“Great location, broken elevator, comfortable beds”

Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area
Ranked #66 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
Allentown, PA
“Great location, broken elevator, comfortable beds”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I have given this hotel an average review with three stars. We stayed here the first weekend in May 2013 for three days. The first thing we learned is that the elevator was broken, and we would have to carry all of our luggage up the stairway to our room. The front desk person helped me upon arrival, but this was very inconvenient for the entire visit. We never saw any elevator repair person. There is only one elevator, and it was out of service for our entire stay. I would go down to the breakfast buffet, and try to balance cereal and juice to bring it back up the stairway (which had very heavy doors at each level) for our kids in the room. It was a difficult climb through the stairway every day with our belongings and food, etc. The wifi was the best part of our stay, as it was strong and reliable. The beds were very comfortable with great quilted down-alternative comforters which were soft and comfy. The pillows and sheets were comfortable and the carpet was clean and new enough. The bathroom was clean, and the sink was a solid-counter stone and was very modern. However, this is a basic hotel, and the hallways were not pleasant since the paint on all of the doors is so badly chipped and the paint is really in bad condition. The poor paint conditions made the hotel feel old and eerie while walking through the hallways. The lobby smelled odd, and the hallways smelled like they put dryer sheets in the air conditioner? Well, this hotel served our purpose and seemed to be in a very, very safe and convenient location. The beds were truly the best part, as they were great (even though just two double beds in our room, not queens). The breakfast was adequate, with bagels, cereal, sausage, juice, coffee, make-your-own waffles, lots of items, but the scrambled eggs did not taste good, and were a strange consistency. We did not use the indoor pool since at the entrance of the pool, there was a carpeted area that had ugly carpet stains, so we decided not to use the pool, as it was just uninviting. We saw some people in the hot tub, but no one in the pool. I would recommend this hotel if you are on a strict budget and need to save money. They reduced the rate by $10 per night since the elevator was out-of-order. However, if you are looking for luxury, avoid it. Also, my advice is to ask if the elevator has been repaired.

Room Tip: They accept pets in certain rooms. Ask for the first floor if the elevator is still broken.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this review, 12 May 2013
Good Afternoon Ester046,

I thank you for your feedback we appreciate all comments and suggestions as that is how we get better and better! I do sincerely apologize about the elevator not operating during your visit. The repairs to the elevator did take longer than expected due to the particular part had to be manufactured upon order. However, the elevator is now definitely operating 100% and I do understand how much of a inconvenience having to use the stairs during the entire visit. We have touched up all of the doors in the main building last week and as it is an ongoing project that we schedule every quarter. We will be touching up all hallways and the exterior building over the next two weeks. I understand the "dryer sheet" smell in the hallways, but I can assure you we do not put dryer sheets in the AC units. With the guest laundry on the 2nd floor, both 2nd and 3rd floors can indeed smell like dryer sheets especially if a lot of guests are doing laundry. The pool area is a work in progress and I do appreciate your feedback. We hope to see you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Reviewed 16 April 2013

My friends and I ha never been to Williamsburg before and decided to stop through while we were traveling north. The young lady Stephanie at the front desk was very helpful and very nice! She recommended a great restaurant across the street that was very delicious! The pool and hot tub were great and clean. The hotel is still being renovated but is very nice for the price! I would stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank KIMFAZZ
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this review, 5 May 2013
KIMFAZZ,

I thank you for sharing you compliments! Stefania is a great addition to our staff. The Yorkshire Restaurant is absolutely outstanding, priced resonably for the quality and the portion size, and they have stellar customer service!
Kingsport, Tennessee
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I have used hotels for the last 12 years with my job. I will tell you these people are probably the nicest and easiest to work with I have ever used. The hotel is a little old, but clean and on a quiet street. The breakfast is good and the indoor pool is awesome. It is around the corner from Bush Gardens and all the historic attractions.

There are no walking-distant restaurants, but all are a very short drive away. I will use them again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank don s
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this review, 4 May 2013
Don S,

It was a pleasure serving you and your AFJROTC group! We will miss Bill since he this was his last trip and we won't be able to assist in any practical jokes! I am glad you enjoyed your stay, Busch Gardens & the Williamsburg area. We look forward to seeing you and your group in the future!
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We stay here from March 19th to March 26th while in Williamsburg looking for property. The staff not only are extremely accommodating, but are also super friendly. Because we were buying property there was a lot of paperwork back and forth and nothing I asked was too much trouble. The hotel is extremely clean and neat and they have the best breakfast of any choice property we have stayed. I also noticed that the rooms seemed a little larger then most hotels.....it is a little older but it is also so convenient to everything...almost across from the colonial area. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting colonial Williamsburg.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Susan E
Susan E,

Thank you Susan for your compliments. Our interior rooms are a bit more spacious than most hotels. It was a pleasure assisting you in any way possible, as we all know how stressful it is to sell one property and buy another within the same week. Since you are a Williamsburg local now we look forward to seeing you drop by and say "Hi"
Eastern Shore of MD
Reviewed 6 April 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights in December 2012 while in the area Christmas shopping. I have no complaints at all, only compliments. I have stayed at almost every hotel in Williamsburg and this is one I will be returning to. Nice breakfast, comfy beds and clean rooms. I don't need anything more than that. The great staff was a bonus and so was the price. I will be returning to Williamsburg with my husband tomorrow - 4/7/13 - and we will be staying here.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank memomof2
Memomof2,

It was great to see our returing guests! We thank you for the compliments and pictures! It was our pleasure to make you and your family's stay as comfortable as possible. We do strive to be the best in customer service. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Baton Rouge
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Used Choice points- 10,000 pts. 2/8-2/11/13.
First impression- Small hotel with friendly staff. Rooms older but slightly larger than usual. Rooms seem well kept and Hotel seems well managed. Free baked cookies at front desk!!
During stay- Large heated indoor pool and Lg. Hot tub/spa. ~4 mi to Busch and 3 to Col. Williams. Breakfast very nice, usual waffle, sausage, biscuit, egg, fruit, cereal, yogurt.
1-2 blocks form convenience store/gas station. Fairly quiet except for train noise 1-2 x's a day.
Checkout- No issues
Try Antonios Ristorante Italiano 801 Merrimac Trail
Williamsburg (757) 258-5300. Good inexpensive pizza, sandwiches and salads.

Con's- nearby restaurants a bit pricey. Small vanity area in our room. Kids didn't want to leave hotel :)

Room Tip: Stay in main building so you won't have to walk outside to get to pool and hot tub.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank ENRN
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Good Evening ENRN,

I would like to personally thank you for your feeback and comments. It was our pleasure to serve you during your stay and can't wait to see you again in the near future. The fresh baked cookies definitely give off a astounding aroma when entering into the hotel. Also, I have just recently personally tried Antonios Ristorante Italiano and I would have to agree that is great food.
Tennessee Ridge, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We took our group to Williamsburg this past November. It consisted of many teenagers. We found the hotel to be very teenage friendly and helpful with whatever we needed. The rooms were clean and comfortable and had been recently updated.

Bobby Shah and Andre were very friendly and accomodating when asked to make cookies one evening even when they had already put them away.

The pool was very nice as well as the hot tub. The breakfast was also very good and very sufficient.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Good Evening SatisfiedInTennessee,

I thank you for giving the team here at the Quality Inn the chance to serve you and your group. I will ensure that they are well aware of your feedback! Even since your departure we have updated the rooms even more and have replaced all of our TV's with 32" Flat Screen TV's! If you may have any future group needs, feel free to contact me via email at gm.va222@choicehotels.com or via phone at 757-220-3100.