“Wyndham Kingsgate”

Wyndham Kingsgate
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Second half of check-in process is a sales pitch for buying membership into the Wyndham Resort.
Stayed 4 nights/5 days.
2 of us stayed in a two bedroom/two bathroom/kitchen/living room/dining room unit. PLENTY of room with all of the usual amenities & MORE!
Wi-Fi signal low or non-existent. Complained about it & was told that I could not use Firefox or my anti-virus software. Can you believe that?!! After some research, I found out that the particular building that I was housed in DID NOT even have a wireless setup. The Resort expected my building to pick up the signal for wireless FROM AN ADJOINGING BUILDING. Everyone except one person lied to me about my perceived problem!
Ceiling fan in living room had one of its blades missing.
Good location.
Clean
Quiet
Good place to “veg out!”.
Staff nice.
Beautifully manicured landscaping.
No housekeeping services unless you pay extra.
Cannot comment on value for money spent. I used points earned in a club from my sister. I only paid $5.00/day for used/unused services.
You get the feeling that if you don’t join the Resort, that they don’t want to talk with you anymore.
Express check-out.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Michael D
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our resort location and found it a good place to relax. We are sorry to hear that your internet needs were not met. As you know we have many properties which house a large amount of guests and their wireless devices. We are working to improve this feature; however this may take some time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. In regards to housekeeping, our goal is to make each guest feel at home by providing kitchen and laundry accommodations. Because we have condo-style resorts, certain hotel amenities such as daily housekeeping do not exist. We strive to provide this information to the guest through our website, pre-arrival letter and confirmation letter. We apologize for any confusion and will work to better communicate this through additional channels in the future. We are sorry for your experience and greatly value your feedback.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Comfortable and decently appointed top floor condo unit with everything a family would need to make simple meals. I was impressed with how clean the unit was and the washer and dryer were a nice touch. Typically there are 4 units to a building (2 up and 2 down). The main door and shared hall can get loud so I would recommend requesting a top-floor unit. I called a week before our stay to put in the request and it was honored without issue. Kingsgate couldn't be more perfectly located to the sight seeing. I got a terrific deal for two nights from a Living Social offer so keep your eyes out. FYI - there is a Kmart at the top of the street in the event you forget anything (i.e., toothbrush), as we did.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ChevyChase1
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Thank you for your feedback including some helpful tips for future guests. We are glad you enjoyed the unit amenities and property location. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

I visited the Kingsgate with my wife and 3 kids and found the resort inferior to other Wyndham properties I've visited before. The walls in our unit were paper thin so we could hear everything (and even smell everything) in units to our left, right and below. Unfortunately on one side we had guests that enjoyed talking until 1 AM or so nightly and it made it hard for us to put our kids to sleep. We even had to deal with the cooking odors From our neighbors. The worst part about the stay for us was when we paid extra to have maid service in the middle of our stay. We did this because one do our kids wet his bed. Instead of bringing new sheets, they put the wet ones back on the bed. It was disgusting. I'll never go to the Kingsgate again and I suggest you look for other accommodations If you visit Williamsburg

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Phil K
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My wife and I wished to visit Williamsburg VA in December. We chose Kingsgate because it described well and looked good on the website. We were not disappointed. Our unit was immaculate and well appointed. The wife was very pleased. It turned out to be located at a five minute ride from Historical Williamsburg. This allowed us to go back and forth at our leisure. Historical Williamsburg is an historical gem. The guides live in the moment and make living history most enjoyable.

Room Tip: A one bedroom unit guarantees a balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time for providing this feedback. We appreciate your kind words and will share them with our staff. It’s so great to hear you enjoyed your unit accommodations and close location to Historical Williamsburg. We look forward to your next visit. Thanks again for reaching out.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Room building 4, room 201A was clean and comfortable. Beds were soft and comfortable. Resort staff at game room and on grounds we pleasant and helpful. Grounds were decorated for Christmas, a nice touch.
Check in was quick until we got to the "parking check in" Very pushy about coming to the sales pitch breakfast - "What are you afraid of?" Not cool. Suggested we could come after we checked out. Called the room within a few minutes of when we arrived.

Room Tip: unplug your room phone unless you need to make a call.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank virginiamuffin1
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. We are so glad you enjoyed the comfortable bedding in your unit and our Christmas decorations around the property. We apologize for any negative encounters at check-in as this is not part of the Count On Me service we strive to provide our guests. Please rest assured that we will be taking action to ensure that this is not an issue for future guests. We look forward to your next visit. Again, thanks for taking the time to reach out and happy holidays!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We are Wyndham owners and had some points to use by the end of the year, so thought a return visit to Williamsburg would be a good getaway. We've stayed at Governor's Green in the past and loved it, but Kingsgate equals that resort in every way. We were in Building 4, which has recently been updated. Granite countertops, new appliances, huge master bedroom shower - everything was great. Our 3 bedroom lock-off gave our family of 5 plenty of room.
The arcade was a big hit with our daughters, as was the presentation on Monday night of "Tales of History" in the Kings Cinema. Although we didn't partake, we were very pleased to note there were movies shown daily in the cinema, located right near the activity center. Speaking of the activity center, our only complaint was with the staff there. They were not very friendly and we were made to feel that they were doing us a favor by waiting on us. I was very surprised since typically Wyndham employees are extremely outgoing and helpful.

Watch out for the people you have to see for your parking pass. I was exhausted after a nine hour drive and just wanted to get checked in to our unit and relax. My husband and I had previously discussed that since we were only going to be in Williamsburg for a few days, we would forego the spiel. They would not take no for an answer and kept repeating that they promised the presentation would take only 45 minutes, that there was a new program that we had to hear about, and what time should they put us down for? I finally had to just walk away from the counter and leave my husband to pick up the pass.

This resort is centrally located near Colonial Williamsburg, shopping, and restaurants. All in all, a great experience. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The lower numbered buildings (1-10) are much closer to the activity center.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Debrear
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your kind words and will share them with our staff. We are glad you enjoyed the unit amenities and resort activities for the family. We apologize for any dissatisfaction with our staff and your feedback will help us to make necessary improvements. We hope you come back to visit.

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

The service was great. Room was clean. I think they can update the TVs, Carpet and furniture. The light is very dull. The location is very near the outlet and places to eat. Don't get me wrong the place is clean and I will stay there again but I think it is just time for a change

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Shortcake079
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We appreciate your kind words and will share them with our staff. It’s great to hear you enjoyed your clean unit and the resort location. We appreciate your suggestions regarding unit updates, as we are always looking for ways to improve. We look forward to your next visit.