“Great resort with plenty to do with kids!”
Review of Kingsmill Resort

Kingsmill Resort
Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Concord Twp, OH
“Great resort with plenty to do with kids!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

At a reasonable 8 hour drive from the Cleveland area this resort offers plenty for adults and kids alike. The grounds are well maintained, the staff are friendly and the food is fabulous. We spent every day at some point at the pool and with 3 kids the food there didn't break the bank. Kids meals are $6 and are large enough to fill them up easily. Service around the pool was hit or miss, but you certainly are also able to simply walk up and order food or a drink if you need or want to. The lazy river and slide were a huge hit with my 10,8 and 6 year old kids. The other thing they LOVED was kids camp. We had them do this one evening to have an adult only dinner and when it was time to get them they didn't want to leave. For $30 each it was a little pricey, but the staff made the 4 hours they were with them really fun and they all got a shirt from it which made my kids happy. They got a choice of dinner and ice cream later and when we came to get them they were playing a very energetic game of capture the flag. I would highly recommend this if you want an evening out alone.
The marina is also nice, we rented a pontoon boat one day and jet skis another.
My only complaint would be with housekeeping. I'm fairly certain the only thing that was done each day was make our bed and hang up towels. There were spider webs on a light fixture and the counters and tables weren't wiped down each day. Overall I'd highly recommend it here, we'll definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Thai first
Chattanooga, TN
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We recently stayed at Kingsmill for our family vacation. It is such a wonderful place and we will definitely return. All the restaurants were excellent, the view of the river was absolutely beautiful and the lazy river (my son's favorite) provided entertainment for the afternoon. The rooms were spacious and clean. Our only issue was the A/C freezing up on our last night, which was inconvenient, but the staff worked quickly to resolve the issue.

Room Tip: suite with river view
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My daughter and I arrived on Monday because the Hotel we were going to stay in was gross. Luis checked us in and he was personable and so professional and nice. The process was quick and he gave us a very nice room. The room was clean, the TV was placed in a weird spot so you could not both view from bed but that is a small issue but odd none the less. The tennis facilites were in great shape. They have a shuttle that takes you to Busch gardens that was on time and cool and very nice. When you want to go to the River Pool you call the front desk and they send a ride for you.

The River pool is why this cannot be a perfect score. The pool itself is nice. The lazy river is fun, but needs some rules. Kids are going the wrong way they are not in a tube and the lifeguard chair faces away from the right side of the river???? It would not matter because the lifeguard was on his phone. Not sure what the lifeguards do? kids were running and diving, yes diving in the lazy river which is very shallow, they said nothing. The food was good at the Lazy river but hte waitstaff were not managed well. When we arrived we sat down and 3 waitstaff in blue shirts were chatting by the bar with the manager who was in a black shirt they all looked at us and kept talking. I finally said to the teen, do I come up and order and he walked over. Um Manager...MANAGE. The computer system went down and he told his staff to stop taking orders. WHAT??? Don't make your problem your customers problem. Give them all pen and paper and you can send that into the kitchen and when the system is back up enter the paper orders. Not hard and that way you don't have a ton of customers waiting and when the system comes back up a run on the kitchen? Truly some management is needed there, not sure whose nephew got that job but he needs some help.

The checkout was lovely. The fitness center is under construction but when it is done it will be very nice I am sure. The resort is family friendly with water sports and golf and I would recommend it fully.

Room Tip: This is a large property. Make sure you know where you will spend most of your time and stay toward...
2 Thank Paco1926
Bethesda MD
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We go to KM at least once a year, sometimes twice. We returned two weeks ago. As always, the resort is beautiful, river pool is fun rooms are comfortable and golf is great. However, this time the staff were not as nice. At check in no one greeted us or smiled, and it was the same at the RIver Pool restaurant. The staff seemed frazzled and not with it. At Eagles, it took a long time for us to place order, eat and leave. The waitress was just slow. We were waiting for her a lot. We used to love Eagles's breakfast. Sorry they don't do that anymore.
The only improvement I would love to see is a bigger and better arcade and game room. The old one was not all that.

2 Thank Suzanne_tc
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Service was amazing! Every time a staff member passed you they waved and said hello. EVERY meal I had on the property was delicious!! The suite and all common areas in the resort are clean and well maintained. My husband loved his Sampler Massage at the Spa, I have mine tomorrow ;-). It was also my birthday and they sent chocolate covered strawberries to our room with a card. No complaints at all, I will be returning for sure!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Sherrima S
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Came here in may for a friends wedding and to play some golf. It's a beautiful resort. Everywhere we went, some one from staff drove by on a golf cart and asked if we wanted a ride. The golf course was great. They were having an LPGA event the following week so it was pristine. The night before the wedding, about 50 of us ended up at the Golf Club bar. They normally close at 10 but stayed open for us until about 12. The reception venue was great, and the service was excellent. Although we didn't get to do anything in Williamsburg, the resort is very close to everything (Bush Gardens is a mile away) and they had courtesy shuttles to take you around. My wife and I definitely want to go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at this resort for two nights, Friday and Saturday, in mid-June. For reference, we stayed in building 16 with a balcony room facing the river.

