“Our family loved it!”

Wyndham Kingsgate
Ranked #26 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 July 2011

My family and I had a great time. We checked in on Sunday evening and were promptly given a 1 bedroom near the pool (we were bugged only once about the 1 hour timeshare sell and we didn't attend).

The Room : the one bedroom we reserved was on the second floor of a 2 floor building. My wife and I took the bedroom and my boys (10 and 7) slept on the sofa bed. The room was very clean and cool. The room also had a small 2 burner cooktop, medium sized refrigerator, convection microwave, dishwasher, stacked washer/dryer and a safe for valuables. All appliances worked well (didn't use the cooktop). There was a small dining table with 2 chairs in the living area. Overall, the room had plenty of space although I could see it being a bit cramped if the family spent most of the day in the room due to inclement weather. There is a programmable thermostat in the living area and it seemed this area was always 5 degrees cooler than our bedroom. Finally, there was a flat screen TV, DVD player, and stereo in the living area and a tube TV, VCR in the bedroom (a bit dated if you ask me...I haven't used a VCR in 10 years). And typical with most hotels, we had issues with the remote controls.

Activities: Upon check-in, there is a mandatory $5/day activity fee per room. This fee includes free use of game room, mini golf, and tennis courts so it was worth the $25 for us. The arcade never seemed overly crowded but was almost always busy. A number of the games seemed to have issues but they also seemed to be corrected quickly (next day). The game room also has a small pool table and small ping ping table. Tennis rackets/ball rentals are included in the activity fee. DVD rentals are also available for an additional charge. The kids loved the mini golf (pretty basic) and there's rarely a wait.

Pool: There are 5 pools in the resort, all by the activity center: main outdoor pool (3ft deep on outside and 5ft deep in the middle), kiddie pool adjacent to main outdoor pool, adult only (over 18) pool next to main pool and mini golf, outdoor hot tub/spa, and indoor pool with same depths as main pool. Although it was crowded as certain times, we never had a problem getting 2 chaise lounges. There are NO LIFEGUARDS at the resort so you need to be mindful of the little ones. Swimmies, tubes, goggles, etc are all allowed. There is also a poolside bar but be mindful of the close times. Otherwise, you can bring NON-GLASS drinks by the pool.

Food/Dining: We were disappointed to see the on-site dining tavern is only open Fri-Mon. The only other on-site option is the pool-side bar. The food at the tavern was OK but the server was very attentive. The prices were reasonable for pub fare and drinks. Outside of the resort, there are innumerable options including Cracker Barrel, Hooters, iHop, etc.

Location: The location is great for the area attractions. Busch Gardens and Water Country are about 5 minutes away while Colonial Williamsburg is only about 5-7 minutes away.

Overall, we enjoyed the resort. Service was very friendly, rooms were clean and cool, and there were plenty of on-site and area activities to keep the family busy for the week.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms closer to pool/activities (don't ask for 3rd floor...they're farther away)
5  Thank isle96
Write a ReviewReviews (1,027)

Reviewed 18 July 2011

We rented at Wyndham Kingsgate July 9 - 15. We stayed here two years ago, and enjoyed it, so although I looked at other timeshares, we decided to stay at Kingsgate again. I'm glad we did. The resort is even better than it was! They redid the miniature golf and the game rooms as well. They added a movie theater, with somewhat current releases. Although my teen daughter and her boyfriend planned on attending some of the movies, we were always out and about doing other things, so they never made it. But the movies are free, and are shown twice a day. Between the game rooms, mini golf, movies, and tennis, there is so much to do at this resort that kids could never get bored. We requested the same unit we had two years ago, thinking that the chances of getting it were slim to none. To my surprise, Kingsgate was able to give us the exact unit (we love the location of overlooking the mini golf). We had two minor problems with our unit, once with the garbage disposal and once with the air conditioning. Both times, after calling maintenance was quick to get to the unit and fix the problem. The game rooms are much nicer in my opinion than they were 2 years ago too. I really have nothing bad to say at all. The only thing may be that the pool does get really crowded during the day and evening. They have an adult pool, which is nice, but is always empty. It would be nice to allow perhaps 16 year olds and above here (currently no minors allowed) since my older teens really did not swim that much since the pool was always crowded with hoards of little kids jumping and splashing, and they are past that. Other than this though, I can't think of a single bad thing about this resort. It is great for families!

