“Beware....”

Capt. John Smith Inn
Ranked #67 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 18 June 2012

The price was right but I am SO GLAD we only had to sleep there one night! Pillows hard as a rock! luckily we had our own in the car, a/c was unplugged when entered the room and thought it was an energy saving technique, but no it's just that that's the only way to turn it off, alarm clock unplugged as well and tried plugging it in, but it did not work at all!, I was the last one out of our family to take a shower and when I unfolded the last "clean" towel it had a dark black/brown smudge on it so I just reused my kids towels which seemed much cleaner eventhough they had already been used, tub plug was removed and for some reason laying behind the toilet - I certainly wasn't going to be the one to dig it out from there, night stand and dresser both had sticky spots and stains on them, and utility "trap door" beside one bed was half falling off. The continental breakfast was less than desirable so we went to Dunkin Donuts down the road. As I said the price was great but after staying, I saw why! And I suppose it worked for only having to stay one night (definitely couldn't have stayed longer!)as a stop over before continuing on our way to Outer Banks.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 June 2012

I take visits to Williamsburg once in 2-3 months. I have stayed in various motels in the same city but never found like this one until my last visit on Memorial weekend.
It was a great and enjoyable stay. I stayed for 4 days and never had a single doubt about the price and service. Clean rooms, convincing breakfast ( incl. waffles YYUUMMYY!!) and elegant location.
Starting from polite service from front desk to asking for a receipt at the end of fourth day..NO PROBLEMS

Read the review about the place before going over about bugs (but i had no choice) , i was amazed NO BUGS .. i found from the housekeeping staff that they have done treatments recently.

Also, its elegantly located opposite to Yankee Candle and Oliver Garden. Across the street are also Red Lobster and Carrabas.. If that's not enough..7-eleven is next door.

I would recommend this place to every visitor going to Williamsburg who wants to a room for best price and with simple and sober services. I AM COMING BACK TOOOOOOOOO..(;

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor near swimming pool. ROOM 123
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank edward j
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Thank you for your review on your stay at the Travelodge Willimaburg central. We do our best to service alll of our guests. Please try us again on your next trip to Williamsburg, VA.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this Travelodge this past Memorial Day weekend as well as a year ago. Both times we were pleased with the friendly and endearing manager, Gatu, as well as the quaint, but charming room. We are both world travelers and have stayed in a wide range of accomodations. We expected motel accomodations and that is what we received.

The motel is in an excellent location across the street from Olive Garden and Carrabba's and within walking distance of other restaurants. Moreover, the outlets and other shopping areas are a 5 min drive west, while the historic downtown is a quick 10 min drive east.

We had the same room both visits and were not disturbed by any neighbor's noise. We were not on the side near the train tracks, nor did we ever hear any train noise. The room's furnishings, appliances (coffee machine/refridgerator/ microwave), and bed were clean. The TV worked perfectly and there were no problems with getting hot water or water pressure. Our bathroom had no mold and the caulk around the tub and shower looked brand new. We very much like that there is an ice-machine on-site as we used the ice to keep our packed lunches cold for our Saturday and Sunday day trips.

While the beds could be more comfortable, the towels thicker, and the A/C unit quieter, our expectations were for a motel not a hotel. After reading the negative reviews, I am irked that people expect hotel-quality towels, bedding, and more from a budget motel. If you wanted thick towels, new mattressses, white-glove cleanliness, and a completely quiet room, go pay the 200+ for a hotel room. My boyfriend and I are happy to save the money and support a local family.

Room Tip: We have stayed on the second floor both times which may help reduce noise. If you want a thick ba...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Please try us again when you are in Williamsburg, VA.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

I received a free weekend for this hotel. I read the previous reviews and decided my wife and I would go anyway as we can usually make the best of whatever problems should come our way.
We were skeptical of the fact that it could not be as bad as some reviews made it sound.

Boy was I wrong!

Upon entering the room Friday afternoon, I closed the door, noting the fact that there was not a tight seal around the door. Daylight shined through around the top and side of the door.

I then noticed two dead roaches on the floor under the window while turning on the a/c. I forgot about the bugs because the a/c did not work. The unit was not plugged in. I tried to plug it into the 220-volt wall outlet and the wall outlet pushed into the wall. I gently pulled the receptacle out of the wall and plugged it in, after a few minutes, it only blew out warm air. I tried turning it off, only to understand why it was unplugged. It would not turn off. Therefore, I unplugged it, pulling the entire outlet totally from the wall box doing so. Long story short, they decided to replace the whole unit. Leaving the loose 220-volt outlet dangling within the wall box.

Even though the hotel website shows a king size bed with a couch with two end tables, the king rooms have two stiff chairs (with complimentary multiple cigarette burn holes) and a round table that if you move, you notice the two perfect matching iron burn spots in the carpet.

Next notable annoyance was the bathroom fan; it was so noisy I swore a helicopter was landing on the roof whenever we turned it on.

The non-skid matt permanently affixed to the bathtub looks as if it has been ready for a replacement since 1970.

I will not mention the mold spots in the caulk around the tub and wall tiles.

I also will not comment on the horrible tape and spackle job the length of the bed wall, I will say however if you are thinking of using the person who spackled and painted our hotel room, You are better off letting my dog repair your sheetrock. It would look a lot better.

In this hotel, having wallpaper hang off the wall in various spots around the room, must add ambience to the room I guess. As all walls had at least a corner dropping or separated from the wall.

There was a random bolt protruding from the ceiling down about two inches. Not sure why, but the nut and bolt were sprayed with the same popcorn as the rest of the ceiling, so it must have been there for a reason. Maybe it is holding the bed upstairs in place.

The wall where the bed was has the metal channel for hiding the electric to the wall-mounted lamps, but even though the channels are there, the wall mounted lamp cords were hanging off the wall and each cord is plugged into separate extension cords. Those extension cords go down and run in between the mattress and box spring until they reach the wall box located at the middle of the wall behind the head of the bed. Since this wall box is located dead center in the middle of the bed and the mattress is pushed right up against it, bending and crushing each of the extension cord plugs to the side.

To my dismay, it did get worse. Less then twenty feet behind the actual hotel building, NOT the property line, the building. There are train tracks. Long, Loud, rumbling freight trains make regular trips down these tracks. All Day and all nightlong they go.
Just when you think, you get used to the building shaking as if the train is in the room with you, a high-speed line will sneak through and shake and rattle the hell out of your room and be gone before you even knew what happened.
By the way, Those dead roaches from Friday, were still there Sunday morning when we left.

Room Tip: Days in down the street is where we're staying on our next trip. looks a lot nicer.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1331carson
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I have low standards for hotels. I don't need room service, I don't care if the carpets not vacuumed, and restrooms have to be pretty disgusting for me to complain about them. That said, things I won't tolerate are mold, bugs/bedbugs, and beds covered in filth left behind from the people who were there before me. This hotel had all three.

The attendant at the desk was nice to give a discount from $64 to $52. I thought it was a good start. Room 109 is what I got. I drove up there, opened the door, and the smell hit me while I was standing outside. I went inside to look, and found that the smell was coming from an ironing board in the back of the room that was covered in mold. I assumed it could have been the result of the recent hurricane. I don't know where the flood zones were afterall. So, I asked if I we could get a new room, to which the attendant politely obliged, and then apologized. I said, "It's okay." Afterall, it wasn't her fault.

Room 206, second floor. Seemed much better, until I was about to lay down on the bed to take a quick nap before bringing things in. I'm glad I didn't bring anything in yet. There was a bug crawling on the bed. Okay, big deal, right? Sure, but it still warants looking under the covers. Pulled up the covers to see more bugs scatter off behind the bed. I was worried there might be bed bugs too, so to make sure, I pulled off the fitted sheet on the bed, What did I see? Eggs, human hairs, and all colors and shapes of small pieces of filth.

Back at the lobby, I asked for a refund. They sent someone back to the room with a two-way radio. That person called back to the attendant, and yelled, "They tore the room up! There's nothing wrong with the room. These sheets are clean." The attendant then told me that they could not offer a refund if there was no legitimate reason to leave, despite the fact that we weren't in either room for even five minutes. I restated what we found. The attendant then talked to someone in the back who said, "Just give them their money back. We cleaned those rooms but --muffled speech--" She then handed me a receipt that said $0.00 on it, and told me that the transaction had not gone through yet. I'm looking at pending transactions right now in my bank account, and if I find that it does go through later, I will be taking necessary action. I've had it happen before with another business years back.

This happened an hour ago. I don't usually write reviews. I don't have the time. But this wasn't minor inconveniences. Mold is dangerous, and I wouldn't suggest that anyone with kids should stay here. While I'm wrapping this up, I feel like those bugs are crawling all over me. I don't see them, but because I've seen them before, I'm sort of becoming paranoid. Bedbugs and ticks are deal-breakers for hotels. If you do get a room here, check everything, especially under the fitted sheets. That's where all the filth is, and apparently where the bugs breed.

Oh, and since when is pulling up the covers considered "tearing up" a room?

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Anon A
Reviewed 31 July 2011

When we arrived, we were given our room promptly. However, when we actually went to the room, we discovered it was dirty. The nightstand was sticky as if someone had spilled something on it, the refrigerator had ice cream spilled in the freezer, and the air conditioner was blowing only air, not cool air, air.
I called the front desk and they moved us to the room next door. The air conditioner there was worse. They brought us a fan. The heat index was 110, and we were traveling with a sick child.
I again called and he said he would credit my card for the room. Then, he said try one more room. He then moved us downstairs to a room in the corner. The air there was cool, but by no means cold.
We did stay, only because we had paid for the room already.
The beds were clean and comfortable. The surroundings were quiet enough except for the occasional train that ran before 10pm. The room itself was marginally clean. The air conditioners all need to be replaced.
The manager, owner I guess tried to make us happy I guess, but you should not have to move to three different rooms.
Also, the continental breakfast consisted of toast and jelly.
We will not be trying Travelodges in the future....

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Leisa L
Reviewed 23 July 2011

By far, THE WORST place EVER! The room was dirty, electrical outlets and wires hanging out of wall, and BUG INFESTED. Large bug (may have been dead cockroach) on floor and bug casing/shell in bed! Large yellow stain on bedsheet.Poor A/C. The pool was dirty and cloudy (so bad that you couldn't look down and see your legs or feet)! Algae/Dirt scum all over parameter of pool (where nasty water did not cover). Our total stay including unloading and reloading car, making two complaints and taking pictures of this nasty hole was 2 hours. We checked in at 3 and left a 5. Could not stomach the filth any longer. Complained to owner (after his teenaged kid lied and said he wasnt there - same kid that checked us in). Owner refused to refund money and walked off during my complaints (and the show and tell of my pics). RUDE MANAGEMENT who doesn't care about the place or the people. This place was slightly a step above a crack hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011