“Really nice hotel”

Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Greensboro, NC
“Really nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

We were very impressed with this hotel. It's like new. Very clean, nice convenient location. 10 mins. to Busch and even less to water country. 5 mins. to the Prime Outlets. Breakfast was ok, sausage was like imitation sausage. Long lines to make waffles. Definitely recommend going to breakfast early, lot less people... after 8am gets busy....

Room Tip: I recommend bringing your own pillows... Hotels offer half pillows nowadays and we can't stand e...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Ithaca, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

There are many positives about this hotel. Rooms with two queens also have a sofa bed, which provides extra space for lounging in the room, as well as more comfortable sleeping options for families with kids. The refrigerator is decent sized. Our room wasn't spotless, but it was very clean. The front desk staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. It is a good value for the price.
The fact that this hotel was sold out for the 5 nights we stayed there presented some minor challenges. It meant that the hallways and elevators seemed to always be in need of cleaning. The breakfast area is small, and there was not remotely enough space for the guests to eat. Lines at breakfast were very long. It really doesn't make sense that a hotel with this many guests would offer free hot breakfast but not have the space to accomodate its guests.

1 Thank rhk45
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Traveled with my family of four. When we first arrived, we noticed a large pile of wooden crates in the parking lot. It was an eye sore. The check in was great as we were able to check in about an hour early on the floor of our choice.

The mattress on the pull out bed was horrible. While on the mattress, you could feel the metal bars through the mattress. It was very uncomfortable. We put the King comforter on top of the mattress to cushion it some. The WiFi was spotty on several occasions. I asked the front desk if there was a problem and was told that it was probably the ISP.

The temperature in the breakfast area was very warm. This hotel breakfast seems to be very popular and seating was limited. The staff often couldn't keep up with the demand for food. Items such as the pastries ran out quickly and were not replaced in a timely manner. There were always long lines for the two waffle makers. Perhaps a third waffle maker should be added. One one occasion, I noticed moldy bread and saw that it was removed. Coffee was very good and well stocked. The cereal was good and milk was replaced often. The tables needed to be cleaned off more.

The carpet in the hotel room was dirty and needs to be shampooed. Housekeeping did a good job with replacing towels. A few times, the housekeeper arranged my daughter's stuffed animals in a cute way on the bed. It was sweet.

We didn't use the indoor pool, exercise room or arcade, but it was nice that they were available. The location of the hotel was very convenient to restaurants and shopping. It was very close to Colonial Williamsburg.

We would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Checkout was fast and easy and the gentleman at the front desk was friendly.

1 Thank Georgiagal02
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

I stayed at the Comfort Suites at the end of July 2012 and stayed in the Holiday Inn Historic Gateway in August of 2011. My 5/5 rating for Comfort Suites is based on what you get for your money, not necessarily that I think it is up there with a Four Seasons or large resort, so please keep that in mind. Comfort Suites isn't perfect, but for the price you pay compared to places like the Holiday Inn Gateway, there is some value there but comparing these 2 hotels is more about what fits your needs just as much as money. Just for a point of reference, it was my family and I that stayed...me, wife, and 2 boys ages 8 and 4 in summer 2012.

Where they are equal: Location...they're almost in the same spot. In one direction you're about 10 minutes from Busch Gardens and Water Country. In the other direction are tons of restaurants, shopping, mini-golf, etc. The Comfort Inn is off of the main road behind a Golden Corral restaurant, but once you find it (which isn't that hard), you just use the side entrance and being off of the main road isn't such a bad thing. Cleanliness and housekeeping...I found both to be clean and rather new and updated, housekeeping did their job. Pool and workout area: Both were similar size indoor pools with a hot tub and the workout room was rather small for both with some basic equipment. The Comfort Inn has a modern black/white/red design all over which some other people commented on, but I don't really care about that as long as the room doesn't have some outdated, smelly drapes and linens.

Advantage Holiday Inn Historic Gateway: The room layout. I stayed in a 1 bedroom suite in both hotels. Both had 2 queen size beds, a pullout sofa, refrigerator, and microwave. However, the Holiday Inn had an enclosed bedroom that had a door to separate the living area. This was good when one of my kids woke up early and wanted to watch TV while my other son slept longer. There was more quiet with the door closed. The Holiday Inn also had a 2nd TV in the living area and more storage in the living area. The Comfort Inn didn't have a fully separate living/sleeping area. It was just a half wall, translucent partition. There was also less storage because of no cabinets in the living area at Comfort Suites and the only TV there was in the sleeping area. Having less storage and a partial wall wasn't a big deal to me this year as my kids are now a little older and I didn't need 2 fully separate rooms. The square footage of both hotels were about the same, otherwise.

