“True walking distance to Colonial Williamsburbb”

Bluegreen Vacations Patrick Henry Sqr, Ascend Resort Collection
Ranked #32 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Nice quiet, convenient location with attractive accommodations. Well informed front desk and lots of discount coupons, too. We had a partial kitchen which was well appointed. It's always healthy to have the option of "home-cooking" while on vacation.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1sailor
BluegreenCares, Manager at Bluegreen Vacations Patrick Henry Sqr, Ascend Resort Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Hello 1sailor,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Patrick Henry Square. We are delighted you enjoyed the convenient location and attractive accommodations. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Williamsburg.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here while visiting Williamsburg, Va. This was our first time at a BlueGreen resort. At check-in we agreed to go to the presentation to get free tickets for Colonial Williamsburg. As usual the 90 minute presentation lasted about 3 hours, we didn't buy anything but got our three day pass vouchers. Everybody should decide if the 3+ hours of their time is worth the free tickets. The rooms were very comfortable, we had a one bedroom. It included a living room with partial kitchen, bedroom and den/office room. All had a flat screen TV. WiFi was included at no charge although it was a little slow at times. We would definitely come back but not do the presentation.

Room Tip: There is a train on east side of the building. The noise didn't bother us but some may find in a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank gringobill
BluegreenCares, Manager at Bluegreen Vacations Patrick Henry Sqr, Ascend Resort Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Hello gringobill,

Thank you for staying with us at Patrick Henry Square and sharing your experience. We are glad you enjoyed your first visit to a Bluegreen resort and found the accommodations very comfortable. We look forward to welcoming you back to Williamsburg or sharing happiness with you at another Bluegreen resort.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We just spent a week here in a studio room. It was wonderful. The room was larger than we expected. The bed was comfy. We were close enough to Colonial Williamsburg to walk, altho, it took us a few days to figure that out. The staff was very friendly. We would go back again. The only down side was the game room. Everything cost money. At other Bluegreen resorts we have stayed at, the game room did not cost any money.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank deblynnemoore
BluegreenCares, Manager at Bluegreen Vacations Patrick Henry Sqr, Ascend Resort Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Hello deblynnemoore,

Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent stay at Patrick Henry Square. We are happy you enjoyed the location and found the accommodations spacious and comfortable. We appreciate your compliments regarding the staff as we aim to share happiness with all of our owners and guests. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Williamsburg.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

I was invited to spend 6 nights here by my friend (a Bluegreen owner), so she and I left our husbands at home (and I brought my two teenagers along). I had been two years ago with her, so was familiar with the place. I was unsure if our stay would be as nice, as the adjacent Patrick Henry Inn is closed (for renovations they say, but I see no work at all being done on it).
We got a two bedroom unit on the top floor, which was a tad smaller than the one we had previously. Still, it worked out great for us! Since I have teens (who eat more than I do), I had brought plastic storage bins with most food we'd want (plus a couple coolers with drinks, sandwich fixings, condiments, soy milk, frozen marinated meat to grill, etc...). It worked out for us to leave the bins lined up along the entryway (since we had brought so much).
Like the previous travelers have said, the master has a king bed (my daughter and I shared that one) which is very comfortable. The other bedroom had a queen (my friend took that one), and there was a sofa sleeper in the living room. We opted to bring a twin aerobed for my son to use there instead, as the sofa sleeper would have taken so much space in the small living room otherwise. I put a flat sheet under it to keep the area clean!
The kitchen had all we needed (except I brought along a rice cooker, as I had also brought along frozen chicken marinating in terriyaki sauce - made a nice dinner!). Also, we made chicken nuggets once for the kids, and the housekeeping brought us a cookie sheet (so we could do them in the convection oven).
One change since our last stay is that the grill out back that was propane has been replaced with two charcoal grills. We used them twice, but I didn't see anyone else using them. I find charcoal a bother, so had bought (from Amazon) some Bic Flame Disk disposable cooking things - and was so glad I did! It was so easy to just place them into the grill (two fit if you're cooking for a group), light them, then wait just five minutes or so and you're good to go! We made bratwurst one day, then the next day our chicken. I also brought along nonstick cooking spray to use first on the grill.
Honestly, in the week we were there, we only ate out one meal (lunch in Colonial Williamsburg, which was just okay, but a nice break). No, we're not super cheap, just it was relaxing to go out and either bring a picnic to the water park (they have a nice picnic pavilion there) or come back for lunch and then dinner (the kids were tired after all the running around, and so were we!).
The location of this place cannot be beat! We walked to Colonial Williamsburg. Maybe 2.5 miles was how far it was to drive to Busch Gardens - just exit taking a left and you're there in five minutes! Water Country was just a bit further.
The employees at this place were all super helpful! I personally own at a Marriott timeshare, and find the housekeeping service at this place definitely rivals them. It's nice that if you have a pile of used towels, you can just leave them outside your room in the laundry basket, and within a couple hours, they will drop off clean (and fluffy) ones. The toiletries were nice too.
I do wish that you could open a window, which would especially be nice when cooking. This is one reason grilling is a good option - we made some simple side dishes or steamed rice (not smelly) and did the messy cooking outdoors! I am a clean freak, so did use Febreeze!
I also (yes clean freak) brought along a bottle of kitchen cleaner - for the sink, countertops, and bathroom.
Overall, I would say if going to Williamsburg, I would stay here again. The room is smaller than the Marriott here (we stayed there also two years ago), and you do have to go down the hall to use the shared laundry room, but the service was nice, and the location is actually much better than the Marriott for attractions in Williamsburg.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank AlohafromMD
BluegreenCares, Manager at Bluegreen Vacations Patrick Henry Sqr, Ascend Resort Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Hello AlohafromMD,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience returning to Patrick Henry Square for a second visit. We appreciate such a thorough review and descriptions of the accommodations and amenities. We thank your for the positive comments on the convenient location and the helpful staff. We do hope that you will return to see us for a third time.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We purchased two nights at a Blue Green Vacation Club from Bass Pro Shops with a deal costing around $199 and we received $125 back in gift cards. So I wasn't expecting much. Boy was I surprised.

