“Not really a resort...more of a short-term apartment rental”

The Colonies at Williamsburg Resort
Chicago
“Not really a resort...more of a short-term apartment rental”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I will start by saying that this is not, in mho, a resort -- a resort is a destination in and of itself with staff, services, amenities, activities, dining, etc. The Colonies at Williamsburg is a very nicely located, clean, vacation living option that is more akin to a garden-styled apartment complex that is rented out on short-term basis. I know it's a timeshare and that many people love this place, but to be clear, there are no real dining options on-site, the only activities are swimming, tennis, or exercising and there is extremely limited maid service (in fact, it's only offered on request and for a charge...including towel/sheet service and trash pick-up). To be clear, the place is clean. the unit we stayed in last week (60B) was a recently completed 2br/2ba unit that overlooked the tennis court and pool. It was very clean when we checked in and served our purposes great. However, we are used to traveling to resorts (including many higher end timeshare properties like Four Seasons Residence Clubs, Royal Resort properties and Starwood properties) that offer daily maid service, several dining options, daily activities, etc. This place offers a short-term, clean, apartment rental near other attractions. There is lots to do in Williamsburg and this location works and is clean and safe. But you will not find yourself waking up and wanting to spend a lazy day at the "resort" if you are staying here. The photos make it look like there is a huge outdoor pool with water park and lazy river features. To be clear, there is both an indoor and outdoor pool. The oudoor pool does include a water slide and what can only be described as the smallest lazy river you've ever seen....sort of a lazy creek, if you will that extends off the main pool, does a quick loop and comes back. Maybe 12 steps in total to walk the "loop" of the lazy river/creek.

Ok place but i would beg to disagree with the Interval International Premiere label it has and while I cannot comment on other options in the area, would be surprised if there were not nicer spots. But, if having a clean unit, full kitchen and two nice baths are the primary motivators for a decision, the Colonies at Williamsburg will deliver. The 2br units really only have 2 beds in them (a king in the master and a queen in the 2nd bedroom), but the sofa in the living room will convert to a full bed. We did call for a roll-a-way and was surprised that they wanted to charge $70 for the week. We declined and they called back offering the same bed for $20/week. That sort of service also turns me off as I feel that a higher-end resort should either offer the roll-a-way for no additional cost, or at a minimum, offer one price at the outset as opposed to trying to upcharge me and then when I decline, calling back in 10minutes with a new better, special price. I find that somewhat cheesy. One very nice thing about this resort, given that it is a timeshare, is that at no point did they try to get us to attend any sort of owner's meeting or resort tour as others have commented on. Another nice thing is that the units contain a stackable washer/dryer....very important given the lack of daily or even a mid-week unit clean-up and towel/sheet swap.

To sum up -- clean, well located, short-term, no-frills apartment rental in a decent area for touring all that Williamsburg has to offer. Kitchen was good, bathrooms large, washer/dryer worked and was in the unit.

Room Tip: Rooms on Pennsylvania Ave (55-61, I think) are likely to back up to the tennis courts and pool and s...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ChiTownTravlR
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at The Colonies at Williamsburg Resort, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your review. We’re sorry that you were disappointed with certain aspects of our resort. It is true that we don’t have a restaurant on property our include daily maid service, but we believe we still offer an outstanding vacation experience for those that want all the comforts of home while away from home. Unfortunately, no one resort can be everything to everyone, but we do try to make all of our guests happy at The Colonies, and most of the time we’re quite successful. We are thankful that you recognized the overall value we offer and we hope to welcome you back to Williamsburg in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Jupiter, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed in a 2 BR unit and it was great!! Full kitchen with coffeemaker, dishwasher, washer/dryer, stove and all utensils for cooking, etc. The bedroom and bathrooms were good size and everything was clean. We were not asked to attend the sales pitch, thank goodness. The outdoor pool is very nice, but too cold for us Floridians, We did enjoy the indoor pool and the arcade. The location is perfect - close to Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg and Outlet shopping. Several good restaurants in the area as well. Only (minor) complaint was that WiFi was extremely slow. I would stay here again with no hesitation.

