“No.”

Capt. John Smith Inn
Ranked #67 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 13 January 2013

When I arrived I thought the people who had written positive reviews must have stayed at a different motel. Dingy, dirty, deteriorating. Junk and trash all over the property. Room did not seem clean. Empty plastic cup had fallen behind the night stand and was still there. Even the phone book was sticky. A railroad runs right behind the place. A blight on the travelodge brand. Will not stay there again or recommend.

Room Tip: Can't imagine any room is acceptable, based on mine.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank 709wcr
There are newer reviews for Capt. John Smith Inn

Reviewed 19 December 2012

I have been staying at this hotel for years, the rooms have been clean. The staff is willing to help you in any wat they can. You can walk to many restaurants and Yankee Candle is arcoss the street. For the amount of time one spends in the room this is by far the BEST deal in williamsburg.

Room Tip: Easy to get to the OutLet Mall and walking distance to many restaurant
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I don't usually write hotel reviews, but I had to for this one. I thought I was booking a different Travelodge in Williamsburg that we stayed at before and it was decent. I made a big mistake. This was definitely not the same travelodge.

There looked like there was water damage and mold behind the toilet. It also looked like their was mold along were the ceiling meets the wall near the bathroom. The bed coverlet had a hand size stain on it, that made me wonder if it ever got cleaned. The second night their were mouse dropping in one of the freshly made beds. Yuck!!! My husband didn't tell me till the next morning since I would have freaked!

We had been gone all day long and didn't get back until late at night. I do not even know why we didn't just find another place. I guess because we were really tired. There were trains going by all night long. At least three that I woke up for. And my husband had to stay home today from a bad allergy attack from the mold their. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank yisskah
Reviewed 23 August 2012

My boyfriend and I went up in Williamsburg to spend the day at Busch Gardens. After a long (but very fun) day, we were exhausted and ready to crash - unfortunately this is NOT the place to do that!

The man at the front desk was very kind and helpful, but at 11 PM, we just wanted to sleep and upon opening the door to our room, I realized I was not going to be able to.

The room was disgusting! Stains on the walls and ceiling, ratty old carpeting, and a filthy bed. The box spring was covered in dark, older looking stains and upon pulling back the blanket I found the sheets had white (human) hairs all over! I am pretty sure the sheets had not been cleaned, and housekeeping just re-made the bed. Things went from bad to worse in the bathroom… the sink had a stain which resembled blood, the tissue dispenser (mounted to the sink) was covered in what looked like boogers, blood and skin flakes. As if this was not bad enough, there were small bugs crawling up the walls around the mirror/counter!

Had we not been so exhausted we just would have driven home or found another hotel. It was so bad we contemplated sleeping in the car, but didn’t think it was a safest place considering the condition of the hotel and the fact that it seemed to be full.

Needless to say we were VERY happy to be up and out of there at 5:30 AM.

Had we known the condition on the hotel we would have NEVER booked a room here. Unless you are a pimp, homeless or incredibly desperate I would not recommend this "hotel" to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HSimpson01
Reviewed 7 August 2012

This hotel was clean and comfortable. Great bargain for the price and within walking distance to shopping and restaurants. The only downside is there are train tracks behind the hotel and the train runs frequently but it didn't bother us that much as we did not spend much time in the room.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I cant really be too surprised I didnt like it here because it was so cheap. The beds (full size, not queen) are like bricks, the teeny tiny breakfast area has no variety: waffles you make yourself, fruit loops, frosted flakes, coffee, juice. (No exagerration.) Towels look like they had seen better days, and they weren't replenished when they cleaned the room. Also, I saw what I believe to be a few code violations: loose outlet covers, haphazard extention cords. I do have to say that the room was clean, and it did have a mini fridge and microwave. An upside, it is across the street from the Yankee Candle flagship store. But, one night here is all I could take. If you are planning an extended day, just spend the extra money and get someplace you will be comfortable in.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank bkhm563
Reviewed 15 July 2012

The room was clean (and believe me, I looked) & smelled fresh. There was a variety of pillows on the queen sized bed so we could use which kind made us most comfy. Bathroom was nice & roomy, clean, & the towels were soft, fluffy & smelled good. The room had chairs & a table for relaxing, the refrigerator chilled nicely, the air conditioner had the room good & cool in no time. Check in & out was easy, the gentleman behind the counter was pleasant. We were out early in the morning so didn't stay for breakfast or get to use the pool, but we could see that the pool looked clean. It's an older motel but it was good value for what we needed & I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. It's centrally located, literally across the road from the Yankee Candle factory, close to everything!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple