“Great Location and nice amenities”
Review of Kingsmill Resort

Kingsmill Resort
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The amenities on the resort are very nice. The pools were great, especially the lazy river. The drinks and food were expensive as expected for being on a resort. However, you can have many places to eat within 10 minute drive. Our room was nice size for 2 adults. For an upscale resort I would have expected a better mattress. The absolute best part of the resort is the free shuttle to Busch Gardens, Water Country and Historic Williamsburg. The Busch Gardens ran every hour and the Water Country and Historic Williamsburg ran every hour 1.5 hour.

Room Tip: We had a King room that was good for 2 adults.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jamie W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,769)

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I wish I could say good things about Kingsmill, but all I can say is it is ok. The personnel seem to have a chip on their shoulders. The room was fine, but there were a few problems and the air conditioner would wake me up at night when it came on. Meeting facilities are fine.

Room Tip: Rooms are spread out over the area, so if you want to be near someone else, be sure to demand that.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank YesAC4858
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed in an enormous 1 bedroom suite with a river view. Other reviewers mentioned no tub. We had a tub in our suite. My boys slept on the pull out sofa that had a memory foam type mattress. They said it was very comfortable.

We picked this resort due to the pool complex despite other mixed reviews on service. The pool was great, and we all enjoyed the lazy river. I was a bit disappointed that the washer had a musty smell to it. I was planning to wash our swimsuits and beach towels from our day at Water Country in them. The suite was clean but not pristine. It was nice but not luxurious. The service was great. We had a clogged toilet one night and someone was at our room within 5 minutes. Given how spread out the buildings are on the property, I thought it would have taken much longer.

For my husband and I, the resort was adequate. My boys thought it was better than the Deluxe resorts at Disney. We all agreed that Williamsburg was a wonderful place for our vacation!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Ann Marie A
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This is my forth year staying at Kingsmill. This resort has been consistently investing in improvements to the property since being purchased by Xanterra and it shows. The staff is warm and accommodating. We stayed in a Deluxe room, which is located a bit closer to most amenities than the Resort rooms. The room was clean, comfortable, could use an update of carpet but was otherwise fine, not thrilling, but fine. (I have staying in the River rooms before and they are much nicer.) *Important note: the room got hot at night and the thermostat was locked so the room could not be set any cooler. The air conditioner didn't run from 9pm until morning, the room was very warm, leading to a hot, uncomfortable night's sleep.*

We ate dinner at Elements 1010 and had a very good experience - food, service and environment were excellent. We ate a light dinner another night at the James Landing Grill at the Marina. The decor, service, and location along the water are excellent. The food was good but not excellent. Entree average costs = $20-35, which is more than Elements 1010 and more than the Grill used to be. I would expect that the quality of the food would improve proportionally with the costs at the same resort.

The Spa is under renovation and temporarily operating in the buildings located in the Resort room area of the property. We didn't use the Spa during this visit so I cannot offer review.

This trip was for me and my tween daughter, with high hopes to enjoy the new River Pool, kayaking and paddle boarding on the river, and other outdoor activities. Unfortunately, it thunder-stormed during out entire trip. The River pool was closed the entire time. River amenities were closed. The other two pools were closed. It was mid-June and the resort was a ghost town. Bottom line: there is nothing to do on property if it rains but eat at its restaurants, which is not my idea of a vacation. Be sure to check the weather forecast before you come. If your schedule is set and it's forecasted to rain a lot during your stay, save your money and stay at a hotel in Williamsburg (there are several nice options from the Marriott chain). You will use the money saved paying to do the indoor activities you will be forced to find.

Room Tip: River rooms are nicest but also most expensive. Deluxe rooms are closer to amenities than Resort roo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SylvanBeachYogi
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We went to Kingsmill for a quick weekend away for the family. It was recommended by Parents magazine as a great resort for kids and tripadvisor had good reviews as well. Overall, it was fine. However, I expected more for AAA 4 diamond resort.

The Pros:
- staff was friendly, responsive and eager to help.
- our room was much larger than I expected.
- lots of options for things to do.

The Cons:
- our suite had a shower only (not good if you have a 1 year old)
- there were ants in our kitchen. To their credit, they sent someone over right away to spray and followed up with the cleaning people. However, it tainted the weekend for me - especially since the pesticide smell never went away.
- the spa was in transition, which I knew when I made the reservation. However, I didn't expect my massage to be in a brightly lit room. Nor did I anticipate that the staff would be cleaning the deck outside the room during my massage.

Neutral:
- the room furnishings are dated.
- I wasn't asked for my feedback, "how was your stay?" (either at checkout or via email afterwards).

Overall, we enjoyed our trip and will definitely go back to Williamsburg. However, we are undecided about going back to Kingsmill

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank VM360
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My husband and I wanted a quick weekend getaway and had never visited Kingsmill. We found the experience to be overall quite lovely. Every staff member we encountered was exceptionally friendly and that made up for the few negatives we encountered. Our favorite parts of the trip were the river view from our room, our delicious meals -- especially at James Landing Grille, and our first time paddle boarding. We also enjoyed our spa experience. The facilities were extremely weak, but they are in the middle of a remodel and the massages we had were above our expectations. The biggest negative we found was the room condition. It was very dated, but the beds were comfortable and everything was generally clean. There was also a lot of noise from above and next door so I hope they will renovate and add better sound insulation. We also were disappointed that the pool described as "adult" had kids each time visited and no food or beverage service. The newer lazy river pool is nice and offers food and drink service, but was crowded and more family oriented. Oh! And The Mill was a very cute coffee/breakfast/sweets shop! We will likely visit here again!

Room Tip: I suggest a river view room or the cottages which appear to be newer and very cute!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelck
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We continue to take the 5-6 hour trip from Pennsylvania down to Kingsmill Resort. We have been coming for over 20 years and always enjoy the experience. Every Summer. Spring and an occasional winter visit provide relaxation to last awhile. We Love the resort amenities, fitness, sauna whirlpools and on winter visits will stay in the resort only. Accommodations are always clean and spacious with suites equipped with full kitchens for family meals.. Sylvia in reservations always insures we have the best rate and looks for upgrades when she can. Not even sure Sylvia is in reservations but she has been taking care of us for years. Can't end without saying we miss the par three golf course that was replaced by a lazy river. Overall five out of five stars for our family.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family