“Modern feel, comfort, and close to attractions.”

Comfort Suites Bypass
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
North Carolina
“Modern feel, comfort, and close to attractions.”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Our three-night stay at Comfort Suites Bypass, Williamsburg, VA was very enjoyable. Beds were comfortable and clean. Refreshing modern interior. Hotel staff very helpful. Pool was maybe a bit smaller than others but during our stay we had plenty of room there. Breakfast was plentiful and good (wish they had sausage gravy and biscuits every day!). Within 2-3 miles of Colonial Williamsburg entrance and Busch Gardens very close as well.

Room Tip: Front of hotel rooms face parking lot, rear of hotel have view of trees.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DopplerGal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Powhatan, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed here two nights for a mini-vacation in Williamsburg. The room was large and comfortable. We liked the modern decor throughout the property. The pool and hot tub were both nice, clean and at the right temperature. The breakfast was plentiful with a few hot choices in addition to the standard continental fare. The staff were friendly and accomodating. I found the bed to be a little uncomfortable, but it's hard to find a perfect hotel bed. The hotel is set back from the main road, making it a little less noisy and busy. There are plenty of restaurants nearby and other attractions. It's very convenient to historic Williamsburg, Busch Gardens and Water Country. We will definitely be back for our next Williamsburg stay.

Room Tip: The two queen suite features a pull-out sofa which made a great toddler bed for our little one as it...
1 Thank Alicia A
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Spent a great night here staff where very helpful room was massive and not dear neither very clean and no smells with a lovely pool and hot tub with a small amount of fitness equipment.Wi fi was slow but there where 4 e machines being used just in our room there where plenty of places to eat within walking distance but we decided to go a short drive to Red Hot and Blue which in itself was great.There was plenty to be done in the local area what with Yorktown,Jamestown and Coloniol Williamsburg being so close and Busch Gardens which we where there for.All in all we thought his place was top class.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim C
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This was definitely not the best hotel experience I've ever had in Williamsburg. Or anywhere, actually.

The good?
Staff we're very friendly. I also enjoyed the decor. The modern and dramatic color palettes were very lovely and carried throughout the entire building. The chocolate waffles were yummy! And the coffee was probably the best hotel coffee I've ever had.

The bad?
Our room: The dressers were scratched and dented significantly. The towel rod in the shower had clearly fallen off the wall and they simply removed it and left the holes. There was a centipede on the floor upon arrival. The fleece blanket had someone else's hair tangled up in it. Pretty bad.

Breakfast: All the juices were out and I only discovered this upon tasting the repulsive watered down substances that resembled juices. Lines were very long and the food choices were a bit sparse.

Pool: it was freezing! Not to mention the gob of corse black hair floating around. The hot tub's water level was about a foot too low, which caused uncomfortable splashing and useless jets.

Noise: there was a large group of high school students staying at the hotel, naturally on our floor right next to us. The noise was awful and disruptive and woke me up several times. I called the front desk and wasn't provided much assistance, just that the chaperones would be taking care of quieting them. I have a 3 year old who was impossible to get to sleep because of this, thus impacting the quality of our trip. Lugging a 3 year old around who didn't sleep long enough or good enough the night before is a wasted trip indeed. We had several incidents of them knocking on our door mistakenly looking for their friends. Doors were slamming all night long. It was outrageous and very disappointing.

There are signs all around that say clean air, they're proud they're smoke free. Why then at 11 mad 11:15 both nights of my stay did I smell disgusting cigarette smoke billowing in my room? That smell repulses me and frankly if I wasn't in my pajamas I would've embarked on an investigative mission to discover the habitual culprit.

Summary:
All in all I was incredibly disappointed with the quality and comfort of the stay. I couldn't wait to get back to the quiet and comfort of my home and away from a very stressful environment. I must say that I have yet to have an experiences quite like this and I do not intend to stay here again. It saddens me that such events had such a large impact on the quality of a family trip that was very well planned and otherwise enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank SSFaulconer
veerbypass, Manager at Comfort Suites Bypass, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your recent stay at the Comfort Suites.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding the room condition, breakfast, noise, cleanliness of the pool and a smoke smell on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with the Maintenance, housekeeping department to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Williamsburg.
Counce, Tennessee
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Great location, quiet, set away from the typical busy highways, modern decor, clean, comfortable beds, large room size, very good full breakfast, friendly staff, nice indoor pool area, and a business center with a working printer. I stayed here with my wife and college age daughter recently and we loved it. We stayed in three other Comfort Suiters hotels on the same vacation and this one was head and two shoulders above the rest. The entire staff including the manager work very hard to keep this one spotless and you can tell they all enjoy their workplace and have taken ownership in keeping it looking new. While I was there, I saw many guests taking pictures of the unique modern decor and heard many compliments. Any time we are in W'burg in the future our home away from home will be the C-Suites. Truly the best experience ever!

Room Tip: "Rooms on the north side have less artificial light beaming in at night - wooded area"
1 Thank David S
Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great location, Quiet location. Very clean, Comfortable beds, good breakfast.
The first time were there we were surprised that the décor wasn't a colonial theme but grew to like the atmosphere. Friendly front desk, very welcoming.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank msgmom90
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Red, white and black is the color scheme at this Comfort Suites.It's definitely better than your average Comfort Suites. The beds are comfy and it was quieter than most hotels. It probably helps that it sits back off the main highway. It's modern and the Wifi was fast. I stayed here in May 2014 and the rates were very reasonable. It's a good choice while staying in Williamsburg. It's close to many food options and not too far from the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor's Center.

Room Tip: Try a room that backs up to the woods.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple