“Great motel for the price! Clean rooms and friendly manager”

Capt. John Smith Inn
Ranked #67 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great motel for the price! Clean rooms and friendly manager”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this Travelodge this past Memorial Day weekend as well as a year ago. Both times we were pleased with the friendly and endearing manager, Gatu, as well as the quaint, but charming room. We are both world travelers and have stayed in a wide range of accomodations. We expected motel accomodations and that is what we received.

The motel is in an excellent location across the street from Olive Garden and Carrabba's and within walking distance of other restaurants. Moreover, the outlets and other shopping areas are a 5 min drive west, while the historic downtown is a quick 10 min drive east.

We had the same room both visits and were not disturbed by any neighbor's noise. We were not on the side near the train tracks, nor did we ever hear any train noise. The room's furnishings, appliances (coffee machine/refridgerator/ microwave), and bed were clean. The TV worked perfectly and there were no problems with getting hot water or water pressure. Our bathroom had no mold and the caulk around the tub and shower looked brand new. We very much like that there is an ice-machine on-site as we used the ice to keep our packed lunches cold for our Saturday and Sunday day trips.

While the beds could be more comfortable, the towels thicker, and the A/C unit quieter, our expectations were for a motel not a hotel. After reading the negative reviews, I am irked that people expect hotel-quality towels, bedding, and more from a budget motel. If you wanted thick towels, new mattressses, white-glove cleanliness, and a completely quiet room, go pay the 200+ for a hotel room. My boyfriend and I are happy to save the money and support a local family.

Room Tip: We have stayed on the second floor both times which may help reduce noise. If you want a thick ba...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Capt. John Smith Inn, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Please try us again when you are in Williamsburg, VA.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
feasterville
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I received a free weekend for this hotel. I read the previous reviews and decided my wife and I would go anyway as we can usually make the best of whatever problems should come our way.
We were skeptical of the fact that it could not be as bad as some reviews made it sound.

Boy was I wrong!

Upon entering the room Friday afternoon, I closed the door, noting the fact that there was not a tight seal around the door. Daylight shined through around the top and side of the door.

I then noticed two dead roaches on the floor under the window while turning on the a/c. I forgot about the bugs because the a/c did not work. The unit was not plugged in. I tried to plug it into the 220-volt wall outlet and the wall outlet pushed into the wall. I gently pulled the receptacle out of the wall and plugged it in, after a few minutes, it only blew out warm air. I tried turning it off, only to understand why it was unplugged. It would not turn off. Therefore, I unplugged it, pulling the entire outlet totally from the wall box doing so. Long story short, they decided to replace the whole unit. Leaving the loose 220-volt outlet dangling within the wall box.

Even though the hotel website shows a king size bed with a couch with two end tables, the king rooms have two stiff chairs (with complimentary multiple cigarette burn holes) and a round table that if you move, you notice the two perfect matching iron burn spots in the carpet.

Next notable annoyance was the bathroom fan; it was so noisy I swore a helicopter was landing on the roof whenever we turned it on.

The non-skid matt permanently affixed to the bathtub looks as if it has been ready for a replacement since 1970.

I will not mention the mold spots in the caulk around the tub and wall tiles.

I also will not comment on the horrible tape and spackle job the length of the bed wall, I will say however if you are thinking of using the person who spackled and painted our hotel room, You are better off letting my dog repair your sheetrock. It would look a lot better.

In this hotel, having wallpaper hang off the wall in various spots around the room, must add ambience to the room I guess. As all walls had at least a corner dropping or separated from the wall.

There was a random bolt protruding from the ceiling down about two inches. Not sure why, but the nut and bolt were sprayed with the same popcorn as the rest of the ceiling, so it must have been there for a reason. Maybe it is holding the bed upstairs in place.

The wall where the bed was has the metal channel for hiding the electric to the wall-mounted lamps, but even though the channels are there, the wall mounted lamp cords were hanging off the wall and each cord is plugged into separate extension cords. Those extension cords go down and run in between the mattress and box spring until they reach the wall box located at the middle of the wall behind the head of the bed. Since this wall box is located dead center in the middle of the bed and the mattress is pushed right up against it, bending and crushing each of the extension cord plugs to the side.

To my dismay, it did get worse. Less then twenty feet behind the actual hotel building, NOT the property line, the building. There are train tracks. Long, Loud, rumbling freight trains make regular trips down these tracks. All Day and all nightlong they go.
Just when you think, you get used to the building shaking as if the train is in the room with you, a high-speed line will sneak through and shake and rattle the hell out of your room and be gone before you even knew what happened.
By the way, Those dead roaches from Friday, were still there Sunday morning when we left.

Room Tip: Days in down the street is where we're staying on our next trip. looks a lot nicer.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1331carson
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I have low standards for hotels. I don't need room service, I don't care if the carpets not vacuumed, and restrooms have to be pretty disgusting for me to complain about them. That said, things I won't tolerate are mold, bugs/bedbugs, and beds covered in filth left behind from the people who were there before me. This hotel had all three.

