“Beds uncomfortable”

Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area
Ranked #66 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Stayed 2 nights for a weekend trip to Busch Gardens.
The lobby area was nice and clean, the rooms were average except for really stiff beds.
Continental breakfast is lacking.
Good military discount when directly booking on their site.

• Stayed: May 2013
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Good Morning natbabyx,

I thank you for your feedback and thank you for the compliments on the lobby area. I do sincerely apologize about the beds being uncomfortable. With the deluxe continental breakfast, we do follow all Quality Inn specifications provided by Choice Hotels. Again, I thank you for your feedback and I hope to see you and your family again!

There are newer reviews for Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area

Reviewed 22 May 2013

Stayed here a month ago and I do not have any complaints. It was a pet friendly, clean room conveniently located near the historic district and Busch Gardens. The staff was helpful and friendly. For the price, the room was simple and met our needs. I plan on staying here again the next time I am in Williamsburg.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelerDan70
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Good Morning TravelerDan70,

It was our pleasure serving you, your family, and your furry companion too! We appreciate your feedback and I will definitely share it with the staff. We look forward to seeing you again and again in the future.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Had a great time on this stay the hotel people are very nice and polite and very helpful when needed. When checking in we were on the second floor and I have trouble with steps so the lady at front got me a room on ground floor.

Room Tip: This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel and have very good service both times. we were...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Betty K

Good Morning Betty K,

I am super excited that we were able to accommodate you on the 1st floor. We do pride ourselves on our great customer service and I am glad that our staff was there to assist you whenever needed. Thank you and look forward to serving you again and again!

Reviewed 14 May 2013

Hello! This hotel is old and the hallways were musty. The shower heads were poor, need to get updated ones. The walls are very thin. The breakfast was poor. Eggs did not taste good and the coffee was poor. They need to add a Microwave. The first morning, the guy in the breakfast area was on his cell phone the whole time we were there. You should consider another hotel.

Room Tip: My tip would be to check out another hotel. I would choose the Clarion down the street.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pt32127
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Good Evening pt32127,

I do apologize that we did not meet or exceed your expectations. But I would like to inform you that we have switched the shower head in the room that you resided in during your stay. I have spoken with the breakfast attendant to ensure that he knows we are all about customer service and to ensure it doesn't happen again. Again I sincrely apologize that you had a less than pleasurable experience, however, I would love to invite you back and I will personally ensure your stay is the best.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

I booked a room here based on the location (proximity to Busch gardens) as well as photos that made the hotel appear to be all inside rooms. As a female staying alone in a hotel with a young child, I didn't want to be in a hotel that had outside access to the room for safety reasons. That was my #1 concern. Imagine my disappointment when I drive up to the hotel to check in, and first had a difficult time finding parking, and saw the back portion of the hotel was all outside rooms. I asked for an inside room and was told they were all booked. The room I was given was right next to a bunch of young guys who were outside on the walkway drinking beer until almost 4 am. In my less than 12 hour stay I heard a train pass by about 5 times. The room wasn't dirty, but was small and dated. None of the outlets were tight enough to keep my phone charger plugged into the wall. The ac unit was super loud (though not loud enough to drown out the drinking crew outside my window). The pool seemed nice, and my son had it all to himself for a while. I tried not to be totally grossed out when he came up with a clump of hair on him- that was randomly floating in the pool. Breakfast sausage was tasty, that's all we tried. The orange juice was just colored water.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Leahw01

Good Evening Leahw01,

I do apologize that you had a less then desirable experience due the other patrons of the hotel not being respectful. However, we do take our guest safety and security very serious and I wished it would have been reported to the front desk. If noise complaints arise, we do take action quickly and effectively. I am not 100% positive about how the reservation was made, but we do have the interior and exterior rooms seperated when booking at choicehotels.com or any other online booking agent with exterior coordior in the room descrioption. I do apologize about the outlets not being up to par in that particular room. We have recently began going through all the units to replace and outlets not working properly. I thank you for your comments and feedback and the next time you are in town, please feel free to call me directly and I will personally ensure we have an interior cooridors room for your accommodations.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

When we first arrived at the hotel we were informed that our suite was on the 3rd Floor and the elevator was broken. Chad, the person at the front desk that greeted us was very accomodating and got us two rooms on the first floor due to my husbands handicap. Chad also gave us advice on where to eat in the area and gave us any information that we wanted or needed. The breakfast was great. Hot and cold food and always full, with many choices. Pool was very nice and the hot tub was a great asset to a long day. Wonderful experience. I would highly recomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank hppysvn
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2013

Good Afternoon Hppysvn,

It was a pleasure assisting you with your needs and accommodating you and your family! I am glad that you enjoyed the restaurant recommendation of 6 Crabs...it is a little hole in the wall seafood restaurant that all of us locals love! If you are ever in the area again, we definitely look forward to serving you and your family! Also, the elevator is now operating!!!

Reviewed 5 May 2013

I have given this hotel an average review with three stars. We stayed here the first weekend in May 2013 for three days. The first thing we learned is that the elevator was broken, and we would have to carry all of our luggage up the stairway to our room. The front desk person helped me upon arrival, but this was very inconvenient for the entire visit. We never saw any elevator repair person. There is only one elevator, and it was out of service for our entire stay. I would go down to the breakfast buffet, and try to balance cereal and juice to bring it back up the stairway (which had very heavy doors at each level) for our kids in the room. It was a difficult climb through the stairway every day with our belongings and food, etc. The wifi was the best part of our stay, as it was strong and reliable. The beds were very comfortable with great quilted down-alternative comforters which were soft and comfy. The pillows and sheets were comfortable and the carpet was clean and new enough. The bathroom was clean, and the sink was a solid-counter stone and was very modern. However, this is a basic hotel, and the hallways were not pleasant since the paint on all of the doors is so badly chipped and the paint is really in bad condition. The poor paint conditions made the hotel feel old and eerie while walking through the hallways. The lobby smelled odd, and the hallways smelled like they put dryer sheets in the air conditioner? Well, this hotel served our purpose and seemed to be in a very, very safe and convenient location. The beds were truly the best part, as they were great (even though just two double beds in our room, not queens). The breakfast was adequate, with bagels, cereal, sausage, juice, coffee, make-your-own waffles, lots of items, but the scrambled eggs did not taste good, and were a strange consistency. We did not use the indoor pool since at the entrance of the pool, there was a carpeted area that had ugly carpet stains, so we decided not to use the pool, as it was just uninviting. We saw some people in the hot tub, but no one in the pool. I would recommend this hotel if you are on a strict budget and need to save money. They reduced the rate by $10 per night since the elevator was out-of-order. However, if you are looking for luxury, avoid it. Also, my advice is to ask if the elevator has been repaired.

Room Tip: They accept pets in certain rooms. Ask for the first floor if the elevator is still broken.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Good Afternoon Ester046,

I thank you for your feedback we appreciate all comments and suggestions as that is how we get better and better! I do sincerely apologize about the elevator not operating during your visit. The repairs to the elevator did take longer than expected due to the particular part had to be manufactured upon order. However, the elevator is now definitely operating 100% and I do understand how much of a inconvenience having to use the stairs during the entire visit. We have touched up all of the doors in the main building last week and as it is an ongoing project that we schedule every quarter. We will be touching up all hallways and the exterior building over the next two weeks. I understand the "dryer sheet" smell in the hallways, but I can assure you we do not put dryer sheets in the AC units. With the guest laundry on the 2nd floor, both 2nd and 3rd floors can indeed smell like dryer sheets especially if a lot of guests are doing laundry. The pool area is a work in progress and I do appreciate your feedback. We hope to see you again in the future.