“Not a true 2 bdrm place to stay.”
Review of Wyndham Kingsgate

Wyndham Kingsgate
Ranked #27 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The 2nd bedroom is okay for 1 person or 2 small children but not adults. It is extremely small. The main bedroom is nice. The icemaker didn't work. They had tankless water heater. It takes a long time to get hot water. Its okay to stay at but will not be my 1st choice again

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Condo-ly
Write a ReviewReviews (1,027)

Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband, 11 year old daughter and her friend arrived on April 18, 2014 at approximately 12:30PM. We figured that because we were so much earlier than the 4PM check in that we would do the paperwork, go shopping, and come back later for our room key. Upon entering the reception area there was a short wait as they were having some difficulty with the computers. We were checked in within 10 minutes and then the concierge gave us a folder with restaurant brochures and then the offer to get the extra points and the breakfast sell came. They definitely attempted to be persuasive a little pushy, but not as bad as I was prepared for. They accepted the no and we happily went on our way to building 18-202A. There was no problem with parking and there was a beautiful waterfall, gazebo and grill outside out building and pic-nic tables in the back. Upon entering the building we immediately saw a huge bundle or dirty linens and towels in the corner near the stairs (not the best first impression). Luckily we had requested a 2nd floor unit and received it. Upon entering our unit we were pleasantly met with a remodeled unit which was very nice but appeared larger in the pictures. Unit appeared clean with the exception of the balcony furniture which had a thick layer of pollen which appeared to have been there for some time (I called and Juanelle came and cleaned it and did a great job). We did have a balcony view of the recycling dumpster. There was also dried toothpaste on the wall in the bathroom in the master bedroom. We unloaded our luggage and went to Walmart for groceries which was just minutes away, had dinner at Chik-fil-a on the way. Upon returning 4 hours later we were still met with the dirty laundry as well as a bag of garbage in the hall way (could blame the garbage on nasty neighbors who were too lazy to take their garbage just outside the door to the garbage can). I called and left a message for housekeeping about the garbage. The garbage was gone the next morning when we left to go to Colonial Williamsburg, however wrappers, aluminum foil and such were scattered on the first floor and remained their for the duration of our 7 day stay. The girls really enjoyed the game room. They also went to the Easter Basket Hunt, the pool and the bear creation ($15). At the resort my husband and I attended bingo, a John Rollison presentation and I attended Yoga on both occasions offered and was really impressed by the instructor. She was very detailed and explained every movement and how it remedies specific health conditions. I would go to her class regularly if I was local. I had no problem with the hot water, I turned th shower on while I brushed my teeth at the sink and the water was hot by the time I got into the shower. All in all, the resort was great as far as activities and is very child friendly. We would have had plenty to do at the resort if we had opted out of the area attractions such as Busch Gardens and Ripley's Believe it or Not. The resort can definitely afford to tighten up with the thoroughness of the cleaning of the common spaces but this was not a deal breaker. The resort is also close to EVERYTHING such as restaurants, convenience stores and no more than five minutes from most of the major attractions. I would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Top floor if possible. First floor door slams when people come & go. Sound proofing was not go...
3  Thank Kim P
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We had the pleasure of staying here with extended family. There were 12 of us. The staff was very accommodating, putting us in rooms one above the other. The amenities were plentiful. Everything was clean and taken care of. The location was close to all of our outings. We would definitely recommend it and would come back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Hugh B, Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Reena,

We are so disappointed to hear that your interaction with our resort staff did not meet your expectations, and that the cleanliness of our arcade did not meet your standard. This is not a good example of the Count On Me service which we are know for at Wyndham.

It is imperative that our guests are treated well and we can assure you that we will be taking action to ensure that this is not an issue for future guests. Again, thanks for taking the time to reach out.

Hugh Bischoff
Assistant Resort Manager
hugh.bischoff@wyn.com

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Kingsgate seems to have gone downhill lately. I have heard tourism is down in Williamsburg so perhaps this is why the upkeep is not so hot. I stayed here five years ago and it was beautiful. This recent Easter visit I rented a two bedroom, two bath with a very small kitchen overlooking a pond with a fountain. Check in was brutal. After driving for five hours, we just want to unload our things and unwind. There was a horrendous long line and I was disgusted to see the hold up wasn't in taking deposits or charging the daily activity fee (ridiculous for things nobody uses) but in giving the timeshare spiel- seriously??!! Then we were put on the second floor of a three story so when our third floor neighbors awoke at 7 am so did we- uggh. I can't be mad at them because obviously there is just no soundproofing here. During the day I could hear my next door neighbors having a yelling match- oh the joys of vacation. Then in the unit I can see upgrades have been done such as new granite in the kitchen, yet then the sliding door handle to our balcony was just literally falling off. I thought this was why timeshare owners are charged maintenance fees but okay. I did enjoy having a king bed in the master and it was on the firm side but not uncomfortable. Parking is obnoxious. It would be nice to have one designated spot for each unit so you don't end up parking two blocks away loading and unloading your car. The unit was clean but just reeked of ammonia which if you are not familiar with that smell- think cat urine. All in all it was nice to have a two bedroom with a balcony to the pond but a lot of annoying details make it just an "eh" visit.

Room Tip: Make sure you are on the very top floor unless you want to wake to the sound of stomping feet over y...
2  Thank Beachykeen777
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Our family of 5 spent 4 nights in these very nice condos. It was a very convenient location. It was well appointed.
I agree with previous posts that state the noise can be a factor. You hear everything, even doors closing in other areas. We were all asleep in our beds, and we got a pounding on the door from someone below yelling "Keep it down"...it wasn't us, but I could hear the noises he was hearing..so that was a bit dismaying, but that was the only negative I can report about this place. My kids loved the arcade (games were free). Staff was friendly, and we did not get any big sales pitch, like I had read with others. They did ask on check-in, but we politely refused, and heard nothing else during our stay.
We have already recommended this to family and they will be going in the fall. We got a nice price for a 2 bedroom unit by doing some searching around on google.

Room Tip: I would say to try for a top floor
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Now that we've figured out the credit system we've used three properties on this year's maintenance fees. It costs credits and an exchange fee that comes down to a very fair price for a sweet apartment for a week. We attended their RCI Informational seminar and got two three day passes to Colonial Williamsburg in exchange. The unit was great! Large living room with dining room furniture. The smaller dishwasher actually held more that most. Plenty of kitchen tools, pans, bowls, really well equipped. The bedroom was nice, with doors into the bathroom from living room and bedroom. The washer and dryer were valuable! Really close to everything. Great week!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2014

A very nice clean property that looks more expensive then it is. Clean, well decorated rooms with all of the comforts of home. Friendly staff as well. The only serious fault I can find is that when you stay in a lower level room, every footstep from the people above you can be heard very loudly through the ceiling. My advise is to get an upper level room and be mindful of the guests below you. The game room and pool area maintenance was falling behind most likely from the amount of use it gets. However, I really didn't mind, we didn't visit Williamsburg to play video games or stand in a pool. Overall, very nice and we will return for a third visit!

Room Tip: Try to get an upper level room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank luv2travel1959
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide this review. We appreciate your kind words regarding the unit amenities and friendly staff. We also appreciate your feedback in regards to the game room, as we are always looking for ways to improve. Again, thank you for reaching out and we look forward to your next visit.