“convenient to historic attractions”

Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg
Ranked #4 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Cherry Hill
“convenient to historic attractions”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel was within walking distance to the visitors center and offered very convenient bus service to the area attractions. The Lodge is within walking distance to all of the historic area and I did not realize this hotel was not. This hotel offered many amenities for small children which we did not get to utilize because we were there to see the historic area, not use the pool. The breakfast that was included was very good and offered many choices. There was a problem at checkin with our reservation I had booked, in person, through AAA. It was corrected but I did not appreciate the desk clerk repeatedly telling me I should have booked directly through them

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dmcgonigle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We had previously spent a night in July at the Williamsburg Lodge and were disappointed. However, a representative from Colonial Williamsburg contacted us and went out of her way to try to correct the situation and listen to our concerns. This was very much appreciated. I wanted to make sure we wrote a favorable review for the Woodlands as our stay was pleasant and predictable. The location is perfect- at the entrance for the Visitor's Center. No need to drive anywhere. Room was clean and fresh. Toiletries (I appreciate nice products) are the best! Same ones for all hotel levels at Colonial Williamsburg, just smaller portions. Staff was particularly friendly and welcoming (this was very different from our experience at the Lodge.) Grounds looked great! This is an excellent choice for families. Two minor complaints- hot breakfast was not as good as it was during prior stays and people smoking outside of the main entrance could be annoying. Overall, great visit!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

This is our second stay at the woodlands, sorry to say I was not impressed this time. Way too overcrowded, so- so daily room upkeep, and worst of all noisy rooms. I asked for a quiet room and was given a connecting room- heard every word verbatim that was spoken in next room. Spoken- not shouted- just to be clear.
The setting itself is beautiful- I love colonial Williamsburg and have been coming here every few years for decades. The breakfast is excellent- love the whipped cream and blueberries on the waffles! Mini golf is fun too.
Overall it would probably be better if it wasn't overcrowded- but personally I wouldn't risk it again.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank ArtMom13
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I highly recommend the Woodlands for families with young children. Plenty of activities, outdoor pool, splash pad, family friendly restaurant and close access to visitors' center and free shuttles to CW. The rooms are VERY quiet, good laundry facility and clean hallways/rooms.

Pros:
- Easy access (next door, actually) to CW visitor's center with free shuttle to CW (no admission tickets needed to ride).
- Large pool, splash pad, outside restrooms all gated.
- Family friendly restaurant also next door, with outside games and activities to keep the kids occupied.
- Easy, free parking.
- Free WiFi that also works at the pool.
- Working laundry facilities with detergent vending machines (Bring $5 quarters)
- Kids activities nightly

Cons:
- While I said it's a "family" friendly restaurant, don't expect high quality food. Even the pizzas were just ok. Kids will enjoy the fare but if you are looking for quality, authentic dishes, go to the Lodge or one of the Taverns. However, the location and service wasn't enough to bring it down a star.
- You should purchase a package with admission tickets prior to arrival. The website is confusing. We only purchased rooms and found out later that CW admission is separate, also Busch Gardens and WCUSA are all separate. The hotel staff sent us to the visitors center, the visitors center sent us back to the hotel. We gave up and purchased BG tickets at gate, and at max cost. $$$
- Related to above: the website indicates the free kid's menu at Huzzah is part of the hotel stay. It's not. It's a separate package that you need to purchase. Very confusing.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brian H
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We recently stayed there and I was extremely disappointed ESPECIALLY for a "suite" room and the price! I have stayed in several hotels but never a suite so I was excited. However, we got there a little after 4pm and were not able to check into our room until 11:30pm because they said the room was being "inspected." Finally when we were able to check in, it was a different room because the other one was still not ready. The AC was next to nothing, did not circulate through the room, and shut off constantly.Our room keys didn't work one day, and we had to go to the front desk and get new ones. Also, there was a squished bug on the ceiling and I brought it to the front desk's attention, and it was still there the day we left. Needless to say, I will never stay at the Woodlands again.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank radtech7901
Chantilly, VA
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My husband had read reviews of items being stolen from guest rooms. Shame on us for not being extra careful but our sons' s Ipad was stolen! I've had an incident at a different hotel where I left a very expensive jewelry behind at a hotel and they shipped it home to me! How amazing is that? Don't expect that here! This is not the location for honest staff. Please take valuables with you, do not leave in your room! Very disappointed!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ACCJ2
woodlands76, General Manager at Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear ACCJ2,

Please contact me as we do not have a record of a missing IPAD from a guest room at The Williamsburg Woodlands Hotel & Suites. We have honest and dedicated staff along with excellent security procedures.

Please email me your contact information along with any information about this incident.

Thank you.

Edward Horan
Ehoran@cwf.org
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

The Woodlands was beautiful. It was extremely clean in the lobby and the room as well. The hotel staff were so nice and helpful. They had a free shuttle bus to Colonial Williamsburg but we walked over a couple of times and it was an easy 5 min walk. It is truly a family lodge with a lot of things to do and a restaurant on site. The food there was really good and had something for even the picky eaters. Breakfast was included with our stay and was good as well with hot and cold buffet. I recommend, you won't be sorry.

Stayed August 2014