”

Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Very nice resort”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

If you're visiting the Williamsburg area, this is a lovely and convenient place to stay. It also had a little something for everyone. My younger son and I played golf on the fabulous river course. My older son road his bike and hiked the resort's wooded trails; and my wife enjoyed the spa. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The resort is also reasonably close to the Williamsburg historic district as well as Jamestown and the other historical attractions in the area, as well as Busch Gardens. The grounds are lovely, located right on the James River. The only feature I can't really recommend is the restaurants. For both breakfast and dinner, we found them to be average quality and overpriced; however, there are many choices for food in the area, and you can also cook in your suite.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper levels are quieter, and the river view rooms have the prettiest view.
3 Thank Sophist1956

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Thai first
Silver Spring, MD
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Kingsmill is a great resort with plenty of activities. The rooms are spacious and very clean and the service received from (almost) everyone was top class.

Room Tip: For an extra treat get a room facing the James River.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Potomac, MD
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Kingsmill is by far the worst experience I've ever had at a resort. I reserved two rooms online, late March. First: The food was absolutely the worst. We had breakfast and dinner at the resort resturant. The menu was not kid friendly and the adult meals were Denny's quality at Ruths Chris rates. Second: My brother and I made tee times for golf and paid online...once at the course, we were told that we hadn't paid online (upon further discovery we found out that we were right). However, we were asked to stand aside and wait until they could investigate. We felt like we were stealing something. Third: Prior to arriving we called to see if there were kids activities. We were told about some "kids camp." Whne we asked the front desk and the conceirge, they knew nothing about a kids camp. My kids ended up going to Busch Gardens instead and had a great time. Fourth: The worst service ever. Kingsmill employees don't really like working there. No one makes eye contact with you. No one says hello. Fifth: I took my kids down to the little beach area next to the marina. There was a drunk guy in his van with two Kingsmill Police officers surrounding him. They dragged the guy out of his car... the guy was screaming at me and my kids to help him. While the cops dragged him on the pavement to put him in the cop car. Awesome vacation! I went to complain to the front desk... I stood in front the front desk associate and she said absolutely nothing. She just looked at me and waited for me to say something. I said hello, she still said nothing...and this was the person I was supposed to air my grievences with... She didn't get it. When I got home, I received a survey. I wrote a two page note about my experience... no one has yet to call or email me (its been 4 weeks.) In my note, I advised kingsmill that they should send all their assocaites to a Ritz resort to see how a first class resort handles their clients. Oh I almost forgot, they double billed my credit card...I'm still fighting that one. Word to the wise, go to the DMV for your next vacation instead...you might enjoy it better than this place. If you are used to going to fine resorts (Ritz, Sea Island, Pinehurst, Kiawah, etc..) please don't waste your time here as you'll be terribly disappointed.

15 Thank TerpBlueJay
Xanterra, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at Kingsmill Resort. We use feedback like yours to assist us with improving the quality of the products and services we offer here at the resort.

I was saddened to read that you consider Kingsmill the "worst resort." The situations you described are completely unlike the type of quality service Kingsmill has become synonymous with. In fact, your situations sound more like a nightmare and I'm appalled that you had to endure this. Had I known your Kingsmill vacation was turning out like this, I would done everything in my power to ensure that your satisfaction was maintained. Please accept my sincere apologies for the outcome of your visit to Kingsmill Resort. I will be addressing your situations with the Kingsmill staff in an effort to drastically improve.

I truly hope that you will consider returning to Kingsmill Resort in the near future. Should you return, please ask for me and I will ensure that you are completely satisfied with your accommodations.

Robin Carson
Kingsmill Resort & Conference Center
Fordyce, Arkansas
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My wife and I stayed at this resort in conjunction with a college golf tournament in which our son was participating. I found the resort to be very nice, but not entirely operational as a result of the low occupancy. The only restaurant open was in the golf clubhouse and it was very nice. They were in the process of converting the area which previously boasted a short par 3 course into a water park in order to attract more families visiting nearby Busch Gardens. We stayed in a river side suite which was very roomy and fairly priced. The resort is well positioned for visits to both Busch Gardens as well as the other attractions in the area (Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Hampton Roads). There are three golf courses associated with the resort and the championship tract is very nice.

Room Tip: Get a suite on the river
1 Thank santhony
Falconer, New York
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Beautiful property. Stayed here with wife and 2 children what a incredible value. I chose to book
the family vacation that include Busch Gardens, Splash country, free breakfast (that was better than most restaurants.) and complimentary shuttle to the parks and colonial williamsurg. What more could you ask for at this price. For under 1,500 dollars we enjoyed a luxurious relaxing week at the Kingsmill. If you add up all the extras that they include for you in this package you will find that this vacation pays for itself. Cant wait to return next time will make sure that we upgrade to the river suites. The only bad thing i can say at all about the Kingsmill is that after one week there i was too spoiled didnt want to return to real life.

Room Tip: Book the river if possible. Much nicer views more enjoyable.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Portsmouth, VA
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I recently asked my assistant to book our annual Conference at the Kingsmill Resort and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. From the planning stages to the end of the event they were a pleasure wot work with. Victoria our coordinator was always there asking what else they could do for us. Our events were on time and our meals excelent. People will be raving about this one for years. The only problem is that I have to beat it next year and we cannot meet in Williamsburg again until 2014. I promise then we will be back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
NJ
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Very nice resort, wonderful golf, friendly and knowledgeable staff. My 2 sons and wife took lessons each morning with the head pro (Chris George) who was just excellent to work with. All 3 were at a different stage of abilities and he structured different programs for each and they were all very positive about the experience. Also, this was a good place for both an adult golfer or a whole family to play golf and enjoy the different courses (if you think it through). Enjoy!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family