“Mixed bag.”

The Historic Powhatan Resort
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I received a renovated 2 room upstairs condo by the woods. Condo very nice with modern TV and deck. TV channels selection was adequate. Internet was a pain in the butt. Had to subscribe via third party and it was slow. This is not really close to anything, but not real far either. Just expect a drive for any real needs.

If your a small family looking to not break the bank eating out etc this is perfect. Full kitchen keeps you sorted out and the two bedrooms and living room allow for some privacy. If your a single like I was this trip, or even a couple looking to go and enjoy the area, better locations are out there.

It was a bit galling to watch some overweight guy in french cuffs on the tv talking about all the great service solutions he has brainstormed for Diamond Resorts while waiting for my internet connection to load a page...really, this is 2013 right?

If I did not get a crazy Hotwire price, I would be unhappy overall.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a renovated 2 room suite.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,135)

Reviewed 27 March 2013

We could only stay for a night, and after seeing the condo and the resort area we wanted to stay longer. The price was wonderful for the 2 bedroom condo, and it was so much nicer staying in a condo with a living room and full kitchen instead
of in a room with 2 beds at a surrounding Hotel. We heard the food was great in the resort and next time when we stay we
plan on eating there too. Also the staff are extremely nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Not a bad room anywhere. The back of the condo that we stayed at had a beautiful view of the lake, w...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Ter72
Reviewed 26 March 2013

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at the Historic Powhatan Resort while attending a conference in March 2013. I've stayed here in the past and had reserved a one bedroom/one bath unit. This trip, I decided to upgrade to a 2 bedroom/2 bath unit that included a full kitchen, dining room, fireplace and a little extra space overall.

Upon check-in, the receptionist had my reservation wrong, stating that I had booked a one bed/one bath unit. I had my confirmation email with me that showed what I had paid for. After she met with her supervisor to discuss this mix-up, I was finally welcomed and given a key. I was then told to go to the second desk area across the lobby to receive my "welcome packet". This just means, "they want to talk you into a timeshare presentation" so I declined my visit to the 2nd desk and went on to my unit to unpack.

I had asked for a "quiet, upstairs unit" and the way this property is set up, you have one door to unlock, before you are presented with 2 more doors that lead to 2 units (one upstairs and one downstairs). My unit was upstairs as requested, but upon unlocking the 1st door, I heard nothing but screaming and cackling from 2 women within the downstairs unit. Thank goodness things weren't as loud upstairs, but we could still hear them from time to time, which was annoying. This resort had tons of empty units, so why couldn't they have assigned a unit to me that was a little more private and had no one right under me? This just seems to be my luck most of the time.

The unit was well maintained. It was clean and contained one bedroom with a king bed and a smaller bedroom with a queen bed. Both had ensuite bathrooms which were quite big and offered plenty of space. The dining area and kitchen were well equipped and comfortable. The living room with the fireplace was nice, but they provided no wood. We had a nice balcony off the living room which overlooked a large pond/lake that had a swan and lots of geese. There was patio furniture on the balcony which was a nice respite for a glass of wine at the end of my busy day.

One downside is that you have to pay for WiFi. In this day and age, it's pretty ridiculous. Another downside is that they have been renovating the indoor pool for months now, so no relaxing swim for us. The fitness center was fine - so no problem there.

Other than the noise and a couple of other small issues, this resort is in a good location (near some shopping/restaurants, etc) and seems to be well maintained overall in comparison to my last stay in a one bedroom/one bath. There are a couple of restaurants on site. One is the Kitchen which apparently has very nice food, but they weren't open during our stay. The other dining option is called the Powhatan Grill and Bar and the food there was really good (pleasant surprise!). Prices were good too.

We would stay here again, but next time, I will insist for more privacy if there are lots of empty units again.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated unit. Some of the units that are not renovated are terrible!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Leo35
Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

We had a three bedroom condo that was very spacious. You could easily fit 8 people with room to spare. The check-in experience was terrible. We were in line waiting for someone behind the counter but were carted off to a separate room. Here is where they asked us to schedule a time to view there tour. We said no, we're faked why and then treated very rudely. The person did not even tell us how to get to our condo, have us the keys and never said thanks or anything. Got to the room and there was a nice jacuzzi there, without water in it. Called to see what was up and I guess they decided to remove jacuzzis and would not allow anyone to use the ones that were still there - fail. Did receive multiple calls on successive days to schedule a two hour tour.

The condo was clean and roomy. A new flat screen was in the living area, but 13 inch tvs in the bedrooms. All kitchen items worked. We were there during the snow the past few days and it was a relief to have the kitchen and a DVD player. Virginians are not the best drivers in the snow.

I might stay here again, but I'd look elsewhere first because of their inability to leave you alone and not treat you well at check-in.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank grovetucky
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We stayed here for a shopping girl's weekend. We stayed in an upstairs unit with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I was very impressed with the unit. I think we were in a renovated unit because there was a couch and flat screen TV in the living room and it had a full kitchen with pretty nice appliances and cookware. Since it was a girl's weekend we easily opted out of the timeshare presentation since our husbands weren't there to participate. We both really enjoyed our stay and plan on returning soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank amusaint
Reviewed 22 March 2013

DO NOT TRUST DIAMOND RESORTS! We stayed here after reserving a beautiful room online with granite counter tops, fireplace, full kitchen, and beautiful furnishings. But, once we got there we were put in a older style room with formica counter tops, NO full kitchen rather a buson burner petruding from the formica counter top and of course NO stove. The balcony had no table and no chairs and the sliding glass door did not lock. The furniture looked from the style and age to be about 30 years old, which was of course was NOTHING like the online photos. Everyday there was a persisting phone calls to join a timeshare presentation that day EVEN THOUGH we told them no at check-in, and the next day, and the next day, etc. They are annoying and relentless daily. The infomercial running on the TV in the room has the CEO Steven J Coobeck running off at the mouth of how great he is and how much he VALUES EACH AND EVERY GUESTS AS #1 PRIORITY. Boy, was I mistaken on believing what I was hearing on this infomercial as he states "It's ballsie of me to put out my personal email but I want to hear from you if you have any comments or concerns"-
DO NOT BELIEVE THIS HYPOCRITICAL ENTRAPPING INVITATION:-(
Once you voice your concerns and comments of any negative nature you are met with EXTREME CONSEQUENCES that make the remainder of your stay a nightmare of a living hell!!
It is hard to believe that a man who is a CEO making millions of dollars can be so inmature and vindictive over one guest's comments. I guess when you are so absorbed in your pride and arrogance you are blinded by the collateral damge you cause to others who are only trying to help you improve your quality product and services:-(

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Preston B
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Bought a groupon. Went to celebrate birthday and anniversary and daughter studying American Girl - Felicity, who was from Williamsburg. We were upgraded to a two bedroom! Everything was nice. Check-in was easy.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family