The Patrick Henry Square is located right next to the closed and dilapidated Patrick Henry Inn. For that reason as we pulled up to the hotel our expectations fell even further. Check in was pleasant. We were assigned a time share promo slot and given our room key and hotel and area info. We went to the room and were blown away. Now this is not a Ritz Carlton but they don't pretend to be. What this is however, is a perfectly acceptable hotel.

The Pros:
*Large rooms with 2 full bathrooms
*Kitchenette with any cooking gadgets you could possible need. From convection microwave to blender they really cover it all.
*One King Bed bedroom with a very comfortable bed and tons of pillows, One Queen Bed room also very nice. Both rooms had tvs as did the living area, also equipped with a DVD player.
*Conveniently located within walking distance from Colonial Williamsburg
*Bath and Body Works soaps and plenty of fluffy towels and clean sheets
**** The room smelled fresh and was SPOTLESS

Cons:
*The pool was closed. They let you use a sister property's pool but it is closed nonetheless.
*The wifi was out the entire visit. They did say that it would be repaired but we were there for two nights and it was not working.
*It's a TIME SHARE and you do have to do their shtick (unless you are a MD resident!) (see fine print)

So will we be back? I don't know, but for $75 for two night we have never done better and I don't think we ever will.

Room Tip: We only saw our room but it was GREAT! I would assume they are all the same. Not overly fancy and...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank mttaylor9

Hello mttaylor9,

We are thrilled that we surpassed your expectations at Patrick Henry Square. Thank you for your positive comments on the location, accommodations, and amenities. We regret to learn of your disappointment regarding the pool closure and that you experienced an issue with the Wi-Fi service. We do hope that you will be back and stay with us again on your next visit.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

We are enjoying our stay at Patrick Henry.
We have a 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite. The kitchen is not very big and I'd hate to prepare a big meal here, but it's great for breakfasts and sandwiches, etc. There's a convection/microwave oven and a 2-burner counter-top unit, plus a full-size dishwasher. The frig isn't huge, but could be considered full-sized.
The beds are wonderful, the bathrooms very nice.
We are very comfy here, but if people in the hallway are noisy you will hear them - unless you are in the bedroom. I guess the bedrooms are better insulated. There are a lot of families with small children. We don't hear anything from other rooms except the one above us - it's hard to muffle the noise of children running on the floor above.
The hair dryer burned up immediately when I turned it on this morning, but there was a 2nd one in the other bathroom, so I was fine. I called the desk and they took the broken one down and left a regular hair dryer in the bathroom for me to use until they get it replaced. No problem.
I like the fact that they recycle and use bio-degradable products here. Nice.
Plenty of towels and washcloths for us to use the whole week if we do it like we do at home.
The location is very good - quite near to Colonial Williamsburg and close to other attractions too.
I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank abbagrace

Hello abbagrace,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your stay at Patrick Henry Square. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and found the location of the resort to be convenient to all local attractions. Thank you for your comments on the accommodations and room amenities. We regret to learn that you had an issue with a hair dryer but are happy we were able to replace it without inconveniencing you. We appreciate your acknowledgment of our efforts to be environmentally conscious. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Williamsburg.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

I had a wonderful time at Patrick Henry Square. My two bedroom, two bath suite was a wonderful place for me and my neice to relax. The kitchen had every kind of new appliance you could think of. We both got up and exercised every morning and we cooked most of our meals. We saved money and ate healthy. The glass pyrrex containers were great to store food and we both plan to buy a set. Customer service was excellent, the room was spacious, and very clean. We had to find things to do and guest services was very helpful. I will visit and stay at Patrick Henry Square again.

Room Tip: The Colonial Pancake House had delicious pancakes. The turkey sausage was the best I ever tasted.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family