The attendant at the desk was nice to give a discount from $64 to $52. I thought it was a good start. Room 109 is what I got. I drove up there, opened the door, and the smell hit me while I was standing outside. I went inside to look, and found that the smell was coming from an ironing board in the back of the room that was covered in mold. I assumed it could have been the result of the recent hurricane. I don't know where the flood zones were afterall. So, I asked if I we could get a new room, to which the attendant politely obliged, and then apologized. I said, "It's okay." Afterall, it wasn't her fault.

Room 206, second floor. Seemed much better, until I was about to lay down on the bed to take a quick nap before bringing things in. I'm glad I didn't bring anything in yet. There was a bug crawling on the bed. Okay, big deal, right? Sure, but it still warants looking under the covers. Pulled up the covers to see more bugs scatter off behind the bed. I was worried there might be bed bugs too, so to make sure, I pulled off the fitted sheet on the bed, What did I see? Eggs, human hairs, and all colors and shapes of small pieces of filth.

Back at the lobby, I asked for a refund. They sent someone back to the room with a two-way radio. That person called back to the attendant, and yelled, "They tore the room up! There's nothing wrong with the room. These sheets are clean." The attendant then told me that they could not offer a refund if there was no legitimate reason to leave, despite the fact that we weren't in either room for even five minutes. I restated what we found. The attendant then talked to someone in the back who said, "Just give them their money back. We cleaned those rooms but --muffled speech--" She then handed me a receipt that said $0.00 on it, and told me that the transaction had not gone through yet. I'm looking at pending transactions right now in my bank account, and if I find that it does go through later, I will be taking necessary action. I've had it happen before with another business years back.

This happened an hour ago. I don't usually write reviews. I don't have the time. But this wasn't minor inconveniences. Mold is dangerous, and I wouldn't suggest that anyone with kids should stay here. While I'm wrapping this up, I feel like those bugs are crawling all over me. I don't see them, but because I've seen them before, I'm sort of becoming paranoid. Bedbugs and ticks are deal-breakers for hotels. If you do get a room here, check everything, especially under the fitted sheets. That's where all the filth is, and apparently where the bugs breed.

Oh, and since when is pulling up the covers considered "tearing up" a room?

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Anon A
Stuarts Draft
Reviewed 31 July 2011

When we arrived, we were given our room promptly. However, when we actually went to the room, we discovered it was dirty. The nightstand was sticky as if someone had spilled something on it, the refrigerator had ice cream spilled in the freezer, and the air conditioner was blowing only air, not cool air, air.
I called the front desk and they moved us to the room next door. The air conditioner there was worse. They brought us a fan. The heat index was 110, and we were traveling with a sick child.
I again called and he said he would credit my card for the room. Then, he said try one more room. He then moved us downstairs to a room in the corner. The air there was cool, but by no means cold.
We did stay, only because we had paid for the room already.
The beds were clean and comfortable. The surroundings were quiet enough except for the occasional train that ran before 10pm. The room itself was marginally clean. The air conditioners all need to be replaced.
The manager, owner I guess tried to make us happy I guess, but you should not have to move to three different rooms.
Also, the continental breakfast consisted of toast and jelly.
We will not be trying Travelodges in the future....

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank usmomlovemc
Reviewed 23 July 2011

By far, THE WORST place EVER! The room was dirty, electrical outlets and wires hanging out of wall, and BUG INFESTED. Large bug (may have been dead cockroach) on floor and bug casing/shell in bed! Large yellow stain on bedsheet.Poor A/C. The pool was dirty and cloudy (so bad that you couldn't look down and see your legs or feet)! Algae/Dirt scum all over parameter of pool (where nasty water did not cover). Our total stay including unloading and reloading car, making two complaints and taking pictures of this nasty hole was 2 hours. We checked in at 3 and left a 5. Could not stomach the filth any longer. Complained to owner (after his teenaged kid lied and said he wasnt there - same kid that checked us in). Owner refused to refund money and walked off during my complaints (and the show and tell of my pics). RUDE MANAGEMENT who doesn't care about the place or the people. This place was slightly a step above a crack hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank rspoyld
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Ok to begin. The seemingly 12 year old was foreign and almost impossible to understand. He sent me to my room and forgot to program key card. Room was extremely hot and a/c set on high blew out a weak breeze. Took 4 hrs to begin to cool down and 9 hrs to actually become comfortable. Oh and did I mention when I was going to bed I heard a weird tap on wall and looked up and saw a giant bug on the bottom of the wall! COCKROACH!!!! Pregnant cockroach!!! Please don't stay here for your own good. I felt gross for staying here.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Csongedi
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 June 2011

The staff was friendly. The room wasn't the cleanest but I think it needed an update and was more old than dirty. I always travel with my own bed set and towels so that was not an issue. The ac was a little loud but cooled the room to an amazing temperature. Great location and good value for the money you pay. If your not planning on living on your hotel room during vacation this would be a good hotel.

• Stayed November 2010