“Eggplant Parm and Penne a la putanesca”

Giuseppe's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 411 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Beautiful interior, nice atmosphere, waitress was very attentive.

We ordered the eggplant parmigiana and the penne a la putanesca. The presentation of the eggplant parmigiana was superior! However, the eggplant had been heavily breaded and cooked too long in oil which had seen better days. A choice of salad or soup came with the eggplant entree. I chose the lentil soup and that was excellent! I was surprised that a small serving of pasta did not accompany the eggplant.

John ordered a salad to accompany his penne. The house salad was okay; however, the penne a la putanesca had too much sugar in the sauce. He ate half of the dish. I sampled it to see if I would like to take the rest home for later for me and the dogs. I also agreed; the dish was not worth boxing and taking home. We had two glasses of wine. Both were good.

Hopefully, the cook will improve the taste of these two entrees.

2  Thank Robert O
Write a ReviewReviews (1,343)

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Much better than any main-strip restaurant in Williamsburg. Amazing italian in large portions. Very kind service. If you want italian food here, this is the best option, by far.

3  Thank Steven W
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at Fords Colony and fell in love with this restaurant! They make the BEST mojitos! They go to their garden and pick fresh mint and I have never had one so terrific! Anthony is the owner and he was wonderful. The food is terrific! We had to go there almost every night because we loved it! The eggplant and salmon are perfect! I had those every time. We went to other places that ranked higher and they did not come close! I told my husband lets forget the list and go back the rest of the week! We will be back soon and are staying at Kingsmill Resort which we also love. We will see Anthony and the rest of the crew when we return. Great job to everyone there and Thank you! Teresa DeMarco

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

We started with the amazing calamari - so fresh and delicious and dipped in the marinara sauce - yum! Then I tried the lentil soup which was incredible (it was featured in Bon Appetit in 1997). Oh & the homemade bread - wow...warm, crisp on outside and soft on the inside.
The scallops were awesome, homemade pasta with the Pasta Bolognese awesome, and my husband loved the Cured Pork & Grilled Pineapple Pizza.
So nice to meet and talk with the owner Joe.

3  Thank smileg2
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We ate lunch at Giuseppes and enjoyed every aspect of our visit. The food was well-prepared and delicious; the waitress was just the right combination of friendlimness and help, and the owner even came to talk with us . . . twice! We plan to go back for dinner tomorrow night.

2  Thank Jeffrey T