2  Thank love_to_vacation38
Reviewed 7 July 2011

I absolutely love staying at the Wyndham Kingsgate. The service staff makes you feel welcome from the moment you walk through the doors to register for your room. The rooms are condominiums, completely furnished and decored to make you feel like you're in a home away from home. Room sizes start at studio, which can comfortably accomodate 1-2 adults and 2 children, complete with microwave, refigerator, Tv, sofabed, dining table ironing board, vacuum cleaner, etc. The amenities I enjoy most are the exercise room, four pools (one is adult only, one is indoor, ), the hot tub, and the state of the art game room. It is conveniently located near lots of eateries, Busch Garde s Theme Park, Outlets and much more. If I had a wish list to be fulfilled, I would request a late hour (at leat until 2am) adult social.

Room Tip: Visit the property and look into becoming an owner at Wyndham Kingsgate. Book in advance online for...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I just came back from Williamsburg Va. At Kingsgate this is my home resort and I loved it. MY son had a fabulous time and it was worth every pain to get there. When he smiled and told me "mom best vacation ever". I was moved to tears. I did not know exactly what it was like but heard the reviews were great!!!!!!!! and I was so pleased when I got there. Even the timeshare interview was ok. There is so much to do and see in Williamsburg and the Kingsgate is in the heart of it all. They have an arcade room that is awesome and a game room a gym an indoor pool and a movie theater. I just loved it cannot say enough about it and I wish we did not have to leave ...I will miss this place ..until next year...

2  Thank momtomatt
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Kingsgate has alot of activities the only problem is that there really crowded and you don't really get to do all of them. It is also really close to Busch Gardens and shopping centers and a great selection of resturants.

3  Thank Grizz2158
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We (me, husband, toddler, and 12 y.o. son) stayed here June 10-17. My military husband got a great deal through AFVC. All of us managed to tightly fit into a 1 bedroom apartment on the second floor. My husband, toddler, and I slept in the bedroom. It had a nice size closet, full size bed, flat screen TV, and a door to the bathroom. The bathroom housed the stackable washer/dryer combo in a closet. Our son comfortably slept on the queen size sleeper sofa in the living room; we found the sheets and such in the bedroom closet. He liked it because he was right next to the mini kitchen (growing boy) and had his own flat screen TV to watch his shows.

The resort amenities (karaoke, trivia, beer/wine tastings, etc.) kept us occupied from sunup to sundown. Movies can be rented for (I think) $2 per day or watch the free movies in the theater. There are 3 pools: an indoor, a family, and adults only. You will be charged a $5 per day resort fee, but it was worth it to us. My son was either in the pool, the 2 arcades, or playing mini golf. We didn’t eat at the resort bar and grill, but it always seemed to be bustling with action. There are a couple of tennis courts and a playground near the community center. The gym was small, but adequately served its purpose.

This location was ideal because we were only about 10-15 minutes away from Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg, and Busch Gardens. The drive was simple and hassle free each time.

We only have a couple of minor complaints. The walls are thin and unless you are used to loud people, the noises may bother you. We heard every movement from all sides. Thankfully, our neighbors usually turned in early, but they were early to rise as well. The doors automatically slam shut, so if you don’t hang on to the handle and let it gently close, well, you know. The wifi was spotty at times; more times than not we successfully accessed the Internet.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and will most likely return in the future.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Vatrahaki1
Reviewed 5 July 2011

The Good:

Very spacious suite - floor plan is similar to a two-bedroom apartment. Decor in colonial style. Two full bathrooms in suite: one located in master bedroom with shower. The other bathroom in hallway with shower/tub combo. Full kitchen with all necessary items to make your stay pleasant - we saved a lot of money by preparing foods at the suite. Queen sleeper sofa in the living room, King bed in master and queen bed in guest.

The two bedroom suite accomodated our family of 5 just perfectly. Every thing was very clean and fresh upon our check-in.

The resort grounds are lovely and nicely manicured.

Two outdoor pools (one is adult only) and one indoor pool. Workout room had a lot of equipment - we did not have time to take advantage. Two gamerooms - all arcade games are free as part of your amenity package. Also WII on the big screen. During our stay they had Karoaki and WII Guitar Hero tournaments at the pool area at night.

I would stay here again, although perhaps not during busy season as it was very crowded in the game rooms and pool areas.

Overall fantastic stay and great value for the money as compared to a "traditional hotel"

**one tip - if staying with young children please be courteous and request a bottom floor unit as you can very easily hear the people walking above - we weren't sure if a herd of elephants or children were above us - when the children ran around it was quite loud - which I didn't mind, and in fact that is why I personally requested a bottom floor unit as I did not want my two teenage children to sound like a herd of elephants to the guests below us.***

4  Thank Alexabri