“Good and Bad”
Review of Kingsmill Resort

Kingsmill Resort
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Overall, the place is nice and was reasonably priced. I see some reviews here about older, run-down rooms, but that was not at all the case with ours. The buildings are older and you get a little noise from the apparent giants roaming around upstairs.

We came for HalloScream at Busch Gardens and picked this as the closest place. Shuttle service is perfect and runs every hour from open to close and the drivers are very nice and helpful.

There are plenty of eating/drinking options on the property, but at 9:00pm on a Saturday, only one small place was open and it was packed and closed at 11:00. They did bring a bottle of wine to the room, so it all worked.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I attended a 2 day conference here and stayed for 2 nights. I got a double bed room because I thought a colleague might need a place to stay for one of the nights. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was adequate, but showing signs of wear. I think I was in a building that was due for an update.I was a little far from the main building; I drove the first morning because I did not know how far I would have to walk. Subsequently, I did walk (although, to be fair, I was not wearing heels the times that I walked).

Almost all of our food was served as part of the conference, and it was fairly good. The coffee ran out at one point and they were a little slow to replace it, but we were a large group, too. One of the dinners I forgot to notify them that I needed a gluten free meal and they were quick to make one for me. I love that kind of service! My raspberry sorbet dessert (a gluten-free swap) was excellent!

We ate on site at Regattas the first night. They were very accommodating to my gluten sensitivity and made an easy change to make my salmon dish gluten-free. It was very good.

There did not seem to be an automatic check-out process which seems weird in this day and age. I am accustomed to it being done and a bill being delivered to your door overnight or a television check out option. I had to go back to the main desk (or I could have called, I guess) to let them know to put the second night was on the card and to get my receipt.

One afternoon, I had a chance to walk the property. It really is a lovely setting on the James River. I would have enjoyed being here in the warmer weather!

All in all, it was a good experience and I would go back.

Room Tip: There are some river-front rooms that have wonderful views!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Pools were to crowded, not a good selection of food for a resort. Good location to go shopping at the outlets. Tried the spas and 2 thumbs down. The room I had my treatment done in was cold. My daughter had a teen facial was not good.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Claudia-Kingsmill, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Sasha H,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a positive experience at the pools or spa. The indoor pool did get very crowded during the rainy days in August.

Our spa managers try to address any complaints at the time of service (and offer alternative services), and I hope a remedy was offered during your stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies.

Kingsmill Resort

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have been coming to Kingmill resort for over 20 years and never been disappointed. It's a wonderful place to stay if you are in town for a convention. Quiet and comfortable. Not 5 stars, but a solid 4!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

We've started visiting Williamsburg every fall to visit family and go to Howl-o-scream. We've stayed at a different hotel each time. This year was Kingsmill. My sister told me it was a "really nice resort". In hindsight I realize she doesn't visit many resorts. I'll try to keep this short.
Pros: 1) location: very close to Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg, outlet shopping
2) well equipped gym facilities (even has some free weights which most hotels do not)
3) spa (and you can use the steam and sauna even if you're not receiving spa services. This isn't well advertised
4) free shuttle
Cons: 1) ugly. Our room was very dated with cheap furnishings. We were in a "deluxe" room. The room was clean, but the carpet was stained.
2) misinformation. Info in the room had the Bray dining room open for breakfast until 11am (we had a late night, don't judge). When we got there at 10, they were just wrapping up. We got the buffet. Mea culpa. Never get the buffet at the end. Everything is a bit disappointing!
3) poorly trained staff (about 50:50 some were excellent, others just awful). We had dinner at Eagles. Wish we hadn't. It's a very dated restaurant as well. Cheap appearing. The waiter didn't explain the special properly which resulted in a fish topped with crab. I'm allergic to shellfish. Sure I should've said that up front, but my allergy is mild so I don't need super special containment procedure. Just don't put it on my plate. I asked him for a different meal (off the menu--no more specials for me). It came out quickly and was properly prepared. I did not get an apology. Maybe I didn't hear him over the ridiculously loud party right next to us? In a nearly empty restaurant, I'm not sure why we were seated next to a party so large, so drunk, and so obtuse.
The desk clerk at the gym was rather unpleasant as well (young brunette). She just sits there with an unpleasant look. She volunteered no information. We had to ask about everything. Once I found the ladies locker room a nice staff member told me I had to go back to the front desk for a key. Couldn't the desk clerk have offered that at least ?

Overall this hotel reminded me of a mid range motel that just happens to have a decent gym. I may consider staying again in a nicer room. It's unclear from the website if the pricier rooms are nicer or just bigger. Honestly, if I'm shelling out much more I'll stay at the Williamsburg Inn. That place is swank.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank katmar13
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Enjoyed our stay at the Kingsmill resort and spa. Loved the location--right on the James river. The food at the area restaurants was good. We ate at the marina restaurant and the restaurant near the guest reception area. Both were quite good. The staff at the property was very nice and quite helpful. The rooms on the property were situated throughout the campus. The location is quite close to Busch gardens so if you are looking for a nice place to stay while you visit this attraction then you should check this out. We love to golf and really enjoyed the plantation course on the property. Wide open fairways and beautiful views throughout. Again, very helpful staff and had a nice time. The rooms were a bit small but well appointed. We even had a Kuerig machine in our room --nice touch--would definitely stay here again. Had a great time

Room Tip: This place is a nice visit in nice weather--with the rooms being spread out all over the property it...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melva S
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Beautiful resort! The staff were very nice and professional. This was a meeting/conference. In the smaller, breakout sessions, the seating was wonderful with nice chairs. The general sessions had the standard meeting room chairs. The room was a short distance from the general hotel. They have free shuttle around the resort but ample parking otherwise. Walking around is also very nice. Beautiful views of the James River. I am not a golfer but I can see how this would be a golfer's dream! The room was very comfortable. The showerhead, pressure, and temperature were all great! The only helpful comments I would have is the following:
1) move the ottomans away from the foot of the bed. You will undoubtedly run into them. It makes for a very narrow walkway between the bed and desk. They are nice to have in the room, though.
2) Instead of the traditional plastic covered cups, there are glasses with plastic inserts. Nice but if you have children, bring some plastic cups. If they were to get dropped on the bathroom tile, the tile would win.
3) Only one soap bar in the room. The shower has shower gel in the shower dispenser, as well as shampoo and conditioner. These are all in dispensers (not the small sample sizes you may be used to.) They are worth using, however, if you do not like shower gel, you will have to either request another soap or transfer the soap from the sink and shower.
4) I noticed that the suites on the sides of the building complexes did not have good lighting for the walkway at night.

All of the food was good. I did visit one restaurant on the resort which I also reviewed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business