Advantage Comfort Suites: Breakfast. Comfort Suites comes with a breakfast included in your stay. It is a self-serve that is one step up from a continental breakfast. It's not huge by any means, and it can be frustrating with a crowd and lack of seating, but you're not paying anything extra. There are make your own waffles every morning, and usually scrambled egg patties, a mix of muffins, pastries, bagels, cereal, juices, coffee, and one or 2 sides that rotate like potatoes, sausage, baked apples. Breakfast is from 6:30 to 9:30 and if you get there later it gets crowded and there isn't enough seating. We would usually eat between 7 and 8 and it was fine. We ate their 3 out of the 4 days we stayed and it did the job. If you're there closer to 9 when people are trying to get out to the attractions, you will wait a while to make waffles if you want them and then have to try and jockey for a table if you want to eat there instead of bringing up to your room. I know people complain about it, but when it's saving me $50 a morning to eat in and the food was OK enough to keep us all happy, I consider that an advantage. The food is not gourmet, but it isn't exactly a low end continental breakfast either. The Holiday Inn had their own restaurant where you could pay additional for a breakfast buffet. I didn't actually eat there when I stayed because it looked mediocre and if I'm paying $50 for my family to eat, I was going out to find one of the dozens of waffle/pancake houses within a few minutes of a drive.

Advantage Comfort Suites: Price. The rooms at the Holiday Inn Gateway were better, but I didn't need the benefits of those rooms and it would have cost me a couple of hundred dollars more to stay the 4 nights. Plus, besides saving a couple of hundred dollars just on room rates, I saved another $150 by eating breakfast in the included breakfast at the Comfort Suites for 3 mornings. I was happy to use the hundreds I saved by going with Comfort Suites on things like dinner and spending cash. The 4 night stay I took this year at the Comfort was way less than the 4 night stay I took at the Holiday Inn last year and the only thing I feel I sacrificed was a few extra drawers of storage and a door between the living and sleeping areas.

Bottom Line: If having a fully separate sleeping/living area and a 2nd TV is worth it to your family, then the Holiday Inn is probably worth the extra money it will cost. If that's not necessary to your family, try the Comfort Suites, save the extra money, and maybe save even more money if you're OK with the Comfort Suites included breakfast. The better hotel is the one that fits more of your needs.

5 Thank Uncle P
Roseville,CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

The decorations are funky, but the rooms are VERY clean and large. Breakfast is not gourmet but perfect when traveling with a family. This hotel is located 5 minutes from the Williamsburg Visitor's Center. Front Desk staff is always friendly and helpful. One downside is there is only one washer and one dryer for the entire hotel. I would absolutely stay here again. Many, many resturants nearby. Really an affordable find!

1 Thank acsaw
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

Stayed here in late July 2012 for 2 nights and had an enjoyable stay. Be aware, Williamsburg is a popular stop and the prices reflect that popularity. Finding the property is a little odd at first, as it is tucked in behind other businesses, but actually has its own entrance on a side street with an alternate entrance from the main street. Once you figure this out, it's no problem. Be aware, there's another Comfort Inn down the street--be sure to stop at the one you intended; this one is designated as Comfort SUITES. I'm not saying the Comfort Inn is not acceptable (I have no information on it), just that they are different properties, so check the address. It is convenient to the main attractions and there are several restaurants close by, with a couple within walking distance. As others have mentioned, the design and decor is definitely unique, but different in a good way as it has some personality rather than being bland. The room was clean and large--we had 2 beds plus a sofa bed and had plenty of room for 3 adults. Like most places, it could have benefited from some additional mirror space and brighter lighting for dressing, but this is not to imply it was dark and dingy, as these terms don't apply. The front desk was friendly and helpful, with a special comment about the evening desk staff--she was extremely patient and went out of her way to try to accommodate another group whose request I happened to overhear. We didn't experience any noise issues, from inside or outside. We had spotty cell phone service (ATT) in our room, but this was probably due to the location of our room (1st floor, back side of property), as the service outside was good; this was not a big issue for us. The weak point was the breakfast. It was okay, but just okay. They had strange, flat, round eggs with link sausage and the toaster was extremely slow. This isn't a deal breaker for me as it was decent and the eating area was clean, but on the second morning, we did choose to go elsewhere. The property was clean, modern, and fresh. I would definitely return and would recommend to friends.

1 Thank OneTraveler
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

Just had a family reunion at this hotel so I speak for all 50+ people. We were more than satisfied. Very clean, very modern. Mariam at the front desk is Super Great. She went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. The Hotel is located close to all of the attractions. I would stay again in a heartbeat.

2 Thank lsexton