“Very pleasant experienc”

Williamsburg Plantation Resort
Reviewed 12 April 2007

Check-in was a breeze. Our unit was clean and quite comfortable. No washer/dryer in the unit, but a laundry area on the second floor landing that you only shared with one other unit. Easy drive to attractions and restaurants. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank jcsmith65

Reviewed 19 March 2007

My stay at the Williamsburg Plantation (March 10-17th) was very good. Check-in was a breeze and they allowed me to check-in at 12 PM. I stayed in the new units which had large tv's and dvd players (I understand that the older units have vhs). Furnished nicely and the beds slept great. I especially enjoyed the large jacuzzi tub!

On-site- The indoor pool and spa were great. The kids spent hours there. The staff turned up the heat in the spa on request.
Kids also participated in some activities. Staff was very pleasant and my son enjoyed making his souvenier bag and placemat.

Great location: Off of Richmond Road in a quiet area. EZ Access to Colonial Williamsburg + Busch Gardens.

Took the tour and it was the typical timeshare tour. $75 and free breakfast or lunch. Took about 2.5 hours total. High pressure, but no worse than others I have been on.

If you are an Interval Int'l owner check the site for unbelievable rates. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
9  Thank hwt.
Reviewed 29 November 2006

I was a bit skeptical about staying at Williamsburg Plantation after reading some of the reviews, but our timeshare place was unavailable. My husband and I brought my parents and our daughter along as a getaway weekend and we were all impressed. I was expecting less than average accomodations, but we were greatly surprised (thank goodness!)

We had a 2 BR, 2 Bath condo and it was wonderful. One of the bedrooms had a King size bed and the other had a queen, as well as a sofa bed in the living room. We had plenty of space for everyone and there was a DVD player in the living room.

The only thing that we were unhappy with is that we did not have a kitchen (which I thought we had when I booked it).

We will stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
11  Thank mamasgurl
Reviewed 25 November 2006

I exchanged my timeshare for the Williamsburg Plantation. Our stay at Williamsburg Plantation (8/26-9/1/2006) was pleasant for the most part. Mother Nature put an end to our vacation one day earlier than we had planned and ww were chased home by Tropical Storm Ernesto. I travel quite often and most of the time things go rather smoothly and I have little or no complaints about the hotel or its accommodations and/or amenities. Sadly this is not true after my visit to Williamsburg Plantation. I would have liked to express some of my comments directly to the manager on the morning that we departed, however, the weather was so bad that we really needed to check-out and get on the road quickly.

In retrospect, at the time of check-in, I should have asked some questions about our unit. One question I should have asked is whether or not the unit was new or not. I had done a lot of research on Williamsburg Plantation before we arrived, so I thought most of the amenities that were advertised were pretty much what I observed. Our unit slept 6. There were 2 BRs - one that was the Master suite with its' own bathroom and had a queen bed, the other BR had 2 twins. There was also a pull-out sofa in the living room. The 2nd bathroom could be entered from the hallway and also from the bedroom. This one had a jacuzzi tub as well as a shower stall. Our unit had a VCR and not a DVD player. We brought only DVDs for my niece. I guess the upgraded units had the DVDs. The living room furniture was worn and there were some stains on the carpet. The kitchen was well-stocked, we had a dining table, chairs. Plenty of storage for the food we brought with us. However, our unit was NOT one of the new ones. It had a lot of wear and tear. It was comfortable and clean but having exchanged my timeshare, I expected to stay in one of the newer units. No daily maid service, by the way. You are expected to bring out your own trash to the dumpster.

The one thing that disturbed me was the lack of security when clearly there is a front gate, booth, and signage that instruct you to show your key in order for the gate to go up. When we drove in the first day, I did not think anything of it. I just thought the gate was not working or the security person may have been on a break. As we drove out for dinner that evening and everyday after that, I realized there wasn’t any security. This was a bit disturbing as the complex is located right off a main road. Anyone can wander onto the property, use the pool or any other amenity and go unnoticed as there is no security to monitor possible intruders. We were told to put our parking pass in our car window when parked in front of the units. You know, we forgot to do this 2 nights and nothing happened. I thought for sure the first time we forgot, we would find a notice on our car the next morning. But then again, there isn’t any security checking. This is very uncommon as the other Interval International timeshare resorts where I have stayed all had security and front gates.

The pool water was clean, the pool area was clean, had plenty of chairs, tables with umbrellas, etc. I was surprised that in the 2 days I spent by the pool, not one manager or hotel employee walked through to observe. I recognize that many resorts no longer have lifeguards and that the pool is “swim at your own risk.” This part is fine. The other part of a lifeguard’s job also includes putting a stop to horse-play, running around the pool area, ball-playing, etc. This is where a manager or other personnel should walk through to make sure none of the above is occurring. In those 2 days I spent by the pool, I observed pre-teen and teenaged children playing rough in the pool where toddlers and small children were swimming. I observed one child stand on the iron gate that separated the kiddie pool from the other pool. I also witnessed, food left behind on lounge chairs when clearly the sign says “no food” which I also find to be a bit strange because they sell hot dogs, chips and lemonade twice per week at the pool area. Which is it? No food allowed or only food that is sold at the pool is allowed. We made sure that we read the sign when we first checked-in. We did not bring anything to the pool that first day. Only when we saw that people brought their coolers to the pool area, we did the same on the 2nd day. After all, there wasn’t an employee walking around to enforce the rules.