Usually I am the one that researches and books the hotel but this time my wife took care of all the research and planning and booked the trip as a birthday surprise for me. Overall, my wife and I were very happy with our stay. The room was great and the view was outstanding.

The resort is located at the end of a relatively long road about 1.5-2 miles off the main raid. The grounds are beautiful, it is peaceful, and you feel isolated from the hustle and bustle all the parks and tourist attractions back on the main drag. The rooms all appear to be located in detached buildings scattered around the property. There are no rooms in the main lodge/lobby area where the bar and restaurant is located.

All the buildings had two to three levels. Our room was on the second level in the middle so we had a room above and below us. Our room was a 1-bed king with balcony and river view. The river view was absolutely gorgeous and worth the upgraded price. The balcony was spacious and there is nothing but grass between you and the river. It was the highlight of our stay. The bed was extremely comfortable and my wife and I both got great night sleeps. The room included a single serve Keurig machine that came with two regular coffees, two decaffeinated coffees, one English black tea, and one decaffeinated tea. It takes standard Keurig cups so we definitely recommend you just bring your own favorites from home if you are looking for more variety. There was no microwave or refrigerator, which surprised us. A mini-fridge would have been great, especially given how detached you are from the main lodge. Standard flat screen TV with a wide variety of channels. Our remote seemed partly broken but we made it work.

The bathroom was pretty standard. One sink/mirror, with a shaving/make-up mirror attached to the wall. It had a shower/tub combination, and although these days most prefer a walk in shower (as we do), as far as shower/tub combinations go it was pretty nice. Looked newly tiled, with nice touches/upgrades from a standard/cheap tile job, and it was very clean. The shower pressure was immense…almost too much really. The water also took a while to heat and never reached as hot as my wife would have liked. They have three bottles bolted into the wall right in front of you in the shower that include shampoo, conditioner, and liquid body wash (soap). They had a good amount of towels in the room.

About our only complain is some occasional nighttime noise. In particular, if someone checks in late at night or middle of the night, it is extremely noisy, as the stairs and floors outside are made of decking wood so pulling wheeled luggage over them could not be louder. One of our evenings the lodgers above us checked in around 3am and seemed to be completely unpacking by all the drawers closing and footsteps we heard for about 45 minutes. It kept us up until the earplugs went in. If possible, I’d recommend asking for a top floor room and that should help a lot.

Beyond that though, my wife and I were very happy. The room was very nice, roomy, comfortable, and had beautiful views.

The resort has three pools. First, is the main pool where most of the families will head. It includes a smaller kids type pool, a decent size lazy river with a small water slide, lots of lounge chairs and some are in “beach areas” with sand, some outdoor games, and a snack bar serving food. All in all it is a pretty good setup. But there is another probably better option if it is an adults-only stay. Just outside (and attached to) the fitness center is another pool. It is sort of a hidden gem of the property as everyone flocks to the main pool and it sits up on a hill so you get a great view of the river with plenty of lounge chairs. There is also an indoor lap pool in the fitness center. My wife and I didn’t get around to checking it out but it appears to be a standard lap pool.

The gym was great. Lots and lots of treadmills and striding machines, lots of static exercise machines and a decent set up free-weights/barbells. You will probably be disappointed if you are a cross-fit junky as they really are not set up very well for that type of fitness but there is one free bar and lots of plates so as long as the one bar is free you can make it work. Either way, you can easily get a good workout here. It is good size. They have a separate room with some stationary bikes as well.

They also have a golf course. We did not golf but the course did look very nice to me, well kept, and oddly it did not seem overly busy. Along with golf they also have lots of tennis courts. They also have bike rentals to ride around the grounds (but nothing special, standard cruiser bikes). There are also some jogging trails as well.

They also have a marina with lots of rentals available. Check the website.

We didn’t eat in the restaurant but we did get breakfast room service on the day we left. Overall, the food was fine and the price was surprisingly reasonable. I had pancakes and potatoes and my wife had the three egg omelet with toast. We picked up quick breakfast snacks one morning at the little café near the tennis center, just outside where the shuttle picks you up and drops you off, and it is a good options for a quick, on the go breakfast.

The thing that surprised me the most was the value. It is crazy that on top of the room rate they don’t charge a resort fee or parking or some other fee. They also had very reliable, fast (and free) internet as well, in our room (not just the lobby). And on top of that, they offer a free shuttle to Busch Gardens that runs about every thirty minutes, a free shuttle to Colonial Williamsburg numerous times throughout the day and a limited shuttle to the water park. My wife and I used the shuttle to Busch Gardens and they were very prompt, on time and it was super easy.

It is really hard to believe everything this place offers for the price, without adding on resort fees and other fees. We highly recommend this place. The staff was always helpful and seemed to enjoy their jobs. If we are ever in the area again we will definitely stay here!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple