“Nice overall”

GreenLeadersSilver level
ohio
“Nice overall”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed here last week on an RCI exchange. Resort is conveniently located to attractions and restaurants. Our renovated two bedroom unit was well equipped, including plenty of towels and dishes. Some of the workmanship was sloppy - paint on doorknobs, shower tiles not lined up etc. Appreciated having a TV in both bedrooms. Wifi reception was weak and only picked up in the master bedroom. The unit was fairly clean, but I did find an old tv remote under the bed and an old sock in the bottom of the closet. Often heard doors and cabinet doors slamming from neighbors. Noticed that the security peephole on door was much to high to be used by anyone under 5'5" or so.

Staff members were pleasant. Many activities available, but often crowded. The resort has a security gate, but the key cards do not work and the guard lets you in. One day our GPS directed us to the back entrance of the resort where we found the gate open, presumably since there was no guard to let guests in. That said, I did not feel unsafe here. As others have mentioned, many units do not have even one parking spot per unit and you must walk a bit further. The common hallway areas did not get much cleaning as we noticed what looked like a pile of shredded up toilet paper on the steps for at least four days.

Now for the big downer... the dreaded parking pass. I had been warned here and was prepared, but it still took at least three refusals and the requirement of answering why I would not want to receive a free gift to attend what they said was NOT a sales presentation. I finally told the gentleman that I had read about this in tripadvisor and was not interested. The man at the next desk said that tripadvisor was not always right, to which I responded that the information I read about check in was 100% correct thus far and it was time to move on.

2 Thank TC13
Richard W, General Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear TC13,

Thank you for the detailed feedback following your recent stay. This will help us identify areas where we can improve. I am glad that you felt the resort was nice overall but apologize for the shortcomings you experienced. Due to the nature of the items you pointed out it would be helpful for us to be able to identify your unit number from your stay. If you have a chance to e-mail hugh.bischoff@wyn.com we would be appreciative.

Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We just returned from a fantastic trip to Williamsburg. After much research, we decided to stay at the Kingsgate and got a great offer on Groupon. We booked a 2 bedroom unit. A few days before my visit I called and requested a renovated unit. Upon arrival check-in was easy. When I checked in I again requested a renovated unit and they indicated that I did in fact have one. I was also told that they are finishing the unit renovations and that all remaining "older" units should be renovated by April 2015. After check-in I was sent to another desk to get my parking pass. Based upon other reviews, I anticipated that this is where the time-share sales pitch would occur. They asked if I was interested in discounts in the area and gave me a form to fill out which included household income information. I politely indicated that I wasn't comfortable providing that type of information and although the person seemed annoyed, she did not pressure me, she gave me my parking pass and sent us on our way.

Our unit (building 8, 102A) was perfect. Very clean, spacious, comfortable beds, lots of towels, etc. Kitchen was fully stocked with pots, pans, knives, plates, etc… Was pleasantly surprised that they supplied laundry detergent, dish soap, shampoo, etc… The amenities were very nice too. Especially the game/arcade room where there are lots of video games, air hockey, pool, etc.. that the kids can play for free. Only downside that I can think of is that we didn't get wifi in the room, but you could get it in the common areas.

Location was perfect. Just a short drive to Busch Gardens, Water Country USA or Colonial Williamsburg. Also very close to lots of family friendly restaurants (try the Fat Tuna restuarant-it was great).

2 Thank JC00002014
Richard W, General Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear JC00002014,

Thank you so much for your review. We are happy to hear that you had a great time and will share your comments with our great staff. See you again soon!

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I have no major complaints about Kingsgate, but it is certainly not one of my favorite places either. The room was clean, the people were friendly, it's a pretty good location and I like the resort amenities offered. We stayed too busy to really get to experience all the resort had to offer however, so I can't say too much on the amenities.

Now on to my complaints, for starters, we did not have a coffee maker in our room, but that was minor and they fixed it later that day. My second complaint is the water, it takes a really really REALLY long time to warm up and there wasn't much in the way of water pressure either.

My third complaint is the amount of counter space, there isn't room to put anything. They don't even have the space to store the things they offer in the kitchen, some of it is stacked on top of the refrigerator. Also the sink is so tiny, how they expect you to wash a pot in there I have no idea, good thing we mostly ate out. And don't expect to bake anything if you have a one bedroom, because there is no real oven, only a convection microwave.

My next complaint is the lack of sidewalks, there are almost no sidewalks and it's a little scary with young children. Then my final complaint is not having a balcony, I wish I had known that one bedrooms do not have balconies. If we had known all of this, we would not have booked here or at least got a two bedroom. But, we didn't know until we were checking in and there was no possibility of an upgrade, we tried.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MommyJenRiley
Dear MommyJenRiley ,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay. I am sorry your stay was not as great as you rightly expected. We will work on the items that you mentioned (we are already working on the hot water issue) and sincerely appreciate the feedback.

We hope one day you will give us a try again.

Monterey, California
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I traveled here with friends in early June and I was mostly disappointed to find that the resort was not walking distance to Colonial Williamsburg and was just off of a busy commercial strip. That said, I thought the activities were really fun, and if you do stay here, I would recommend coming for at least a week so that you can go see Jamestown and Williamsburg but also get a lot of time to just relax and have fun around the resort (mini golf, three pools, tennis courts, games rooms, movie nights, karaoke, etc.). I will note that while we were all in our mid-twenties, the general population seemed to be younger families or older couples, so if you're not into children or older folks, this is probably not the right spot for you. As far as the suite itself, it was quite spacious but did not have a lot of light. Kitchen had everything you might need (except for the actual food), TVs were available in the family room and in both bedrooms, bathrooms were nice, A/C felt nice, etc. It did have a funny smell to it, though, and our shower had some mold in it (and was leaking when we arrived--but the maintenance men came by very quickly to fix that so kudos to good service). We didn't eat at the resort, so I can't speak to that, but the service was very good.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify if you would like to be nearby the tennis courts and pool or if you would like...
Green Features: Didn't notice, honestly. I don't really remember seeing anything about this. The hotel does not wash your towels, sheets everyday but I thought that was more for convenience than the environment.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear LER627,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at Kingsgate. I was glad to hear the positive parts of your stay but sorry that you had an odor and cleanliness issue. Rest assured these items will be addressed so we can ensure future guests do not have the same issue.

