“Great for family”

Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area
Ranked #65 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This was one of the few hotels that our family had never stayed in while in Williamsburg and we were pleasantly surprised! The lobby was modern and brightly decorated, the breakfast was really, really good and we all LOVED the pool and jacuzzi.

Our room was quite large and had a microwave and fridge, which is always nice when staying for a few days.

Room Tip: Pick one of the slightly more expensive, larger rooms. They are in the main part of the hotel and cl...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Good Morning Tracey H,

I would like to thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you return soon! Maybe for Busch Gardens Christmas Town or Colonial Williamsburg's Grand Illumination!

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I believe the title of my review speaks for itself but let me elaborate-if you would like a dirty disgusting room, electrical sockets that don't function, poor customer service, and key cards that don't unlock your door, then this is the place for you! If you want actual quality, please do yourself a favor and stay at a Holiday Inn.

After sitting in 9 hours of traffic on I-95, my family and I arrived only to not be able to enter our room. When the maintenance staff came up to attempt and resolve this issue, we were told it could not be fixed. Hence, we asked to switch our room; as any normal family would do. We were told this was impossible. We then asked if we could switch to a different "Quality" Inn, we were also told that this cannot be done. We were basically told we can leave and better yet, they were unsure when they could resolve the key card issue. Now, we have to stand in a line at the front desk and wait for a maintenance worker every time we want to enter our room. To compensate, we were offered $7.00 off of our stay. That does not even cover the taxes! Quite honestly, the stay is worth about $7.00. In my dispute with the front desk attendant about this issue, I was told three things I found very disturbing: 1. "This happens all the time." I'm no expert, but if it happens all the time, shouldn't it be something you should have rectified by now. And for the record, it's never happened to me at a hotel before and I have traveled all over the place in my 32 years on this earth. 2. "We have no affiliation with Choice Hotels." Well then who exactly is this hotel affiliated with? I'm confused because I booked on choicehotels.com. 3. I could not speak to a manager. For the record, I am a customer service manager and even if I've gone home for the day, I am always accessible to my staff if there is a major issue. But then again, my staff actually knows what they're talking about and we actually serve our customers!!!

Another confusing thing that was told to me-I could not have a different room because I booked a smoking room. First of all, it was the only room showing available on the site and this was a blatant lie because there is clearly a non-smoking sign on the door of the room.

To add insult to injury, the electrical sockets in the room do not function! This hotel needs new management, a new staff, and some efforts to make the place accommodating. I guess that all chalks up to new management but either way, I am disgusted. This level of service is unacceptable and I plan on filing an official complaint with the corporate offices. And of course, my family and I will not be doing business with this sorry excuse for a hotel chain again.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Dmcalister813
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Good Evening Dmcalister813,

First, I would like to personally apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered with the lock issue and the inability to fix the issue. I do apologize if the exact situation was not explained properly, as our rooms were 100% committed with reservations upon your arrival and the arrivals that had not checked in yet were all guaranteed reservations for a non-smoking room. Unfortunately we are unable to switch a reservation from a non-smoking room to a smoking room without the guests consent. Upon the situation being presented to the front desk agent, I did receive a phone call about the situation and was was asked if the hotel would pay for another hotel. I did explain that unfortunately we would not, however, we would compensate for the night of arrival (friday night) and move the guest the next day if wanted. It was then said that you preferred not to stay and I agreed to have the front desk agent assist in finding different accommodations and cancel the reservation without penalty. However, eventually I was notified that you did stay and your 1st night was compensated completely and a credit for the entire amount of the advance deposit was processed. Also, we are not affiliated with any other choice brands around as each choice property is independently owned and operated. I am not sure why you were unable to contact a manager as my business cards that are located at the front desk have my contact information along with my cell phone number so that I may be contacted by anyone. I also was notified that we were able to switch your room the next day where you completed your 3 night stay. As stated in previous reviews we do pride ourselves on our customer service and we do our best to go above and beyond for our guests.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

this was a great family place to stay. The pool and hot tub were great The room was clean and quiet. Staff were very helpful, breakfast had lots to offer with 3 types of waffles to sausage rounds and eggs toast bagels etc, Price was reasonable and they had a tuck shop as well.

Room Tip: You have a couple of options one being in the main hotel or going to the exterior core. Slept in bot...
1  Thank Bonnie B
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Good Afternoon Bonnie B,

It was a pleasure serving you and your family. I am glad we could assist you in your time of disappointment. I thank you for the great comments and I will be sure to pass the information on to the staff with a huge "PAT ON THE BACK!" We welcome you back anytime and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We needed a 1 night stay in Williamsburg for a sporting event and booked the Quality Inn because of it location. We arrived after 10 PM on a Friday night and checked in to room 203 in the older part of the hotel. The room smelled terrible of mildew and a staleness, my wife wanted to leave right away but I convinced her to stay sine in was so late. The rest of the room was ok if staying for 1 night but should have been cleaner for sure....
We left early because of the smell... I don't think this room should be rented again without a serious cleaning to remove the stale smell. I would guess that the newer part of the hotel is in better condition but I will choose another hotel when in Williamsburg again.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 203
1  Thank amosapparel
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Good Evening amosapparel,

I sincerely apologize for the condition of the room as we do dehumidify our rooms and it seems as room 203 should be on the list to be next in line. We will definitely get the smell out of the room. I do wish that this visit not be a lasting impression of the Quality Inn Historic East and for the inconveniences that you encountered I have added 5,000 Choice Privileges points to your account. I would also offer you a 50% discount for a future visit and I will personally ensure that your stay is 100% satisfactory!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I was very impressed with this hotel. The hotel staff was very accommodating and super nice. We were traveling with a boat and they made sure we had ample parking at all times and we also had our dog with us and they were very friendly with the dog. The room was really clean and I was impressed because my dog never sniffed around like there had been another dog around. The continental breakfast was above and beyond my expectations with the waffle bar. Great location close to everything.

Room Tip: the only thing with our room was that we were in a pet friendly room and they are on the back side a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Good Evening AngieH,

On behalf of the staff it was an absolute pleasure to serve you during your stay. We definitely appreciate the feedback and I will definitely be sure to give the staff a "Pat On The Back!" I do remember Bubbles and how well behaved she was, even when the aggressive Nugget came out on Sunday afternoon! We look forward to serving you in the future and make sure to bring the sunshine the next time! It is our pleasure to make your stay as enjoyable as possible!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

This hotel is in the perfect location in Williamsburg. The staff is friendly and helpful. Over the three days we were there, the staff was continually working in the property. Although they were working, this in no way disturbed our stay. They obviously take pride in the property and are finding ways to improve it. The pool and spa were spotless and a delight.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Sarah P
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Good Afternoon SarahP,

I appreciate your feedback and we are always looking at ways to improve the property. I hope to see you in the future especially during Christmas time as Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens are both beautiful during this time!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

The Quality Inn is within walking distance of Colonial Williamsburg. We stayed there for our trip to Colonial Williamsburg.The staff is friendly and exceptionally helpful. They cheerfully assisted us in booking accomodations for our return trip home.

1  Thank RetirePaul

Good Afternoon RetirePaul,

I am thank you for choosing the Quality Inn for your lodging needs and I hope we can assist you in the future also! I excited to hear that the staff was able to assist you in booking a hotel reservation on your trip home as we do strive for excellence in our customer service! I will be sure to give Cathleen a pat on the back.