“Perfect stay”

The Historic Powhatan Resort
Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 25 January 2009

We stayed in a two bedroom unit here for the Presidential Inauguration. My wife, two kids and mother-in-law were in the room and it worked out perfectly. We had a downstairs unit with a king bed in the master and two twin beds in the second bedroom. The room appeared to have been recently remodeled. Everything was new. The beds and linens were some of the most comfortable I've seen in a hotel/timeshare. The washer and dryer were new and worked great. We picked up food from a nearby store and ate breakfast in the room everyday using the kitchen. The room has it's own spa off the rear patio, but we did not have time to use it. I did take my son to the indor pool once. I used the two spas attached to the pool. I could not have been happier with the room and the property. The only complaint we had was that the heater/ac unit was right outside the master bedroom and was noisy and there was no television in the second bedroom for the mother-in-law. There are only televisions in the master and living room. The resort is 2 1/2 hours form D.C. so we did some driving for the events in D.C. Historic Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown are only minutes away. I will diffenitely return here again and would recommend it to my friends and family.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank walkondirt

Reviewed 16 January 2009

We needed a place with enough room for 5 people to sleep comfortably and the condo at the Powhatan seemed to be a good option. We had an upstairs condo and it was clean and well-kept. The place itself was difficult to find and we are frequent visitors to Williamsburg. It was a bit out of the way for visiting Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. They seemed to have activities for families, but we stayed only one night.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank MoonliteMaven
Reviewed 14 January 2009

My husband and I joined our parents at Historic Powhattan Resort over the week after Christmas. They had traded a timeshare week. The location is fantastic! Though it isn't within walking distance to any of the local attractions, everything is within reasonable driving distance. Driving to both Jamestown and Williamsburg was easy It is also easy to hop onto 60 to go to Richmond or Yorktown. It was great to spend the morning out enjoying the attractions and come home for a homemade lunch before heading out again.

However, there were a number of reasons that I wouldn't recommend this resort. Mainly, it is because you do not get what you pay for.

First impression: The lobby is very swanky and quite over the top, while the actual service is lousy. For instance, after explaining that we wanted two rooms for two couples, we got to our room to find one room with a king sized bed and one with two single beds. We called about the beds and they wouldn't move us. Also, upon opening the door, we saw the the unit was not cleaned well. There was actual dirt and leaves in the foyer. What you pay for a week doesn't include cleaning at any point during your stay.

Our unit was worn and far from clean. The couch was old and saggy. I hesitated to sit on the carpeting because it was worn and looked filthy. The vacuum cleaner stored in our unit did not work well, either. The hot tub went unused because it was also outworn and smelled horribly of mold. My mother suffers from mold allergies and stayed away from this end of the unit.

We also called to learn about an orientation session. After being transferred from the activities number to the front desk and back, I was told, "to tell you the truth, we don't really do that here." In the morning, we came to learn that we'd actually missed the orientation, it had wrapped up 10 minutes before we'd gone to the main office for other reasons. This being our first visit to the area, I was very disappointed to miss learning about the resort and local activities.

We also asked the concierge how long it would take to drive to Monticello and she advised us to mapquest it on the computers.
There was a wi-fi fee of $40 a week for guests. They had only two outdated computers for guests to share, with a 30 min time limit. If only 2 people were ahead of you in line, you would wait for an hour! The line was often longer. When someone is paying to stay at a nice resort, I think it is rude to ask guests to pay a high connection fee. $40 is what one expects to pay for a month of cable service at home!

All in all, if you just need a place to park and sleep at night and have money (or timeshare time) to burn, you'll find this a wonderful jumping off point to the many local attractions. However, if this is a splurge for you (which it was for us) it may not meet your expectations. We are hard to please people, and if I was paying less per night, I wouldn't complain, but at this price, I just can't recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank AntsInMyPantsDE
Reviewed 16 December 2008

We stayed in the upstairs 2 bedroom 2 bath condo and it was great! It was one of the renovated rooms. The master bedroom had access to the master bath that was very spacious. The second bedroom had its own full bath too. The kitchen was fully stocked with pots/pans, utensils, coffee maker, etc.... The living and dining areas we also comfortable and spacious. The grounds of Powhatan were lovely and nice to walk/run around. There were plenty of things to keep children occupied from the indoor swimming pool, mini golf, playground, gameroom, and other activities that the resort sets up. The staff was friendly and helpful with directions and did not push the timeshare meeting.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank mscar1024
Reviewed 3 December 2008

After paying what seems like a premium price, I expected a nice experience. The refrigerator was broken, the screen door was broken and the wrong one was used to replace it, light in the bedroom was broken, 2nd bedroom had one very small dresser, and very little storage so our suitcases had to remain on the floor for us to live out of; this and more was wrong. When I spoke to the head of maintenance and the resort manager, I got the same excuse: Diamond Resorts had bought the property just a year ago and the previous owners did not keep the place up. The head of maintenance fixed what he could, but said he could not fix everything. I was offered nothing in compensation, but I was asked, repeatedly, to attend their sales seminar. Did they really think I would be a buyer?

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zysyx
Reviewed 28 November 2008

We stayed the week at Powhattan. The location is perfect for exploring Jamestown, Williamsburg, and Yorktown. We did drive to DC two days. It is about a three hour drive. I requested a refurbished room and it was very nice. Very clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly- from the guard at the gatehouse to the people checking you in. I would recommend the resort.

• Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank explorer1421
Reviewed 25 November 2008

Nov 10th thru 24th 2008
WWeenie Tripadvisor member.
Staying at the Historic Powhattan Resort ( the name change Diamond Resorts made degraded the Historic name Powhattan Plantation ) is like coming home.
We have been staying here since 1990 and always find this Time Share to be as charming as when we first visited it.
Over the years we have seen it deteriorate due to lack of maintenance due to many things but it probably goes to the top where money is allocated.
The management has always seemed to do the best they could with what they had to work with.
The refurbishing they have done in the last 3 years have improved things a lot and hopefully it will continue rapidly.
This last stay was a much needed 14 day R&R for my wife and I and it was just that.
We had for the most part sunny days and chilly nights.
We had a refurbished 2 bedroom downstairs unit, with a hot tub & fireplace,we used both.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple