“I'd rather sleep in the car”

Capt. John Smith Inn
Ranked #67 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
A TripAdvisor Member
“I'd rather sleep in the car”
Reviewed 14 July 2004

Place is dirty and old. We checked in and out in minutes. I booked through travelodge.com and they refuse to refund. It cost me $200 but I was not going to let my wife and kids sleep here. It's apparent this place is not kept.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed 21 June 2004

The picture is very nice, but the stay was worse than horrible, the train is right behind the hotel. The manager on duty was rude and informed us he did'nt care about public relations, we were quoted one price charged another than when we checked out he informed us his clerk made an error and we would need to pay more money, if we did'nt he would just charge our credit card without authorization. Take advise from someone who stayed there don't stay there.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 June 2004

We arrieved at Captain Jhn Smith Inn on Saturday June 12th. I had reservations for 4 Adults. We were all present at check in. The clerk was nice I gave her my credit card and she put the chanrges on it for 2 nights. Our experences were ok until Sunday night when my Niece call the front desk to get a wake up call. The Manager answed the phone and said he would do the wake up call, but someone needed to come to the office and pay the rest of the bill, Needless to say he was very rude. He said we did not pay for all the people and went on and on. I will never stay at this Motel again and will tell my friends about the experience. Thanks, Shirley Swink

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
OH
Reviewed 14 June 2004

We stay at his motel for 1 night every year on our way to the OBX. It is definitely not a fabulous place and there is a train that runs by. I would request a room towards the front of the motel where it is a bit quieter. A bunch of the rooms have been remodeled, but that ones that have not are a bit run down. During the summer, they have foreign exchange students that run the front desk and it may be difficult to get good service. The good news is that the location is good. There is a Red Lobster across the street and a place for breakfast next door. And it is much cheaper than many of the other places nearby (for a reason). When I called recently to make our reservations for this year, I asked about the photos on the internet and was informed that they were trying to get that taken care (the pictures are not of their hotel and would be VERY misleading). All in all, not a bad place for the price considering the location. I am not sure that I would stay here if Williamsburg was my final destination. Good for a night of "roughing it".

3 Thank tstackett
Reviewed 1 June 2004

Do not be fooled by the pictures of a canopy bed and luxury. This Inn is a dump. The bathrooms, the towels and the bed sheets were dirty and full of hairs. We found left over food and drinks in the mini fridge from previous guests. It is not colonial at all, the pictures are false advertisement. We addressed these issues to the manager and he didn't care, he kept saying we have to deal with the 1800hotels were we placed our reservations. Do not make the mistake of staying there, it is a terrible experience, especially because the place is dirty.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 12 April 2004

The good news -- The room was freshly painted and the furniture was better than most low-cost motels. The location was excellent for restaurant choices and proximity.

The bad news -- the train tracks are 70 feet behind the motel -- passing trains shook every piece of furniture in the room. Three very noisy trains per hour from 9:30pm through 01:30am. Starting at 6:30am the noisy shower drains competed with occasional trains for our attention.

Nobody told us in advance about the train noise and the front desk never once fessed up.

7 Thank Chef_RA99