“Unfocused Service, unkept promises, good food, nice atmosphere”

Le Yaca French Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Yaca French Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 394 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Le Yaca began in a tiny, country village(Courchevel)in the French Alps in 1964.Daniele Bourderau & Gerard decided that it would be fun to open a small restaurant. When friends learned of their plans they told the hopeful restaurateurs that they were crazy to think that people would drive 8 kilometers on a winding, icy road for dinner.Daniele and Gerard hesitated for 3 months and then decided: “yaca le faire,” a contraction of the French phrase “ il n’y a qu’a le faire” which basically means “let’s do it.” They called the restaurant Le Yaca as a gag. But the name caught on with customers, who were amused by the pun and contributed to the restaurant’s lore by inventing “yaca-isms ” of their own: yaca y aller (let’s go). Daniele came to the United States & opened Le Yaca in Williamsburg.Daniel Abid bought le Yaca in 2001. Daniel worked and trained in such prestigious places as “Le Pre Catelan” and “Lenotre” in Paris; “L’Amandier” and “Roger Verge" and to top it all off “Alain Ducasse.”
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Unfocused Service, unkept promises, good food, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We went to Le Yaca last night to celebrate our 18th anniversary. I asked for a quiet table. Our first indication of a lack of focus was when we walked in and the hostess had her purse up on the counter and told us she was headed out for coffee so she could wake up. She took us to our table which was in a room with just 4 other tables...it was perfect. We were the only ones in the room, it was quiet (no loud music playing), and we were out of the way any activity of the restaurant. That later proved to be a bit of an issue as we were left alone for 20 minutes or more at a time and it did not seem that anyone noticed us. We were given an IPAD to select wine...very hip, but the server noticed the battery was almost dead. The server asked if we had met the Madame yet. She assured us that on Thursday she goes around to all of the tables and talks to guests. When I asked a question about one of the specials, the server could not answer it, but assured me that Madame would know. (We never saw or heard from her all night and we were there 2 and a half hours). This was significant because I would not have ordered the special if I had known more about the fish...it happened to be a very "fishy" tasting fish...not bad, but not what I was looking for...the server did not know about the fish. My wife ordered the veal and it was delicious. She ordered it from the regular menu (came with green beans) and not the 3 course menu (came with spinach). She loves green beans and does not like spinach. When the meal came, it had spinach. My wife asked about the green beans and the gentleman that brought out the food (not our server) took the meal back. We waited for about ten minutes (my meal sitting in front of me cooling off) for my wife's meal to return only to see asparagus on the plate. When the gentlemen tried to take the meal again, we asked if he could just leave it while he tracked down the green beans so we could start eating. About 15 minutes later, the server came and asked us how everything was. We told her about the green beans and she headed off to track down the problem. She returned a few minutes later to explain that the menu was wrong...they did not have any green beans in the restaurant. She then asked if she could bring out some asparagus. We informed her that we had already explained to someone else that we did want the asparagus. If this kind of problem happened at IHOP, it would not bother me nearly as much. When I spend a hundred dollars on a meal, I expect better. We waited for about 15 minutes after finishing our meal before we saw our server. I selected my dessert (I had ordered the 3 course meal) and then we waited approximately 20 minutes for the dessert to arrive. It was elegant and they went the extra mile to put a little piece of chocolate on the plate that read happy anniversary. The also brought out 2 glasses of champagne with the dessert for our anniversary. Everything is in place for success, but the execution of the meal and the miscommunication between the staff and the excessive time between visits from the server made this anniversary meal a frustrating disappointment. There are other places to go that have much better service and good food for about half the price. My wife and I have plenty of experience with fine dining. I think I know good food and service when I experience it. Last night....we were disappointed and our night turned out not to be what we had hoped.

5 Thank Kristopher A

Providence, Rhode Island
“Fine Dining At Its Best”
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

In this day and age, the concept of fine dining is almost extinct. Even though La Yaca is in a shopping center and the building is not historic, the moment you enter you are taken back to an early French mansion. Even though the dress code is casual, you feel like you've been invited to a state dinner! The white linen table cloth, the soft spoken, knowledgable wait staff and the attention to detail is remarkable. And the food ... Oh, my God, the food. Every item is prepared perfectly and presented extraordinarily on your plate. Don't miss the boeuf et Homard (tenderloin of beef and lobster tail) and be sure to order the Gran Marnier soufflé for dessert. They also have two levels of pix fixe dinners (each three courses) for $29.95 and $39.95, each of which will delight you. La Yaca is a must stop when you're in Williamsburg.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank hll333
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Exceptional Experience”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

On August 11th, my wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary dinner at Le Yaca. It was an exceptional evening. From the moment we were greeted at the front door until we left we were made to feel like they appreciated our business. Our waiter was friendly and attentive but not intrusive. We ordered from the 3-course dinner menu. My wife ordered the vegetable soup of the day, tilefish over ragu and the orange souffle. I ordered the green salad, the beef tenderloin and crab cake and chocolate truffle cake. Everything was prepared better than we expected. Sauces complemented tenderloin and crab cake but didn't overwhelm them. We noticed that while we had one waiter for our table, the entire staff watched over all the tables and would bring out courses, refill water and wine and clear dishes. When our waiter found out this was our anniversary dinner, he brought us complimentary glasses of champagne. Nice touch. Overall, an excellent value for the price. We'll definitely return.

• Visited August 2014
“Very good dining experience!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Visited this restaurant on a Tuesday night and took advantage of a fixed price menu. Very good food and great atmosphere. The service was a little sketchy but did not take away from the experience. While our entrees were very good; the onion soup and desserts were excellent. This is a must if you are spending any time in Williamsburg! Check it out.

Williamsburg, Virginia
“Great Food, Great service!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We lunched with friends here today (Aug 6, 2014) and we all were very pleased with the experience. Our server Cody was polite, attentive and excellent at his job.
We ordered a bottle of Petite Bourgeois Sauv. Blanc and enjoyed it immensely.
I ordered the Steak Au Poivre--delectable! My wife had the Pork Tenderloin--delicious! Our friends both had the Crabcake--delightful!
The pace of our meal was perfect--not rushed through like so many places that want to resell the table. Made our reservations online through Open Table--very easy.
Yes, the restaurant is French and is therefore more expensive, but you get what you pay for. We'll be back!