“Nice hotel, convenient”

Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Arrival was pleasant. Expected to be to be told I was too early for check-in but was hoping I could get the admission ticket (part of package) to the historic park.
Instead I was asked if there was any particular room I wanted. My response was a quite room with a view.
The welcoming package was opened and explained from the admission ticket, layout of the hotel, the nearby restaurant, the discount at the visitor center
to the timing and location of breakfast. I ended up with a quiet room on the 3rd floor with a nice view of the courtyard. The bed was comfortable, television and wifi were good.
The breakfast room can get crowded but not enough to interfere with having a good breakfast. Selection of food ranged from eggs, ham, potatoes to waffles and begals/toast and fruit.

The motel is close to the visitor center where you can either catch a shuttle or walk to different parts of the historic area for sightseeing and/or a place to eat - maybe a historic tavern or a restaurant in Merchants Square. being close also allows one to go back and forth to your room without the hassle of having to drive.

I enjoyed my stay here and would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank njslim
Write a ReviewReviews (2,214)

Reviewed 1 June 2014

First of all. Le t me describe myself so you know if you can relate to me or not. I am mid twenties, no kids, love luxury, love when things are easy, can't stand noise kind of person

Came here for a wedding by myself. Right away I felt like I was coming to a summer camp because the employees at the front desk looked like they were 15. The guy was also having a hard time understanding that I am not a local person (why would i be in this hotel if I were). It felt like it was a big deal for him to tell him how to get places, what number to call for a cab, and how to generally exist in this place.

He gave me a huge map and sent me on my way.

My room was how people like to say....cozy. you know what the word cozy means to me ?cheap, small, and uncomfortable.

I had two beds (most uncomfortable beds). YOu have a thin blanket..thank god for the extra one in the closet.

TV works...but freezes on the channels that you want to watch

Shower curtain could stand to be longer....like c'mon ! Water took a whole to get to the desirable temperature...water pressure was weak. The size of the towels offered I use for just my hair at home. they are also rough.

there is a hairdryer...works, but if you have a lot of hair, bring your own device.
The spa products are awesome. If you have dry hair, bring your own conditioner.

Noise. I could hear conversations of the people across the hall in their rooms. I could hear children screaming, which was a horrible thing to wake up to on a hang over saturday. I could constantly hear families strolling around the hallways, with their kids being super loud. At night however it's a ghost town, and you feel bad for even walking through the hallways in heels.

There is a continental breakfast offered. I just had coffee. Both days it was really busy, and the food did not look appetizing to me. In general, finding a place to eat here was a struggle. They have a pizza place on premises, but when I needed it it looked closed. I had a twix bar for lunch the first day I got here....and the vending machine ate my money.

I did not rent a car for the time I was here. My driver dropped me off, and picked me up to take me to the airport. They do have a shuttle that runs frequently into colonial Williamsburg, where you can eat

ANyway, if you are a family - you will probably enjoy this place with all the fun it has to offer to families and kids. If you are anything like me - go someplace else.

Staff got better in general, but I still encountered people whose response would be " i dunno"....#thanksforcomingout

I had 0 reception in the hotel. They have a room with 2 computers you can use
no room service, or at least not that i noticed

Room Tip: If you want to use the spa, don't stay at this hotel, Stay at the lodge. I had to use the shuttl...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Russian_queen1
woodlands76, General Manager at Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for sharing with us your recent experience at Woodlands Hotel & Suites. It is our goal to provide the highest level of quality and service to our guests in every aspect of our hotels and restaurants. I sincerely apologize for falling short of your expectations and our goals.

Please know that we are working to correct the issues that you encountered to ensure that they do not occur in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to serving you better in the future.

Ted Horan

Reviewed 30 May 2014

A large group of family stayed at the Woodlands for a wedding. Overall it was a very good experience. The rooms were nice - clean and well-lit. Basic rooms included a refrigerator and coffee pot. There's a microwave down in the breakfast area. The breakfast had good variety (bagels, waffles, hot and cold cereal, eggs, potatoes and breakfast meat, yogurt, granola, juices, fruit). Coffee and tea were both good, too.
There were lots of group seating areas, both inside and out. One evening we ordered a bunch of pizzas from the on site restaurant and took them to the breakfast area for our crowd of 20. The restaurant is only open for dinner and the cafe in the visitors center is VERY limited, so you need to plan for lunches.
The visitor's center (with a shuttle for around the restoration) was next door and the walk through time to Colonial Williamsburg was lovely - a paved path, but too far for the octogenarians in our group.

Room Tip: We were on the back side, but all the rooms seemed quiet and reasonably dark.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lissa74
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel earlier this month when we visited Colonial Williamsburg. Super convenient location. The staff was very friendly. Our room was clean and comfortable. Very good breakfast Good value for the money.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TriangleMom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

In early May, 2014 my wife and I wanted to visit Colonial Williamsburg. We picked the Woodlands because of its proximity to the historic center. Little did we realize it was just a five minute walk to the visitor's center. From the visitor's center we could either walk or take the shuttle bus to many points in the historic center. We rented a suite which was great. I could close off the bedroom when my wife wanted to watch TV. It was very clean and the employees of the hotel were all very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is part of the price. Although it is not the greatest it was very good and the offering was adequate. We will be staying there again this fall when we return to visit Colonial Williamsburg again.

Room Tip: Suites offer king sized beds and separate sleeping and sitting areas. TVs are in both rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ed S S
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were meeting up with our son & his family (coming from Ft. Bragg) He chose this hotel as it was right there by the visitor's center and entry to Colonial Williamsburg was "easily accommodated" . We were warmly greeted upon our arrival. Our room was ready and theirs was not, but they allowed us to check-in, gave us our Colonial Williamsburg passes which allowed us to do the tour and not waste that day. The breakfast buffet was fantastic! We only ate at the hotel one evening and had an excellent meal. Anytime we approached the front desk, employees were knowledgeable and friendly. A special "shout-out" to the person we spoke with when making reservations, he was great, I believe his name was George Kelly. We spoke with him numerous times and he re-arranged our rooms so that we could be close by each other.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is an excellent property for visiting historic Williamsburg. Just steps away from the visitors center and bus transportation to all the historic sites as well as the marketplace for shopping and eating. The check in and out process is quick and very friendly. The rooms are very nice and the beds were extremely comfortable. Our view was of the courtyard which was an excellent view. We were just a short bus ride away from our favorite restaurant/tavern in the historic area, Christiana Campbell's. The rates are very comparable to properties around Colonial Williamsburg but the other locations are not as convenient. The grounds are very pretty and you can actually walk to the historic area from this hotel if you prefer the exercise.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family