We hope to see you back here again one day.

boston
Reviewed 6 August 2014

On our recent visit to the area, we stayed at the Wyndham Kingsgate resort. It is located just minutes for CW, Water Country and Busch Garden...perfect location! Check-in was quick and easy. We actually were updated to a unit closer to all the amenities (had lots of amenities and we didn’t even scratch the surface as our time was taken up with the various sites and parks in the area). Resort was quite large, a gated community. The landscaping was lovely and our unit was a one bedroom that was newly remodeled in colonial fashion. It was appointed quite nicely. There were indoor and outdoor pools, miniature golf, activities center, nightly movies, tennis courts, etc. Our unit backed up to a wooded area. We were on the second floor and never had any issues with noise from above or below (doors slaming, etc.). It was peaceful and quite. We had no issues with anything broken or out of order. Daryl at the front desk was pleasant and accommodating: helping me with directions on several occassion (I could get lost in a paper bag). We were asked to tour the premises upon checking in but we refused kindly and we were never bothered by this request again. I'd encourage anyone who wanted a very centrally located, lovely condo to stay in while visiting the area to book here. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a building close to the amenities as some units are quite far away.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Richard W, General Manager at Wyndham Kingsgate, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear nala22,

Thank you for your great comments which I will share with the team (and Daryl) and we hope to see you again soon at Kingsgate!

Richard Walter
Rockford Mi
Reviewed 6 August 2014

If you have kids and love crowds, then this place is for you. My husband and I stayed here in July 2014. The pool was so crowded ALL THE TIME that we never got to enjoy it. There is an indoor pool that is right next to the outdoor pool, and there is an Adult Only pool. I loved that idea, but that pool was just as crowded. For a resort of this size, they need multiple pools. We had a one bedroom room with a partial kitchen. The size was perfect for us two. If our children were with us, it would have been crowded. The queen bed felt more like a double. My husband had to sleep on the pull out couch. The water has a natural gas smell to it.. perhaps because of the tankless water heaters they use. It takes forever for the water to get hot... then during the shower it goes cold for about 2 minutes, then the water gets hot again. The room was clean. I wouldn't stay here again simply because of the crowd issue they have at the pool. I was really hoping for a relaxing vacation by the pool.

The doors to the condo room and the building are heavy and the slam shut. You can hear when others come and go. When others are cooking, the smell of their food fills your condo.

We rented a John Boat went fishing at the Waller Mill Reservoir which is only 5 minutes away.

We spend 2 days at Virginia Beach. If the traffic wasn't so heavy going there and back, we would have spent the whole week there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kristy M
Dear Kristy M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for letting us know about where your stay could have been better. This gives us a chance to check these items and improve the resort. I am sorry that your stay was not perfect in every way.

I appreciate the feedback and hope you will return one day.

New Jersey
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My family stayed here twice this summer. We are owners, and we wanted to utilize the kid-friendly activities here. Since we have season passes to the parks, we wanted to take advantage of them, and the kids love Williamsburg.

The units here are OK. The bathrooms are pretty small, and the hot water can be a problem, but not terrible. It is a bit old and dated. Both times we came (and we had different units each time), the unit was clean, but debris was left in the foyer for days in both instances - linens, placemats, bowls. The first time we came was in July, and I agree wholeheartedly with other reviewers that at least one parking spot outside of each building should be reserved for people in the building. In July, we couldn't park anywhere near our building even though there were enough spots for each unit to have one. For this stay, there was a lot of parking outside of our unit - lots more than the number of units, so parking was not an issue. When you have to unload, parking matters!

The pools were crowded, and it would have been nice to have someone overseeing things at times as it could get unruly. The game room had so many people in it and so many games not functioning that I was a little disappointed that we selected to come here over Governor's Green because of the activities. Governor's Green is so much nicer, and the activities at Kingsgate were not all they were cracked up to be even though there is a mandatory fee for them. We know better for next time.

The biggest negative here, of course, is the "parking pass" people. They try to get you to a sales meeting - disguised as a survey or breakfast. I know not to go, but BOTH times I have been here, more than one sales person has lied and told me that I need to sign up for Club Pass. In both instances, I had to tell them to check out Wyndham's website as it clearly states that resale owners (which I am) cannot use Club Pass. Perhaps, technically, I can sign up, but if I can't use it, why on earth would I want to sign up? I really resent this kind of trickery, and resent it even more when I have already declined at the parking desk and continue to get phone calls that interrupt my vacation to continue with the same lies and pressure. This, however, is NOT unique to Kingsgate and is not why I give a 3 star rating. If I included the sales pressure in my ratings, they would be lower! Many of the Wyndham resorts have this same high pressure.

Room Tip: If you have kids, try to get lower units. If you don't, try to get higher units. NO ELEVATORS...
Green Features: I am not sure how the environmentally friendly hot water heaters are useful since they take so much longer to heat up the water. I feel like I am wasting water to take a shower.
2 Thank marybelle07
Dear marybelle07,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. My apologies that you encountered issues during your stay and please be rest assured these will be addressed and focused upon here at the property and at the Sales Center. Your vacation experience should be trouble free and relaxing - I regret we were unable to make it perfect.

We hope you will be willing to try us again.