“Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area”

Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area
Ranked #65 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is an older Quality Inn that has been partially updated, however, it is clean and the beds are clean and comfortable. The staff are very friendly and helpful. This is a good hotel to stay at for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: The beds are very comfortable and clean.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2014

Good Evening Becky B,

We are continuously updating the facility and we are currently rebranding the exterior corridor as a Suburban Extended Stay, under the Choice family. We look forward to your future visits!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Clean and comfortable place. Excellent house keeping. Room was really clean upon arrival. Room had mini fridge and microwave. Good location if you are going to colonial williamsburg, water country usa or busch gardens. Pool and hot tub were really clean. Breakfast was much more than I expected. Hot waffles, hot scrambled eggs, bagels, muffins,bread, fruit. In general very good selection for breakfast. Really liked staying here,and it was good value for the money paid!

Good Evening ptanika,

It was a pleasure serving you and we hope to see you in the future! We thank you for your kind words and look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Well I have a whole list but let start with this hotel is very dirty and not safe. I feel horrible that I was responsible for booking this place in Nov2013 for my team and their 10 families. It was impossible to displace everyone at the last minute do to the volume in the area for this event. First my door would not open unless you throw your hip into it and shut only when you pulled the handle hard. During shutting the door the first time the mirror frame broke. This was Sunday- staff promised it would be fixed the next morning. Air conditioner vents broken and leaks. We had and adjoin room to one of the families on our team. Thank goodness because the door jam wood area was cracked beyond repair, no doorknob or lock to secure it. Then the light-lamp fixture are broken so did not allow my children to touch it out of fear they would be shocked. Found bugs(beetles) in the bed and frogs in the pool. This was just my room. n The list is ongoing for other families in our group from overflowing toilet, clogged sinks, and not enough towels for all their guest. We had to collect cleaning supplies at target to scrub our bathrooms. Nothing was repaired as promised. I am seriously considering writing to the coordinator of the NSA in Williamsburg to have this hotel taken off their approved/mandatory list. Horrible experience for our girls. This was suppose to be their home away from home for the week, and we were stuck there. I have posted pictures. I believe any good reviews on this site have to be fabricated. Nothing good about this place. Avoid it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Sofballmom
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Good Afternoon Softballmom,

I do apologize that you feel that way about the hotel. We have been able to fix the doors that are hard to shut/open. The mirror has to be put up with special adhesive to ensure that the same does not happen once the mirror is put back, which this special adhesive had to be ordered. I apologize that the staff was not aware of this and it would have been addressed, if I would have known that they "promised" you as such. After investigating the maintenance reports, we found that the door jam was not broken prior to the arrival. The light ceramic (decorative portion) was broken and we apologize, however that would not pose any electrical shock issue as the electrical portion was intact in the interior of the lamp. We did just hire a new pest control company the week before your arrival and those issues have no ceased to exist. The overflowing toilet, clogged sinks/tubs and towel shortages are a factor when you have a older hotel with 4-7 people per room, which are 95% teenage girls and with people taking multiple showers per day. We did receive a shipment of linen and we did go above and beyond by purchasing towels from Target/Walmart until the order arrived. I know this is not an issue that you should have dealt with and I do apologize, however, we did try our best to accommodate. After the order was received this issue was resolved. We are in the process of redoing our bathtubs and the 3rd floor is our next phase. As your husband and I had several conversations during the week and I do wished it would have been brought to my attention.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Where to start... We got to the hotel a bit after check-in and our hotel room was not ready. They told us it would be ready in about 15 minutes, so we stayed in the parking lot and waited. And waited. After 15 minutes, they told us it would be ready in 30 minutes. It was ready about an hour after check in was supposed to occur.

Next, we got into our room. The room looked okay at first. But then we discovered a bunch of crumbs on the floor, a hair hanging by the shower (which looked extremely dirty), a SHELL of a phone (so we couldn't call the front desk if we wanted). NO trashcan, no pots or pans for the burners they installed, the alarm clock would not work, and for some reason we had not one, but TWO microwaves, which seemed odd, but hey, if I wanted to pop two bags of popcorn at the same time, i suppose it would be convenient.

Furthermore, when we went into the Jacuzzi, we nearly burned off our feet as the temperature was 106 degrees Fahrenheit. The management told us that they would get on that, so we went later in the day, and it still wasn't fixed. Also, there were frogs in the pool. FROGS!!!

And then night fell. We could smell the smoke in the air from the smokers outside the balcony, even though we asked for a non-smoking room, and hear the loud trampling from children constantly running up and down the stairs (we were placed near a stairwell, go figure). The air conditioning was either on full blast or off, so the temperature in the room was dreadful no matter what.

The only decent thing about this hotel was the breakfast. There may have been kids running around, but they had a nice coffee maker that made things like hot chocolate. That was the only positive.

I can't make this stuff up. I had to make an account in order to warn other travelers to not stay here.

5  Thank GloriousBillboard

Good Afternoon Gloriousbillboard,

I do apologize that you had to wait for your room as it was our first round of renovations and the contractors did take longer than expected and we did rush through them and I certainly do apologize. The jacuzzi was unusually at a higher temperature than normal we did lower the temperature and added cold water to the jacuzzi also. Unfortunately, there is a high amount of frog activity during the begnning of summer season here in our area. We try our best to ensure they do not get into the pool area, however with the pool opening into the outside it is a battle. We are in the process of rebranding the exterior corridor from a Quality Inn to a Suburban Extended Stay.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The only reason I am giving this hotel any stars at all is because of the staff. This hotel was a major let down. There were so many things wrong with the room I had to make a list for the manager. Drawers broken, bathroom door wouldn't close, main door lock was partially broken, couldn't set shower temp (my little girl couldn't stand under the running water it was so hot!), dirty sink which I cleaned with very little effort too bad the maid service couldn't have tried a little, bed coverings were dirty, just a nasty dirty room. The pool area was okay. So glad I was able to get reservations at a different hotel! We got out of this one as quick as we could! If you have kids please try a different hotel as I didn't feel safe at this one. Weird guy was watching the girls in the pool, the manager was helpful about this. The wifi was pretty much non existent , very slow when you could get connected.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, find another hotel.
5  Thank Pam W

Good Afternoon Pam W,

Upon your check-out, I did go check the room and the drawer was off track and it was easily fixed. The bathroom door seems to close without any issues and the main lock did seem to operate properly. We do have to dig deeper with the hot water issue and we actively have a plumber looking into what may cause that situaiton with just some of the rooms, but not all in the exterior corridor. We are actively renovating the exterior corridor with new bedding, kitchenettes, etc and rebranding it as a Suburban Extended Stay.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The Staff is very friendly, and the price for the hotel was cheap, but we had many issues with the room such as lose electric outlets and phone wires that come out of the wall; door did not lock properly without a strong push; Bath tub was dirty; exterior side door on the first floor did not close properly, and the ice machine leaked, carpet needs replacing. Bed was comfortable, it was close to Colonial williamsburg and the breakfast was good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sightseeing1

Good Afternoon sightseeing1,

I thank you for your feedback and we are currently renovating and getting those detail items such as the electrical outlets, phone jacks, doors that are hard to open/shut. I went to investigate the ice machine leaking and found not issues with that unit. It could have been someone dropping ice on the floor and did not retreive the ice. We have contracted a company for the carpet cleaning which is to be started by Monday, July 28, 2014.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The pictures did not do any justice for this hotel. It's a combo hotel/motel that is in the middle of a renovation. Room was not of quality!!! Did not feel safe. Rock in door lock, mattress were dirty. Room smelled moldy. Door to plumbing access was open. Room was very small. Staff was helpful but not a great hotel at all.

Room Tip: Rooms in motel section are very old and not clean. Mattresses were dirty.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MsBru

Good Afternoon MsBru,

Currently there are not pictures of the exterior corridor building as we are re-branding it as a Suburban Extended Stay. We are in the middle of a renovation. The exterior corridor rooms are about 30% smaller than the interior corridor rooms thus the price difference between the interior & exterior. I can assure you that the property is safe. I would like to have further information in regards to the room number so that I may look at the mattresses in question. Please email me at gm.va222@choicehotels.com or via phone at 757-220-3100.