“Highly Suprised at the Cost vs Experience”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Williamsburg East (Busch Gardens)
Ranked #38 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Virginia
“Highly Suprised at the Cost vs Experience”
Reviewed 29 March 2009

My arrival date was March 28, 2009. I was truely suprised at the cost of what I actually got. I had orignally booked my stay at a newer hotel for my Busch Garden vacation. I opted for the newer hotel because I'm very picky with cleanliness. My mind was changed only because of the distance of this hotel to Busch Gardens. I did not expect much due to the reviews on this site and the price I got for the suite. However, my mind quickly changed once I arrived to the front desk after 12 midnight. Upon entrance I liked the fact that the location is not in a busy area. The front desk staff were so friendly and quick at getting me on my way. (I expected a sluggish/hesitant attitude because of how late it was). They were just as perky as someone in a big establishment on redbull and no dose. My biggest suprise was the HUGE one bedroom suite I reserved. Not only was it clean but it smelled fresh. There was no hotel odor that usually comes with a hotel at this rate (my opinion). The linen looked new and was in abundance. The bed was very comfortable. I'm not sure how old this hotel is, but the walls must be very thick as there were many people going down the halls for breakfast and I only knew this because I opened the door. The breakfast was simply put, wonderful. They constantly restocked items that were low. From my past experience first come first serve was not an issue with this hotel. The food was fresh, all areas were clean and to say the least the staff kept up with a watchful eye on anyone having any trouble. To be honest they did a bettter job than some resturants. Anyone having doubts about this hotel should set the cost aside, that "you get what you pay for" stance, and book this hotel. The experience I had there should have cost more. $103.00 was money well spent. And Busch Gardens is only one mile like they state. No turns, underground railroads or anyt mystery pass ways to cross it's a straight shot. This will be my stay on every visit. Without question.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Ieesha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Texas
Reviewed 9 March 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel over the weekend. We booked the hotel room after reading many of the reviews on this site. I did not expect the hotel to be high end by any means. But I did expect it to be on par with some of the other Country Inns that I have stayed at. Overall, we thought that the hotel was in need of an update. The bathrooms were not as clean as we would have preferred. We are not travel snobs, but my husband travels frequently for work. He thought it was the worst hotel he had ever stayed in. I wouldn't go quite that far, but probably wouldn't book there again. In hindsight, I wish that we had spent just a little more to be at a better hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kutschie22
NC
Reviewed 9 October 2008

This hotel was only a couple of miles from Busch Gardens so very convenient for our stay.
The front desk staff were very professional and we were provided with the room of choice (top floor back from the road) despite making the reservation the day before.
The room was very clean. The only minor issue was it was a bit musty but that was more likely due to rain the day of arrival and day prior. Running the A/C improved that.
We found having the extra sink outside the bathroom to be very convenient. The baths had granite countertops and seemed to be recently updated.
The breakfast food was pretty good as they offered bacon, sausage, hard boiled eggs, waffles and fresh Krispy Kreme donuts in addition to the usualy cereal, bagels, fruit, yogurt, etc. As noted previously you have to microwave some items like the bacon and sausage.
The cookies in the lobby were a nice touch too.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed 2 September 2008

This hotel was located just south of Williamsburg in a quite area away from the hustle and bustle of the major tourist areas and traffic jams yet convenient to all the places that Williamsburg has to offer its visitors. The hotel was very quite and clean and the staff was very friendly and accomodating. The continental breakfast was above average with many options and was in a large dining area to accomodate a large number of guests. The room we stayed in had two queen beds which were very, very comfortable with nice, clean linens. The pool was clean and used the salt method rather than the chlorine method which is probably better for your skin. Just outside the pool area was a covered area with several tables and chairs so that you could be near the pool, yet sheltered from the sun and/or rain. Our room had an additional sink and mirror outside the bathroom which made it very convenient for more than one person to get ready at the same time in the morning. We've been to Williamsburg many, many times over the years and we would definitely consider staying at this hotel again.

• Liked — No one thing stood out above the other. The entire weekend was a wonderful experience.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
Northants, England
Reviewed 27 August 2008

Great for Busch Gardens and Water Country parks and close to Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg. Pool was fine breakfast was good. Reception have vouchers for theme parks ($12 off). Would have liked a fridge in the room but had to pay for one. No problems here.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 8 July 2008

This is the best budget hotel .The room is clean especially the carpet. Excellent service. Very good continental breakfast. The only bad about this hotel is close to the rail road,but it did not bother us because we lived in the city.

• Liked — checked in early
  • Disliked — close to the rail road
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed 21 June 2008

Here are the reasons why I will not stay again....
LOCATION... It is near Busch Gardens, but it is directly across from the train tracks and the train does run every few hours starting around 6 am and going till 11 pm. Travel to Bypass Road or Richmond Road for a hotel.
PRICE... For the amount you pay per night you should have a mini fridge in the standard room. You have to pay $15.00 pn more if you need it for your family.
BREAKFAST... Ok, I know that you do not get much for your free breakfast, however, this is the first hotel I have stayed in who didn't even make the eggs, bacon and/or sausage.. you have to do it yourself.
ROOM.. It was ok. This place needs to renovate the property.
HOTEL... This hotel only has 1 elevator and you always have to wait. The 2 computers that they have for their guest have limitations. You can't even view a menu... I had trouble going into email. The front desk told me that they have added a new program to limit the access to their guest... GEEZ....

Bottom line... I don't think this hotel is worth the amount you are paying per night. There are so many others you can choose from in the Williamsburg area.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family