A day before we left Wiliamsburg, we experienced a brown-out in our unit as it appeared that lightening struck our building. I called the front desk using my cell phone as our phone went dead when the lightening struck. The front desk person informed me that lightening had indeed struck some of the buildings as well as the main building. My brother-in-law found the fuse box and the electricity went on again. The next morning, our cable was restored but the phone was still dead. I had expected to find a note posted in the lobby or a note under our door explaining what had happened the evening before. I believe it is the hotel’s responsibility to notify their guests about what occurred. I am surprised about the lack of communication from the Williamsburg Plantation staff.

On the eve of our departure, I called the front desk and once again had to use my cell phone. At this point, the rain storm had begun. I asked the front desk person about the local weather report. We were getting weather reports on TV from surrounding areas but not for Williamsburg. The front desk person basically told me to turn on the TV. Duh...like I didn't think of that myself. When I called back a few hours later, the front desk person was even less helpful as he literally read word for word the weather report that appeared on the Weather channel - the same channel I had on my TV set. We decided to leave one day earlier than planned so that we can be a bit ahead of the storm.

Frankly, I find the lack of customer service by the front desk personnel to be extremely uncharacteristic of hotel employees. When told that our phone was still not working, instead of apologizing – which is customer service 101 education - the front desk person asked why we did not report it. This only infuriated me more. I took the liberty of recommending that perhaps in the future, Williamsburg Plantation should inform their guests of inclement weather by posting a weather report in the lobby or sticking a flyer put under the door of each unit. Further, a call to each of the units, while time-consuming, would be very helpful and comforting to guests not accustomed to storms of this nature.

Williamsburg Plantation is not a five or even four star hotel as it is advertised to be on Interval International’s website. I give it 3 stars and that is pushing it. It's too bad because the location was perfect. Close to all the historic sites, restaurants, shopping, and Busch Gardens. I would return to Williamsburg but not to this resort.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
13  Thank smtt
Reviewed 16 November 2006

I have stayed at Williamsburg Plantation every year since November 2002 and have encountered none of the turn-offs I have read in other reviews My most recent stay was in June 2006 and it was just as good as the others. I have always looked forward to going back.

The first time, we were not aware it was a timeshare presentation, but not because they were deceptive. They put us up in one of the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor Center motels and gave us a tour of the resort. My friend that I work for surprised me by buying one for his corporation. (As single Christians we don't vacation with women while unmarried.)

The lower-level sales personnel come and go and vary in quality, (most have been no problem), but the management have been friendly and helpful. If you accidentally leave something behind, and notify them quickly, they have a service that can mail it back to you. Yes, you pay for the shipping but that's only fair.

The rooms and appliances have always been clean. I have stayed in two or three different sizes of units there, both with the microwave and with the full kitchen, (many are A/B lockout units where downstairs has a full kitchen and upstairs doesn't). Linens have always been clean and complete. Never any bugs. Occasionally a view of units under construction or a block in preparation for them. (We didn't come to Williamsburg to sit in the room and look out the windows all day.) As for complaints about pool towels, they expect you to bring one to the clubhouse with you - but there should be plenty in your room and they were good quality. The clubhouse offers Internet access, with three monitors of their own and wireless or Ethernet access for your laptop. There are two supermarkets within 10 minutes drive and another a bit further. Maps are available of the local area for driving to Colonial Williamsburg or restaurants, of which there are plenty. There are a variety of churches.

In summary, I have always enjoyed staying there, and those few minor things that I might not want to repeat, (such as a salesperson the first year who made certain claims about local building restrictions imposed by the Rockefellers - which a sensible buyer could check out in town), didn't recur. Real life continues while on vacation.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with friends
6  Thank SvensKenR
Reviewed 26 October 2006

What a Great stay..October 18 to the 22nd..

My two best friends from Boston meet every year for our girls trip and we were so surprised how wonderful this visit in Williamsburg was..The condo was beyond our expectations..The whole experience in Williamsburg was super.. The condo was on the first floor and quite large.. 1200 sq ft..Everything looked brand new..Beds were comfortable. Linens were too. The weather was cool so I being from Tampa really liked that...All the restrauants were fun and the trip to Jamestowns was so educational..I would recommend the Taverns down town and having lunch at the Old Chickahominy House.. Lots of stuff to buy too. Once again don't be afraid to stay at the Williamsburg Plantation...It was a pleasure to stay there...

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
9  Thank livingfine
Reviewed 11 October 2006

My family and I stayed at the Williamsburg Plantation from June 24 to July 1. It was a wonderful experience. That week the weather on most of the east coast was torrentially rainy, but some how we seemed to keep missing the downpours. The staff was helpful with weather updates and how that would affect the areas attractions.
Our one bedroom unit was roomy and spotless. The only drawback was that the bed in the master bedroom was a full not a queen.
We have one child and he could have slept on the pull out sofa but as we don't like making up the couch every morning while on vacation, the staff graciously sent up a cot that was perfect for my 11 year old boy. The unit had a shared laundry with the other unit on our floor. It came in very handy with bathing suits and other wet items. The bathroom was great; double sink, Roman tub, glass encased shower stall, very luxurious.
The concierge Scott was a top level performer. He made golf reservations for my son and I to play at nearby (5 minutes drive) Kiskiak Country Club. Because of the relationship this property has with areas golf courses (it is an Interval International golf resort for you II members) the greens fees were downright cheap and they threw in the rentals.
The outdoor and indoor pools are adjacent to one another and are conveniently located behind the main building. We also played tennis and basketball on the courts directly behind our unit. Quality amenities.
This was an excellent choice for our family; near all the major attractions (Water Country USA, Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown etc), near many fine food choices and close to the main thoroughfares.
The Williamsburg Plantation is tops in our book