Room Tip: Choose second floor unit if possible for less noise.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the wonderful comments about your family’s vacation at The Colonies at Williamsburg. It is truly a pleasure to know that your time with us went so well and we thank you for sharing your experience on tripadvisor for others for see. Come back soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This place was great. The resort was beautiful, and I had only one complaint (see below). We spent one week at this resort. The grounds are nicely kept, and the individual units are great. The kitchen is updated with granite counters and stainless steel appliances. The rooms are clean and well-kept. The beds are comfortable. The in-unit washer/dryer unit was terrific when traveling with younger children. The place was spacious as well. You could hear your neighbors if you listened carefully, but for the most part, it was fairly quiet. The outdoor pool was amazing, and the kids had a blast. There was also an indoor pool, but we did not use it because the weather was great. Overall, everything about the resort itself was outstanding.

Now for my complaint. We foolishly were convinced to attend their sales pitch. It is a timeshare, and they are building new units, so obviously, they want to sell those units. We were offered a free breakfast at a very nice local restaurant and a $85 gift card to attend their "update from Interval International (the timeshare organization) and complete a brief survey. No more than 45 minutes.". At the onset, I informed them that I was not interested in purchasing a unit, and I was explicitly told that there would be no sales pitch/pressure. I should have known better, but we were deceived into attending the sales pitch, where we met with a very sleazy salesman. This salesman proceeded to degrade our current timeshare ownership in another state as a "waste of money" and "useless" in terms of it's value. Just to be clear, it was a salesman from Vacation Village Resorts, the company that owns this particular resort. He identified himself as a "manager" which is a title that I think all their salespeople receive. He would leave us briefly from time to time, which I am sure was to speak with a superior (think car dealership). I repeatedly told him I was not interested in purchasing. He proceeded to belittle me and my wife, in that subtle salesperson way. He was obviously angered that he was not going to make a sale that day by the end of our discussion, which by the way, I had to cut short. Otherwise, the pressure would have continued. The guy was basically your classic sleazy salesman.

BOTTOM LINE -- Outstanding resort. Beautiful units. Do not get swayed to attend their sales pitch, no matter what the incentive (not worth the free breakfast, $85 Visa gift card, and most importantly, your time). I still rated the property as "excellent" because if we had avoided the sales pitch, the property itself is highly recommended,.

Room Tip: Avoid the sales pitch at all costs.
7 Thank socyrdo
Thank you for taking the time to post your recommendation of our resort. There is no better compliment we can receive than reading positive reviews from our guests. We’re sorry that a member of our sales team seemed rude or pushy. We’ve had thousands of travelers take advantage of the perks provided in exchange for a preview of our resort and it is definitely not our intention to insult or aggravate our guests during the sales presentation. We are thankful that the rest of your vacation exceeded your expectations and we hope to share our hospitality with you again at The Colonies.
Westminster, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Had a two BR, two bath condo with dining & living room, patio, washer/dryer, kitchen had granite counters and all stainless steel appliances. Fully furnished with dishes, utensils, bakeware--better than at home. Great location--super easy to find. Two pools, tennis, game room, computers/ printers, and free wi-fi in the condo. You cannot tell that anyone ever stayed in this unit before. Wow, wow, wow!

Room Tip: If you want quiet, stay in the back of the property away from the pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Deke1954
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at The Colonies at Williamsburg Resort, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you, we think you did a lovely job describing our resort! We’re so happy to know that you enjoyed our service at The Colonies at Williamsburg and we really appreciate your recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kenora, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed in a two bedroom, 2 bathroom with a kitchen, washer and dryer. The room is not new but nicely maintained with very comfortable beds. The kitchen in well stocked with utensils and dishes. The laundry soap is provided but you will need to purchase dryer sheets. The resort has an indoor and outdoor pool area that are quite nice. The activity center is very small - maybe for 10 children at the most - we did not join in any of the activities offered during our stay. My only complaint was that they decided to cut the grass at 7:30 in the morning when we were still trying to sleep? The resort is conveniently located to the outlet mall ( about 3 minutes away) which is also where the grocery store is found. The condo is situated about 10 - 15 minutes away from Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg, and Busch Gardens. I was extremely satisfied with the ease of finding all of the attractions from the Colonies. I would definitely return!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the great review! Positive comments here on tripadvisor are vital to our reader’s decision-making when choosing a vacation destination and we truly appreciate it when a guest of ours takes the time to share their experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again to The Colonies at Williamsburg the next time you visit the city.
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We just returned yesterday (7/25/14) from williamsburg Virginia. Our stay at the Colonies was great!. The condo was great!. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, livingroom and dining area complete ith kitchen with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. It is decorated beautiful. I simply loved the colors and wall decorations. It has three TVs with two DVD players and even an electric fireplace. There is a small balcony with a table a four chairs. We asked for a second floor because of the reviews on the noise above, we received a third floor (some buldings have three floors). There are no elevators which we knew and we had no problem with. But keep in mind we counted the steps and there were 34 to the third floor. We had a dryer and washer which was great and I was able to take all our clothes home clean!! Parking is a problem, but we never stayed out too late so we always got a spot in front of our building. The outdoor pool was great! My kids had so much fun with the slide, water sprays and basketball the two days we went by the pool. I agree with other reviewers on the landscape. There is very little of it with no curb appeal, but I am sure in time it will be corrected.

Now I will tell you about the only problem I had with the colonies. The timeshare presentation. We arrived and check in took about two minutes with very friendly and informative workers. I was then sent to the timeshare desk again I talked to very friendly workers. They were not pushy at all. We are owners of two weeks in Aruba and were on an exchange, so I usually say no to a timeshare presentation. The woman said we would get a free breakfast, and we would hear about something new being offered by interval (inteval is how you make exchanges for non timeshare owners). We would fill out a survey which would take 45 mins hear about new offer and we didn't have to go on tour because we were staying at the colonies. The best part if we bought or not we would get a few gift of our choice. So we sign up gave 10 dollar deposit and went to presentation. We talked to our rep...filled out survey...heard about new offer...found out how much it would cost and were not interested. We were polite and so was our rep until we said no. He then tried to convince us and then when we said no he got nasty. He asked us what gift we wanted and then took out a wad do money from his pocket and said here take three hundred dollars from me and said let me give you some advice next time don't waste your time coming to a timeshare presentation. Of course we did not take his money. He gave us a form to sign saying we I'd not want the timeshare bought us down to another floor in an elevator where we got our free gift. He just walked away and said nothing to us. I find this terrible to treat people like he did. Everyone else we dealt with at colonies were extremely nice. Just beware of the timeshare....I am not saying not to go to a presentation because I love my timeshare....but beware of people like our rep.

Room Tip: First floor if you can't do stairs.....
2 Thank radall
Thank you for your wonderful review of The Colonies at Williamsburg. Many travelers choose us for our oversized rooms that feature all the comforts of home and we’re happy that you enjoyed your accommodations. We are very sorry for the experience you had with our sales representative. We take the time to read and respond to comments from our guests because their feedback is an invaluable tool to assist in correcting areas that are in need. The treatment you received is inexcusable and your comments were sent to executive management at our corporate office so this issue may be addressed. We are very thankful to know that the rest of your vacation with us went well and we hope to share our hospitality with you again in Williamsburg.
TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

The condo was was very clean, updated, and nicely decorated. The couch needed to be replaced, very uncomfortable and cushions crushed easily. The kitchen had all the necessary items. They charge for crib and roll-away. They charge for exchange of towels but there is a washer and dryer in the unit so it was easy to wash but I feel like I am on vacation and really do not want to do laundry. There were a lot of activities on site to do. The security was reassuring. The grounds were kept but no flowers and there were a lot of dirt areas. Parking filled for the evening but the overflow was right across the street from our unit. The staff were very friendly and willing to make your stay comfortable. The location was great.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor.
1 Thank GoArmyTx
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at The Colonies at Williamsburg Resort, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive travel experience. The Colonies at Williamsburg has all the comforts of home and great resort activities to keep all of our guests busy! We’re happy that you were pleased with the accommodations and we hope that we may share our hospitality with you again.